Maine/Prince Edward Island/Nova Scotia

1,505 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by HalifaxAg
90 bull
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We are planning a trip to Maine, and we thinking about extending it to PEI and Nova Scotia. Is it worth the extra driving? A noticeably different experience than coastal Maine?
Maximus_Meridius
AG
It's going to depend on how much time you have and how much you're willing to spend where. For me, I have about 2 weeks to play with, and when I've looked at this exact same scenario, the decision has always been we just don't have enough time to do everything we want to do in Maine, while also doing justice to PEI and NS. But my wife and I are borderline obsessed with Acadia and Camden, so we might not be the most objective people for the question. We could spend a month just in Maine.

Don't know if you've ever driven in Maine, but keep in mind that if you decide to drive the coastal highway (Maine Hwy 1), the speed limit tops out at 55, and it's going to take a while to get where you want to go (it's about 4 hours just to get from Portland to Camden using it. The ferry to PEI is also about 5 hours, if I remember right, so that's more time you're in transit and not sightseeing.

I would highly advise making a list of what you want to see/do on this trip. When I did, I found that most of the items were in Maine and I couldn't justify to myself to spend more time in the car to get to PEI.
ToddyHill
AG
If you wanted to experience Eastern Canada, I'd suggest going to New Brunswick. You would not have to ferry, and you'd have easy access to Canada (we flew into Bangor). When I was a kid growing up in Connecticut, we planned a trip to Nova Scotia but opted not to go due to the ferry and the time it took.
Random Ag
AG
Second Maximus' comments about thinking hard whether you want to do that much driving. The Maine coast is huge! We stayed in Milbridge, which is north of Acadia, but also drove up to Lubec that trip. Lots of driving just on day trips around there. Portland is absolutely worth a few days as well (we did that another trip).
ryanhnc10
AG
The highlands in Nova Scotia are very cool and worth a visit. I thought PEI was a big waste of time when I went.
90 bull
AG
So, we are thinking about 10 days in Maine, split between Portland and Acadia area, and a week around the Bay of Fundy and Nova Scotia. Does that sound reasonable?
Random Ag
AG
For the Maine part, I think that sounds great. I would do maybe 2 (or 3) days around Portland and the rest focused on Acadia area (or areas within an hour south or north of there).
IslandAg76
AG
A drive around Cape Breton, after taking ferry to Canada, was enjoyable a number of years ago
BlueAg2003
AG
I'm going to Portland this summer...what are some of the must-do things there?
Jay@AgsReward.com
Sponsor
AG
Eat. And eat very well.
Wicked Good Ag
My grandmother took me on this trip when I was like 8-9 years old. Some of the coastline of Nova Scotia was beautiful IIRC and I don't remember much about Maine but I want to do Maine and would love to go through that part of Canada once again.
That said Acadia National Park would be first and foremost on the top of list
Maximus_Meridius
AG
This thread had some recommendations and links to other threads that might be helpful. Lots of good places to eat. Holy Donut is legit, but don't go in expecting Shipley's. Portland Head Light is crowded, but one of those "must do" things.
HalifaxAg
AG
I've made that drive many times. It's eight hours from Maine to Halifax and it's not too exciting a drive, but can be beautiful if you're not the one driving.

PEI is pretty boring, not worth it...but Cape Breton is stunningly beautiful at the right times of the year. In February, I don't think it's going to be very pretty though. In September, however, I'd prioritize it over Maine.

I hope you have snow tires and experience driving in snow. If not, you need to consider that if going in February-March.

During the summer, Halifax is a lot of fun. The water front, the Citadel, Chickenburger, Freddies Fish House, the downtown farmer's market, Alexander Keith's....all worth visiting. Taking in a Mooseheads game if they are still playing and hoping to win the 50-50. Heck just going to a Canadian Tire store can be fun.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.