Guam, Saipan, Tinian & Iwo Jima...

759 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by byfLuger41
byfLuger41
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'll be going on a WW2, Island Hopping campaign starting March 14th through March 29th, 2019.

Any suggestions on must brings? Do's or don'ts? After researching the past few months, the common trend is layers, lightweight and waterproof.

I've never been west of a Hawaii so any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and Gig'em!
2017 World Series Champions - Houston Astros
BackwardsInBoots
AG
You're actually going to Iwo Jima? I've heard it's very difficult to get access to - something like only 1 tour allowed a year.
clintalmighty
AG
Sounds like OP is going on a tour like this, which i believe is the only way for a civilian to visit the island. Out of curiosity OP, how long did you have to book in advance?

https://stephenambrosetours.com/tour/iwo-jima-tour/
byfLuger41
AG
clintalmighty said:

Sounds like OP is going on a tour like this, which i believe is the only way for a civilian to visit the island. Out of curiosity OP, how long did you have to book in advance?

https://stephenambrosetours.com/tour/iwo-jima-tour/

That is the exact tour I'm going on. Ambrose tours is first class when it comes to WW2 travel. I did the Band Of Brothers tour in 2016 and it was amazing! We started at Toccoa (add on) and ended in Berchtesgaden.

The Pacific tour starts in Hawaii and ends after the Iwo trip, but added the Peleliu extension. I booked my trip in February 2018 for the March 2019 tour.

Pro tip: While in Europe, many museums gave Ambrose exclusive visits. Some places would close to the public and only host our group, while others would open up just for us if they were normally closed. Ambrose Tours commands respect and has report with many museums and churches where our boys fought years ago.

I highly suggest using them if you're considering any WW2 type travel.

HTH
2017 World Series Champions - Houston Astros
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.