Columbus Ohio

2,092 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by jakal0722
ag2dabone
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Planning on going to Columbus in mid April to watch our oldest son compete in the National powerlifting meet for the Ags. Any reqs as far as food or must see/do stuff? Any type of food will work. TIA.
jakal0722
Glad you are coming up to Columbus! Good luck to your son! Feel free to email centralohioaggies at gmail with questions. What part of town will you be in?

If anywhere near the North Market you can get a fairly eclectic mix of foods. Columbus has a great ethnic food scene. Short North is just up from downtown and has a great assortment of restaurants (anything by Cameron Mitchell will be solid). Jeni's Or Graeter's for ice cream. I love Dirty Franks downtown which is right next to 16 Bit Barcade. German Village has some solid spots. My faves are Katzingers Deli, Lindeys, Schmidt's Sausage Haus and Thurman's Cafe. Lots of great breweries throughout town.

If you are around on April 13th there is the OSU Spring Game if you want to experience OSU Football.

CanyonAg77
AG
You're an hour away from the Air Force Museum at Wright-Pat in Dayton.

It's on my bucket list, but then I'm an airplane nut.
ag2dabone
The meet is at the Hyatt Regency....we will be staying close to there in downtown.
jakal0722
Nice location. Just up from you is the North Market and Barleys Brewing which are good. To the east is Wolfs Ridge Brewing and Pins Mechanical (duck pin bowling). I have heard great things about the new Mikey's Late Night Slice location at High and Vine (supposedly has a basement speakeasy). There is free bus that goes up and down high street which will help to get to German Village and Short North. https://www.cota.com/how-to-ride/cbus/

Things to do: we have a great Art Museum, our zoo is one of the best in the country, our Science Museum has an adult evening on Thursday the 11th and our Conservatory is gorgeous. Our hockey team might be in the playoffs by then but who knows. In German Village there is a giant bookstore called The Book Loft. Shopping along the Short North. What are things y'all enjoy doing and can direct you there.
ag2dabone
Wife loves to shop.....we both love sports and just about any place with beer and live music..how is the weather usually in mid April?
jakal0722
Easton is a fantastic outdoor mall area but not near where you are staying. Short North would be a great spot to walk and check out small shops. Weather might be fantastic, it might also suck. April is a crazy month here.
ag2dabone
How about a place to get good Italian food, Mexican food or a bar and grill type place? What about the Scioto mile...worth a visit or not?
jakal0722
For Italian I like Martini, Marcella's and Forno. Mexican I would got to Los Gauchos (best tacos al pastor). Otherwise pretty much need to go to a food truck for great Mexican here. Stay away from Fuzzys Tacos near the convention center, they just had a Hep A citation! Not too versed on bars around here but I'm a big fan of what Legacy Smokehouse has been pulling out (they do Central Texas style bbq). Scioto Mile is a gorgeous walk if a nice day (lots of the bulbs should be blooming). Will walk past COSI (science museum) and the new National Veterans Memorial & Museum. The Statehouse grounds are also nice to walk around and they have tours inside as well.
woodyhayes
left Columbus in '78 when i got out of school. German Village south Columbus, straight down High St. Several good restaurants there.Upper Arlington is west side and lots of stuff there. Morse Rd. and 161 are north and both used to be covered with restaurants, car dealers, and shopping. Havent been back since, so I`m sure a lot has changed. High St. is Northgate on steroids !
ag2dabone
Any good wineries to visit in the area?
Danger Mouse
AG
Short North is where I recommend having dinner and/or lodging. Surprisingly, CBus has an excellent dining and bar scene with really good (and professional) bartenders who can create the best cocktails you'll have anywhere.
jakal0722
In response to wineries: I'm sure there are but I have never been to one here so I wouldn't be able to suggest anything.

If you are interested in the OSU Spring game, tickets go on sale Friday. http://columbuswired.net/osu-2019-spring-game/?cbg_tz=300
ag2dabone
Does anyone know if tickets are still available to the OSU spring game? How early would you need to get there for a decent seat?
jakal0722
https://www1.ticketmaster.com/event/050056539330207D&brand=osubuckeyes#offer-card#efeat6916

Looks to still be available. Most of the stadium has a good view but if you want really good seats, I would aim for about an hour early.
ag2dabone
Any idea how far of a walk it is between the football stadium and the baseball stadium?
woodyhayes
maybe 1.5 miles. Woody Hayes Dr. to West Lane to Borror Dr.
jakal0722
Bill Davis Stadium is an easy mile walk. It's also about where you will have to park anyways to get to the spring game at the 'Shoe.
ag2dabone
Does anyone know the policy for taking bags/purses into the football or baseball stadiums?
jakal0722
"Bags or purses of any size are NOT permitted in Ohio Stadium. Wallets and wristlets no larger than 5"x8"x1" are permitted. All items and persons entering Ohio Stadium are subject to security screening and inspection.

Guests entering with medical, dietary, or childcare needs must enter through the Steinbrenner Band Center Entrance (glass doors between Gates 10 & 12) or at the Press Entrance (glass doors between the Huntington Club and Gate 23) to have their items inspected. One 14"x14"x4" bag per person will be permitted."

Good luck this weekend btw! Looks to be nice weather for you.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.