Recommendations on Luggage

2,492 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Texas Ag Mom
Aggie Apple
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm needing some new luggage and am interested in hardside options. I don't travel a ton so don't want to spend a ton, but definitely want to get something dependable that will last.

Any options or thoughts?

Many thanks.
iloveAP
AG
All of my luggage is Ricardo and I pretty much always get my pieces from T.J.Maxx. They're less expensive than department stores or traditional luggage stores and the luggage is the same. I've replaced my old school soft pieces with hard shell pieces and I love them. They're lightweight and durable.
Vernada
AG
Not hardside but check out TravelPro. Good quality. Good value. Search amazon.
Marauder Blue 6
AG
https://texags.com/search?q=luggage&fid=54
Always_Right
AG
To be honest it's a crap shoot, I fly 120 plus times a year and I've had expensive hard sided luggage that lasted me a few months and cheap luggage that lasted years. The best advice I can give is to set a budget for how much you want to spend, look at reviews for luggage that is in that price range and make the best informed decision you can make.
Fairview
AG
Three years ago I made the switch to hardside just to mix it up and got the Samsonite Silhouette Sphere 2 Hardside Spinner. I think they have the new version out now but they weren't crazy expensive and have held up well. I have both the carryon and check size. We liked them enough we bought four of each so every family member has one of both sizes.

I travel a fair amount (1k on United) and they have been all over the world with me including disappearing for a couple days over Christmas this year and I've been pleased with them.
HollywoodBQ
AG
I've got a Burton suitcase. Lifetime Warranty. I Love it.
I just lost my United 1-K status, I'm only Gold on United and Qantas now.
https://www.burton.com/au/en/c/luggage-travel-bags?regionSelector=true
Austintm
We generally buy Tumi, but bought a piece of the Away luggage recently based on the high reviews. It's hard-sided, lightweight and fairly sturdy. Also has a good warranty. Very reasonably priced:

https://www.awaytravel.com

ww
AG
Aggie Apple said:

I'm needing some new luggage and am interested in hardside options. I don't travel a ton so don't want to spend a ton, but definitely want to get something dependable that will last.
I was in a similar situation a couple years ago, and we bought 6 Rockland hardside spinners (2 large and 4 carry-on) off Amazon because it was cheap, and liked the colors.

They've been though 6-10 flights each and numerous other road trips without any issues...yet. I fully expected at least one to be broken by now (wheel, zipper, handle), but nothing.
FbgTxAg
AG
AWAY
Aggie Apple
AG
Thanks for all the good suggestions. Much appreciated.
Matsui
AG
go to marshalls, homegoods, Ttj maxx, burlington coat factory, ross, etc and buy one for $40-60 and be done with it. don't over think this.
Texas Ag Mom
We buy at Marshalls, TJ Max, or Ross. It can be hit or miss but I bought a Travel Pro a couple of months ago & I have had good luck w/Samsonite. I spend less than $100. We travel a lot & we have seen how the bags get tossed around & they get dirty.
Matsui
AG
bags get tossed around and treated poorly. all of those stores have popular fashion branded luggage. Just buy them and when they inevitably get beat up, buy another.
BQ92
AG
I have a number of Briggs and Riley. Lifetime warranty even if airline screws it up. Had three pieces replaced in 25 years. All because of airline damage. Rarely do I check but am married
LRHF
AG
Eagle Creek bags are excellent. We also use some North Face duffels that we've had for 20 years. Look for YKK zippers and compression straps. No need for reverting back to 1980 with hadside luggage!
Vernada
AG
LRHF said:

Eagle Creek bags are excellent. We also use some North Face duffels that we've had for 20 years. Look for YKK zippers and compression straps. No need for reverting back to 1980 with hadside luggage!
I can vouch for Eagle Creek too.

I had a large suitcase that I used when I was working in Africa. There is no telling how many miles I put on that bag. Never had a problem.

My wife has a smaller carry-on size that we've had for about 10 years. On this last trip, one of the wheels threw its treads. I just looked on the Eagle Creek website and a new set will be $8 delivered. Looks like it should take about 5 minutes to swap the old for new.
TXCityAggie
AG
I was given an Away carry-on size bag as a gift and love it for shorter trips...lifetime warranty. I stopped buying expensive luggage to check-in. It gets beat to hell no matter what you do. I just buy something cheap/moderately priced knowing that I will probably need to replace it within a year or two.
Texas Ag Mom
Tuesday Morning has an ad that starts 2/23/19. They will have Travel Pro suitcases in various sizes for under $100.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.