Banff, skiing/snowbaording in single digits/negative temps????

1,473 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by imjustsayin
Astroag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Supposed to be headed up there next week but forecast is still in single digits/neg. Any thoughts on actually being able to ski and snowboard in such low temps? Good news is projected lots of fresh powder.

If ya ain't cheatin, you ain't tryin!!!
62strat
AG
Astroag said:

Supposed to be headed up there next week but forecast is still in single digits/neg. Any thoughts on actually being able to ski and snowboard in such low temps? Good news is projected lots of fresh powder.
Just wear jeans, you'll be fine.
Agmaker
Should be great skiing. Use typical layers and you will be fine, now.
drumboy
AG
No problem if the sun is out....if not add an extra layer.
[url=https://ts.la/erik936611]https://ts.la/erik936611[/url]
Use my referral link to buy a Tesla and get awards like 3 months of Full Self-Driving Capability.

Schedule a Tesla Demo Drive using my referral link.
Post removed:
by user
The Lost
Can you? Yes. Will it be fun? Maybe/no.

Layers are important. Hand warmers/toe warmers/face mask are required at that temp. The second anyone's feet get cold it will be miserable and they'll want to quit.

I've done it before, but got cold feet/hands which made it become miserable. Since I'm in colorado, if it is under 10 i'll usually highly consider skipping the day since I get plenty of opportunities.

As others mentioned, if you're with females, make sure they're properly layered/warm or you definitely wont have a good time.
NoHo Hank
AG
Astroag said:

I'm going there over the same time. February 22-March 1. Weather looks chilly but as long as it isn't -20 or so, you'll be fine. Skiing at 0* with a good jacket isn't that bad and I think that's where the temps will stay.

Where're you staying?
jammer262
I've done 20+ days under 0. It's pretty miserable. The secret is not to be the first out, in fact have a great breakfast and roll out around 10:30-11. This serves two purposes, one the lifts have had a chance to run for a bit and the seats won't be covered in ice. Second it will give the sun a chance to somewhat soften the crust that will form overnight.

Cover your face and most importantly the tip of your nose. Make sure the ear pads are in your helmet, if not make sure they are covered too.
Fairview
AG
My pro tip is bring two face masks with you. That way when the first freezes solid from condensation from your breath you can switch it out and just keep rotating as they freeze. Once I started doing that it made the really cold days much more enjoyable.
SwissAgg
AG
I would second the facemask. Take ski goggles as well. I had problems with normal sunglasses.
NoHo Hank
AG
Fairview said:

My pro tip is bring two face masks with you. That way when the first freezes solid from condensation from your breath you can switch it out and just keep rotating as they freeze. Once I started doing that it made the really cold days much more enjoyable.

Keep the second pair in your jacket and your body warmth will dry it out. Pro tip from when I used to mountain climb. If your shirt is tucked in, stick the second mask in there and it won't fall out.
SkiMo
AG
A second pair of socks is good too. And don't wear regular socks. Splurge and get some good pairs of smartwools or something similar. One of the reasons my toes turn to ice is because my feet sweat a lot. Take a break, let your toes unfreeze and dry then switch your socks out and head back out.
imjustsayin
AG
Ski below the treeline and you'll be fine. We went skiing in this condition and caught a lift that went to the bowls and it was so freaking windy and cold that it was blowing the snow around like a blizzard... couldn't see where we were going and we wound up watching the skiers in front of us to guide us down... and if they fell off something quickly then we'd know not to go that way

Kept hearing my wife say, get me down from here... and I felt the same.

But once we got below the treeline, it was easy peasy and back to normal conditions.
imjustsayin
AG
Oh yea, and sock liners... good thing.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.