New Orleans in 3 weeks

3,451 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by dcbowers
Txmoe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Headed to NO in 3 weeks. Staying in the Marigny district (supposedly 3 blocks from the French Quarter). Would appreciate recommendations for activities and restaurants beyond the usual tourist stuff.

One day set aside for the WWII museum but otherwise we're open to anything. TIA!
TXAggie2011
AG
FIf you'll be there the weekend if February 22, the Mardi Gras krewe parades will be starting, so go see that.

Marigny is right next to the French Quarter. Bohemian but a little lower key than the quarter. Frenchman's, is great for jazz. You can also line up for tickets at Preservation Hall over in the quarter, you'll have to pay in cash (unless they've changed that.)

Great restaurants all over the Quarter. You'll want to make reservations if they take 'em. Cafe Amelie and Ruby Slipper are good for brunch/lunch. And won't be too overwhelmed by tourists.

Go to the Garden District and towards Uptown for quieter dining. Commander's Palace on down to Camelia Grill...good stuff out that way.
Wicked Good Ag
With NOLA let us know what you like to do and also what you like to eat. Some great suggestions can be made just knowing those two things

FYI the WW2 museum is unbelievable. Been twice one special exhibit was Nazi Propaganda and the other was the Bataan death march IIRC
Cochon Butcher is a couple of blocks away from museum
Spore Ag
Elizabeths is in the Bywater area but close great for breakfast and off the beaten track. Also a great stop is St. Rochs market should be close to you. Bunch of food trucks escalating their serviceability. As a side note I heard St. Rochs is opening the same concept in the Rice Villiage.
Txmoe
AG
Appreciate the speedy and informative responses. We'll be there the weekend of Feb. 14-16. Looks like there are a few krewe parades on that Saturday but I'm not sure what those are.

Brother-in-law is a big sports fan. Unfortunately we can't make the Pelicans game. Are there any other sports things to do? He also wants to eat some oysters.

Rest of group of four are up for anything. Good tours, shopping, art and history are all high on the list.
Spore Ag
Actually my favorite seafood place is Kenner seafood. If you driving in it is by the airport. Best value, quality and quantity.
Potcake
AG
Royal Street is good for shopping, particularly art. As previously mentioned, you will be close to live music (jazz, reggae, etc.) on Frenchman. Esplanade splits the Quarter and Marigny. Port of Call is on Esplanade. Good burgers, come with baked potatoes instead of fries. Monsoon drinks (tiki type rum drink) are their specialty.
At the risk of starting a three page pissing match, Acme Oyster House is great for chargrilled or raw oysters. Go to bar and get a drink for standing in line outside.
Napoleon House for lunch. Johnny's Po-boys. NOLA for dinner, garlic crusted drum is great. Lafitte's Blacksmith Shoppe for beers. Bourbon House for milk punches. The pirate bar on the side of St. Louis Cathedral. Crab claws at Royal House. Willie Mae's (Treme) for fried chicken. Preservation Jazz Hall show is touristy but fun.
Ag with kids
AG
I will say that Commander's Palace and doing the chef's tasting menu is definitely worth it...sure, it's not cheap, but you're on vacation so **** it...
Al Bula
AG
If you're staying in marginy check out the country club
TXAggie2011
AG
p.s. My favorite drink in the Quarter is a frozen Irish coffee at Molly's.

Go to the location on Toulouse, not the one across from the French market. It'll be a better experience.
TXAggie2011
AG
I'd tour the Garden District, including Lafayette #1 (cemetery), if your group wants history.
Austintm
Eat at Restaurant Rebirth in the Warehouse District. Check out the reviews. Everyone I have sent there has loved it.

Oh for art, the art museum in NOLA is really good, and has a nice sculpture garden
Ag with kids
AG
Have some cocktails at 21st Amendment.

Bunch of cool places down Frenchmen's St

Get the Eggs Stanley at Stanley's for breakfast/brunch...
This is a test. If this had been an actual signature, you would have been instructed where to tune in your area for news and official information. This confirms this test of the signature broadcast network.
Txmoe
AG
Very much appreciate all the feedback here. This was exactly the type of info I was looking for.
mAgnoliAg
AG
Going in 3 weeks. A Thursday through Sunday
AggieCrew2002
Must eat at Pasqual Manalies
Kool
AG
Breakfast at Camelia Grill in uptown is fantastic entertainment and right off of the street car if you aren't driving.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Reload8098
AG
This is a great thread. You must have a drink at the Carousel Bar was snide the hotel Monteleone on 214 Royal Street. You'll see people from all over the world as well as the local blue bloods.
Wicked Good Ag
Reload8098 said:

This is a great thread. You must have a drink at the Carousel Bar was snide the hotel Monteleone on 214 Royal Street. You'll see people from all over the world as well as the local blue bloods.

I echo this sentiment and the recommendation as well. Wherever we are about to go somewhere I ask on Texags and find things new to do in a town we been to 5-7 times in last decade. We are going back in May and have made some new plans based upon this and other threads.
RoyIII_Ag08
AG
I'll be in visiting New Orleans in mid-June. I'm looking for more ideas for activities. Are and swamp/airboat tours fun? What about stuff on a riverboat?
dcbowers
AG
We stayed at the Hotel Peter and Paul in the Marigny district. Cool, renovated school, church, and quarters. (Recent write-ups about this hotel in Architectural Digest and NY Times, among others).

Cochon Butcher is a casual restaurant to grab a delicious smoked meat sandwich (Brisket sliders are my recommendation) a couple of blocks from the WWII Museum. Easy to do both on the same day.

Enjoy your trip! (And report back here afterwards.)
dcbowers
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.