Major Insomnia before travel?

5,145 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by superunknown
SlimM
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I can't sleep for several days before a trip that involves flying, and because of that I'm so tired when I get there I'm completely useless for the first day or two. And for some reason, I can't sleep in cars or planes so I can't pass out until I'm at the hotel.

Anyone else have this problem? I'm looking for natural tips/solutions, if possible. I've tried wearing myself out with exercise, but that just makes me even more tired because I still can't sleep!

The weird thing about it is, I'm not afraid of flying...I love it. Once I'm actually on the plane I'm fine. And I'm a skydiver! But any type of vacation or business air travel gets me every time.

schmendeler
AG
have you tried melatonin?
HHAG
AG
I have the same issue. Going to India next Tuesday and I am already having difficulty sleeping. Mine appears to be just anxiety about missing flights, passport troubles, etc., as I also don't have a problem flying.
Marauder Blue 6
AG
What is your sleep routine like?
Post removed:
by user
SlimM
AG
schmendeler said:

Yes. I use it nightly and it seems to work well normally. But not before travel.
SlimM
AG
HHAG said:

I have the same issue. Going to India next Tuesday and I am already having difficulty sleeping. Mine appears to be just anxiety about missing flights, passport troubles, etc., as I also don't have a problem flying.
I'm sorry HHAG. I know how much it sucks.
schmendeler
AG
SlimM said:

schmendeler said:

Yes. I use it nightly and it seems to work well normally. But not before travel.
you already use it nightly? I think you might have another issue. I only use it when I have been staying up later and need to go to bed a few hours earlier than normal.
CDub06
AG
This is me. When I do get to sleep, I wake up every 15-30 minutes to check my alarm. Don't want to miss that flight. I make myself crazy.

I cannot sleep in vehicles or on planes no matter how tired I am. So envious of people that can conk out before the plane even takes off. International flights are torture for the sleepless.

I've got my insomnia licked for the most part with supplements and routine. But just can't figure out how to sleep when I'm not in bed in a quiet, dark room.
Aggie
AG
Mine is just the night before a trip ... no way I'm getting any sleep night before a trip.
Spore Ag
Think most important thing is learn how to rest your mind. What is your worst night for sleep is generally Sunday night because your mind is planning your next day not to mention your week. Used to do polls on clients Monday morning and most all type A folks said not worth a damn.

What it is worth but yoga, TM, even prayer have ways of mind relaxation and or distraction.

I do use melatonin on long travel though.
SlimM
AG
Glad to hear I'm not alone, even though I hate that other people struggle with it too. Yoga is an interesting idea, I might give that one a try.

TXCityAggie
AG
I have trouble sleeping the night before a trip as well. I'm usually scrambling around at the last minute trying to get things together and its difficult to calm down and sleep after.

That being said, Ambien CR works for me on flights to Europe or Asia. I usually pop one after the initial meal has been served and I'm out for most of the flight.
V8Aggie
AG
SlimM said:

schmendeler said:

Definitely shouldn't be using this nightly.
CDub06
AG
I take a product that includes 2MG of Melatonin every night. I've done that for 10+ years.

This product: Power to Sleep is the first thing I've found that allows me to sleep. There's a melatonin-free version that just doesn't work for me.

Prior to this, I'd take Tylenol PM every night. I've tried prescriptions, suppliments (including Melatonin on its own), OTC drugs, meditation - the whole nine. This allows me to sleep and it's been worth it for me. I've not seen a lot of evidence that anyone knows what the long term effects are. But this allows me to live my life.
DD88
AG
SlimM said:

And for some reason, I can't sleep in cars or planes so I can't pass out until I'm at the hotel.

I have trouble sleeping reclined in a car or plane, but do better leaning forward. I got one of these for Christmas and will try it out on my next trip.

https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Inflatable-HOMCA-Airplanes-Napping/dp/B071S5PXDB/ref=sr_1_2?hvadid=77927938147665&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvqmt=e&ie=UTF8&keywords=homca&qid=1549667177&sr=8-2&tag=mh0b-20
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Mediation, yoga and sleep sounds like binaural beats cure my sleeplessness and keeping the tv and phone out of the bedroom, if you are in Colorado or Oregon you have another great option. It sounds stress related
Joe Exotic
AG
I used to have this problem. Got a script for Ambien and now it's no longer an issue.
WorthAg95
AG
Melatonin and half of a Dramamine
HollywoodBQ
AG
I used to worry about forgetting to bring stuff but after you've travelled enough, you realise all that you really need is your passport and a credit card. Cash and cell phone with data plan are a big help but not 100% required.
Spore Ag
Like Hollywood comment as the consequence is if you take piks you are always in same clothes. My travel clothes are the same and really do not wear them at home.
BigCigarAg
SlimM said:

I can't sleep for several days before a trip that involves flying, and because of that I'm so tired when I get there I'm completely useless for the first day or two. And for some reason, I can't sleep in cars or planes so I can't pass out until I'm at the hotel.

Anyone else have this problem? I'm looking for natural tips/solutions, if possible. I've tried wearing myself out with exercise, but that just makes me even more tired because I still can't sleep!

The weird thing about it is, I'm not afraid of flying...I love it. Once I'm actually on the plane I'm fine. And I'm a skydiver! But any type of vacation or business air travel gets me every time.
Have you tried fapping? Always works for me.
Yesterday
AG
Book later flights? Helps with anxiety?
SlimM
AG
03ki11erAG said:

Book later flights? Helps with anxiety?
I had been booking the earliest flights available (since I couldn't sleep anyway, might as well just get it over with), but this time I booked an afternoon flight. It actually went somewhat well, using the advice I got on here. I slept a few hours the night before and because of that I was able to just stay up and go to bed at a normal time on the first night of the trip!

SkiMo
AG
I have similar issues...but I tend to obsess about most everything in general so I am used to living with no sleep. haha

I can't sleep in cars and used to on planes when I would doze off I would immediately wake up in a complete startle. The kind you have when you fall off a cliff in your dreams. Every. Single. Time. So my mind/body would physically not allow me to sleep.

A year or so ago I finally got over it. Not sure what happened. But the chances of me falling asleep go way down once we're at cruising altitude. During taxi, take-off, and ascent are my best chances of falling asleep. Again, don't know why.
flown-the-coop
AG
Seems like pure anxiety. Maybe get some meds to take in days prior to big trips. Or try using mindfulness techniques. As others have suggested, a standard routine totally helps.
SlimM
AG
flown-the-coop said:

Seems like pure anxiety. Maybe get some meds to take in days prior to big trips. Or try using mindfulness techniques. As others have suggested, a standard routine totally helps.

Bringing this up because I just booked my first trip in forever, and it's already happening again. What are some good mindfulness techniques?
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Not my thing, but have heard good stuff about CBD. Pop a couple whatevers and see if it helps.

If I had this issue, and didn't get tested, I would fire up a big joint, watch some cartoons and sleep like a baby. Maybe burn another on the way to the airport to make the flight go faster. Supposedly this CBD offers a bit of the same thing.
superunknown
AG
Delta 8 if CBD isn't quite strong enough. But if you're worried about pissing hot, you probably shouldn't use delta 8.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.