Almafi Coast

2,938 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by SoupNazi2001
Dallas10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Any suggestions on places to stay/must do things? Thanks!
mike073
AG
Dallas - a lot depends on where you plan to stay and how you plan to get there. A little more information would be helpful.
Gig 'em Aggies!

TXTransplant
We stayed in Sorrento and did day trips to Amalfi, Positano, and Capri. I'm not sure I would do it that way again (I'd stay in one of the smaller towns), but we had a lovely time. Capri is a must-do, if you ask me. The cathedral in Amalfi is gorgeous, and you have to get an iconic photo of the cliff houses on Positano.

Definitely plan on a boat/ferry ride up and down the coast.

We tried to go to Ravello but were in a time crunch and didn't make it.

And make time for Pompeii, since you're so close. It really is fascinating and amazingly well preserved.
DropDemNuggetz
AG
We stayed in Positano at Bucca di Bacco. Loved the hotel, and would highly recommend. Would also highly recommend doing the private boat tour to Capri via Blue Star.

That's all I got.
bugle rank '87
AG
We stayed in Sorrento at The Grand Hotel Excelsior Vittoria and loved it. We did day trips to Pompeii, Positano, Amalfi, Ravello and Capri.

One of the elevators in the hotel goes down to a small port and we booked private charters to both Capri and Amalfi.
We’ve never lost a halftime...
2012Ag
AG
My wife and I stayed here in Positano.

http://hotelcaliforniapositano.it/

Loved it. Took a day trip to Capri on small boat with a few other couples. They stopped along the way to let us snorkel and swim.
Wiggletrace
AG
bugle rank '87 said:

We stayed in Sorrento at The Grand Hotel Excelsior Vittoria and loved it. We did day trips to Pompeii, Positano, Amalfi, Ravello and Capri.

One of the elevators in the hotel goes down to a small port and we booked private charters to both Capri and Amalfi.
We stayed there as well and rented a boat on our own to go around the Amalfi Coast. We also took a ferry over to Capri.

Great place to stay.
Always_Right
AG
Going to the Amalfi Coast in 2020, so far I've got Sorrento, Positano, Amalfi, Pompeii/Mt. Vesuvius, Capri and Paestum on the itinerary, is there anything else worth adding?
Dallas10
Thanks for all the replies. We plan to stay at the belond and Santa Caterina, 3 nights at each and do day trips
With all the suggestions!
Oak Forest Ag
AG
Great_I_Am said:

Going to the Amalfi Coast in 2020, so far I've got Sorrento, Positano, Amalfi, Pompeii/Mt. Vesuvius, Capri and Paestum on the itinerary, is there anything else worth adding?
Paestum is fantastic! Unbelievable how much of the "town" is still there. You will like it, but I recommend renting a car.

We picked up a car in Salerno after a few days in Positano.

FYI: you don't want a car in Positano!
Oak Forest Ag
AG
To anyone going to Positano, be sure you go to La Tagliata at least once for dinner.

www.latagliata.com

You won't be sorry! And you will leave stuffed!

Always_Right
AG
The plan now is to stay in Sorrento and get a car service when we want to go to Positano, Amalfi, etc. I'm not really worried about the cost, just what's most convenient and less stressful. I spent 2 weeks driving through England and Scotland last year and that was enough to last me a lifetime.
TXTransplant
We stayed at Grand Hotel La Favorita in Sorrento. It's a beautiful hotel and we loved it.

The family that owns the hotel also owns a restaurant called O'Parrucchiano La Favorita that is very good and just a beautiful place to eat.

And be sure to get gelato at Raki in Sorrento. Some of the best/unique flavors of any gelato we had on our entire trip.
Oak Forest Ag
AG
Mrs. 82 Ag and I used Giovanni twice, once in 2010 and again in 2016. He is very dependable and a great guide and guy!

www.russoleone.com

TXCityAggie
AG
We stayed in Sorrento for a couple of nights and Positano for one night. Positano is beautiful but I preferred staying in Sorrento. The nightlife was fun and it was easier to navigate.
Always_Right
AG
82 Ag said:

Mrs. 82 Ag and I used Giovanni twice, once in 2010 and again in 2016. He is very dependable and a great guide and guy!

www.russoleone.com

Bookmarked the website, thanks.
FriscoAggieFan
AG
We stayed at Hotel Eden Roc in Positano and it was fantastic. We also did the cooking school at LaTagliata as a family and it was definitely a highlight. I really don't think you can go wrong in the area. Just get there and enjoy
tdm89
Stayed 3 days in Positano at Hotel Buca di Bacco. Amazing hotel and a great location.

The best thing my wife and I did was rent a small boat ourselves and took it over to Capri to explore. We had so much fun that we rented the same boat the next day and went the opposite way along the coastline to see the different towns along the coast.
Crazy Ag 97
AG
We stayed a couple nights in Sorrento at Relais Correale and a couple nights in Positano at Bucca di Bacco. Very different towns but both were amazing.

While in Sorrento, we spent one afternoon out at the Baths of the Queen Giovanna. Not a well known place, but it's an easy bus ride and hike to an amazing secluded swimming hole. From there, it's a little hike on a old wooden bridge over to Lido la Solara, a hole in the wall beach dive bar over looking the ocean, great place for a beer and sunset..

We had hoped to go over to Capri one of the days we were in Positano, but unfortunately our boat got canceled that morning due to high winds, on the upside, it made room in the schedule for us to go hiking in the morning and spend some time at the beach in the afternoon. The unexpected downtime was a welcome surprise.

Quote:

To anyone going to Positano, be sure you go to La Tagliata at least once for dinner.

www.latagliata.com

You won't be sorry! And you will leave stuffed!
This! You will not go wrong with this place, or really anywhere in that area.
2012Ag
AG
+1 for la tagliata. Wife and I absolutely loved it
Tree Hugger
AG
My wife and I are taking votes. We are head to Italy in September and will have four days (3.5 if count travelling from Florence) along the Amalfi Coast. We are trying to decide between staying in Salerno or Sorrento.

Opinions?
TXCityAggie
AG
I think Sorrento would be a better base than Salerno. Salerno is fine but nothing special. The only advantage to Salerno is you can take a train direct from Rome.
Post removed:
by user
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.