Switzerland and Germany

2,332 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SwissAgg
AggieCrew2002
How long do you want to ignore this user?
In 3 weeks my wife and I are going to Zurich, Lucerne ans Heidelberg, Germany.

Any recommendations on places to eat and things to do?
SwissAgg
AG
AggieCrew2002 said:

In 3 weeks my wife and I are going to Zurich, Lucerne ans Heidelberg, Germany.

Any recommendations on places to eat and things to do?
How long are you staying?
AggieCrew2002
1 week
SwissAgg
AG

Zurich
https://le-dezaley.ch/ - traditional swiss food

Luzern
https://www.desalpes-luzern.ch/de/Gastronomie/Restaurant - traditional swiss food

There is a brewery on the river that is good for beer.

Rathaus Brauerei
https://www.rathausbrauerei.ch/ - good beer, not as expensive

https://www.brasseriebodu.ch/ - French food, expensive
dcAg
Of course the Schloss in Heidelberg.
HamptonTomatoes
AG
The dinner and show at Stadtkeller in Lucern is a great time. Traditional music and food. Volunteer for the yodelling and beer chugging.

https://www.swissfolkloreshow.com/en/folklore-shows
aTm2004
AG
Go to the older part of Zurich to get the authentic European feel. I have a buddy who has lived in Zurich for 10 years and took a couple of days off to show us around, and we spent over half a day in that part of Zurich.

If you're getting a car, I'd also suggest going up to Rhine Falls and Schaffhausen.

If you're getting a Swiss Pass (I'd highly suggest it as they are strict about ticketing), you should also look at taking the train to Thun, Bern, and some of the other towns between Zurich and Geneva. I really had a great time just stopping off at these types of towns and just walking around for a few hours with nothing really planned.
AggieCrew2002
On the plane to Zrich as I type this. About 3 hours in over the Atlantic out of Philadelphia
SwissAgg
AG
AggieCrew2002 said:

On the plane to Zrich as I type this. About 3 hours in over the Atlantic out of Philadelphia
So, what are your plans now? Weather is not too cold here.

Niederdorf in Zurich
Luzern
Lausanne
Grindelwald
AggieCrew2002
So been meaning to tell about this trip.

My wife and I started in Zurich, we stayed at in old town near the lake in a quaint Sheraton Schloss.

We just kind of took it easy in Zurich to get adjusted with the time. We visited the Gross Muenster. Largest Protestant Church in Switzerland. Ate a great dinner of schnitzel at Zeughauskeller a former armory now beer hall. Outstanding!

After 1 day in Zurich we took the train to Heidelberg, Germany. We stayed at the Marriott which is directly on the Neckar River.

Heidelberg was amazing. I love German culture. Food is amazing. Old town was like stepping into a fairy tale. The Schlos of Heidelberg is a must. Built in 1200. Love how it towers over the river and the city.

After 2 days we hopped back on the train and went back to Switzerland to Lucerne. Lucerne was our favorite part. I went here when I was 15 and remember much of that trip. I'm 40 now so much was new to me as well.

We stayed at the Renaissance. Great location and very nice hotel. Hotel was close to everything so we could walk everywhere.

Shopped in Old Town bought a couple of Cookoo Clocks. And the best part was going to Buchererer. The largest jewelry store in all of Europe. Swiss Made watch galore. My wife got her a Rolex and I got me a Tag Heuer. The prices are not any cheaper.

The Swiss Chocolate is delicious. Beats anything we have hear.

We had our best meal in Lucerne. At the Old Swiss House built in 1860, been owned by the same family since the beginning. Celebrities from all over the world have eaten here including 3 US Presidents. Carter, Nixon and LBJ. Roger Federer is a frequent patron.

The Swiss Alps in Lucerne are just breathtaking views and the lake make for a picturesque moment like from a Christmas movie.
SwissAgg
AG
AggieCrew2002 said:

So been meaning to tell about this trip.

My wife and I started in Zurich, we stayed at in old town near the lake in a quaint Sheraton Schloss.

We just kind of took it easy in Zurich to get adjusted with the time. We visited the Gross Muenster. Largest Protestant Church in Switzerland. Ate a great dinner of schnitzel at Zeughauskeller a former armory now beer hall. Outstanding!

After 1 day in Zurich we took the train to Heidelberg, Germany. We stayed at the Marriott which is directly on the Neckar River.

Heidelberg was amazing. I love German culture. Food is amazing. Old town was like stepping into a fairy tale. The Schlos of Heidelberg is a must. Built in 1200. Love how it towers over the river and the city.

After 2 days we hopped back on the train and went back to Switzerland to Lucerne. Lucerne was our favorite part. I went here when I was 15 and remember much of that trip. I'm 40 now so much was new to me as well.

We stayed at the Renaissance. Great location and very nice hotel. Hotel was close to everything so we could walk everywhere.

Shopped in Old Town bought a couple of Cookoo Clocks. And the best part was going to Buchererer. The largest jewelry store in all of Europe. Swiss Made watch galore. My wife got her a Rolex and I got me a Tag Heuer. The prices are not any cheaper.

The Swiss Chocolate is delicious. Beats anything we have hear.

We had our best meal in Lucerne. At the Old Swiss House built in 1860, been owned by the same family since the beginning. Celebrities from all over the world have eaten here including 3 US Presidents. Carter, Nixon and LBJ. Roger Federer is a frequent patron.

The Swiss Alps in Lucerne are just breathtaking views and the lake make for a picturesque moment like from a Christmas movie.
Glad you enjoyed it here. Hopefully, you will come back.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.