Airbnb Restitution Question

2,002 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by DannyDuberstein
dummble
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We stayed at an Airbnb that was a great price in a great location. Place is booked up for months and our 3 days just fit into 3 they had open this month. The place is even better than the pictures, the location is even better than we thought. The amenities, beds, linens were great. Everything clean, nothing falling apart. Blown away by the view. 5 star review no doubt.

But we were coming from skiing, tired, hungry, it's 28 degrees outside. We trek up the hill to the house, punch in the door code, and it's freezing inside. NBD I'll turn on the heat. No response upstairs or downstairs. I text the owners. They respond super quick. My wife is now under 2 blankets in front of the gas fireplace. I decide to run a bath since she can at least warm up and get clean. No hot water. Figure the house is on a boiler and I find a tankless system in a closet that is not on. I text the owners and they say they are on it. According to his texts he had gone through 3 repairmen since it was a snowstorm outside. We got to the house around 5pm and walked to the bar to get some food and heat at 7:45. The repairman had my number and texted me at 830 and had it fixed by 9. We got back to the house around 930 and it was warm. Night saved. I had been looking at hotels.

I have not left a review because I am not sure what to do. I know it is not a hotel and there is not another room to move us too. They were very prompt and got it fixed in 4 hours which is awesome. But those were an awful 4 hours being cold and in need of a hot shower. Should I ask the owner for a portion of the first night back? Should I ask Airbnb? Personally I am not sure I am owed anything.
stardustag
AG

I would ask the owner first before leaving a review. can't hurt. Depending on the owner's attitude/response, you can decide what you want to write in the review.
jakal0722
Though unfortunate for you, it seems as if the owner did everything he could to expedite a remedy. 4 hours from finding out an issue to getting it resolved is super quick. I wouldn't throw him under the Airbnb bus as it seems they did the best they could. If you really want restitution, I agree that contacting the owner would be the most proper. If everything else was fantastic, I'm not sure I would ask at all. In the review I would even talk about the issue and how fast is was resolved. Would actually be a boon for the owners place.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Yeah IMO you aren't owed anything, at most 25% of the daily rate. If I was the owner I might offer you that credit on a future booking. If I was booking this place and read your review I'd still not question booking there. I doubt your review would dissuade anyone and most likely be viewed as positive by most because you are right, it's Airbnb not a hotel
htxag09
AG
I'd imagine most of their profit if not more than their profit for your whole stay went to the expediting fees to fix this issue.

Sure, you could ask for some of a refund or credit for the hassle. But, as others stated, IMO the home owner did everything they could to get the issue fixed as quickly as they could. **** happens, they did what they could to fix it.....
Federale01
AG
We're you going to go to the restaurant anyway? If you're only out a couple of hours and a delayed hot shower in an otherwise great experience, I wouldn't say anything. Crappy linens, wide angle lens, or oversold amenities? Then maybe. But as is it, it's going to be a funny memory about a great trip here in a few more weeks.
Vernada
AG
S happens. If it would have been all night fine you have a point. As it is it sounds like you are being petty about a bad situation that the owner resolved as quickly as possible.
proudaggie02
AG
Agree with the others. It sounds like the owner handled it as well as possible.
WoMD
proudaggie02 said:

Agree with the others. It sounds like the owner handled it as well as possible.

I agree. This sounds like the people I was afraid would go on yelp to tear me up over every opportunity. A couple of them loved threatening me if I didn't give them something to keep them quiet. I usually laughed.
aggiedata
AG
Would you stay there again? that's your answer.
Vernada
AG
aggiedata said:

Would you stay there again? that's your answer.

Based on his description I'd stay there!
FrontPorchAg
Welcome to life in the mountains.

All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others
Danger Mouse
AG
One of "those" Americans.
dummble
AG
Maybe I am underselling the heat and the fact that we are from Texas. It was cold, we were wet and tired and we go into a house and can still see our breath. This was supposed to be a respite from the weather outside not a continuation. I love fun miserable stories but my wife not so much. And definitely not unexpected miserable experiences. I don't leave reviews unless the service was exceptional or horrible or I am forced to in the Airbnb case.

I am fine with the service and the place was great. I am leaving a rave review mentioning the incident as a boon to their customer service.
proudaggie02
AG
^
Nice move.

Also, are you saying Airbnb is making you leave a review? I know they encourage it, but I didn't think they made you. I've never booked an Airbnb stay, but I use Airbnb and VRBO for my two mountain condos.
fire09
AG
If it was me I would be writing a positive review since the owner likely had significant expenses and made an incredible effort to get you fixed so quickly.
If you and your spouse get cold that easily, maybe reconsider your vacation destination next time. 28f isn't that cold and if you were wearing proper gear you shouldn't be soaking wet. Why do you think you should be compensated if the problem was attended to immediately? Because you chose to sit in a cold house while your wife conplained for a few hours instead of going somewhere warm?
wessimo
AG
Airbnb does not force you to leave a review.
imjustsayin
AG
To me, to some degree this is the gamble with going with an Airbnb vs a hotel or something. You accept the risks in exchange for a great priced homey environment with homey amenities, in exchange for the hopefully, less than ideal circumstance.

I agree with others that 4 hrs from arrival to problem solved ain't bad (I couldn't pulll that off in my own house). So definitely wasn't a lack of responsiveness.

Although it doesn't hurt to ask and if there is anything that could be done but I'm not sure if they declined that would affect my review negatively provided they couldn't have done much better upon noticing the issue.

Then again maybe I'm too nice??
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
It should hurt his values to ask, do sellers get to rate tenants? I'd definitely dock the person who was asking for freebies
DannyDuberstein
AG
If you are torn, just don't leave a review. I wouldn't ding them at all for it, and like someone mentioned above, I might leave 5, mention the issue and compliment them on the response. **** breaks even at the Baccarat. As a potential customer, I would take it as a positive sign that if something breaks, the owner is incredibly responsive. And I'm not cheap enough to want to go fight over 20% of a day's rate.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.