Cancn vs. Cabo

1,002 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by evan_aggie
Bulldog73
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm looking at going this summer with my wife and young child to a resort. I've seen a lot that generally makes me think that Cancn is more for partying and Cabo for relaxing, but then I see posts saying most of Cabo is unusable due to terrible undertow.

We may do an excursion or venture into town - maybe, but mostly it'll be time on beach/pool and just hanging out. Having the young one makes me more hesitant in general than it was just my wife and myself.

Anyway, which would you recommend for a laid back 4 or 5 nights?
62strat
AG
Most 'partying' is gonna be done at a club like senior frogs. There really isn't any partying at a resort, not enough to effect your trip with the kid anyway.

Find a resort with a huge play/splash area for kids, and you'll be fine. Many of them have this.
breezecustomtravel
AG
Either destination is a great option.
The only downside to Cabo is most of the beaches there are unswimmable. Some of the resorts don't even have beach chairs or places to relax on the beach.
Look up Dreams Resorts or NOW Resorts for some great family friendly resort options.
Dreams Riviera Maya is awesome as is Dreams Tulum. There is a Dreams in Cabo that I've heard really good things about as well.
Oh and also check out Azul Beach Resorts.
Lauren K '07
www.breezecustomtravel.com
@breezecustomtravel
beachfront71
AG

Chileno Bay Cabo -
evan_aggie
AG
Bulldog73 said:

I'm looking at going this summer with my wife and young child to a resort. I've seen a lot that generally makes me think that Cancn is more for partying and Cabo for relaxing, but then I see posts saying most of Cabo is unusable due to terrible undertow.

We may do an excursion or venture into town - maybe, but mostly it'll be time on beach/pool and just hanging out. Having the young one makes me more hesitant in general than it was just my wife and myself.

Anyway, which would you recommend for a laid back 4 or 5 nights?

If you want to just hang out and relax at a resort, I would say it shouldn't really matter. Both have mega-resorts where you can eat at hotel restaurants, lay by the pool/beach, etc the entire time.

I just got back from Cabo and we rented a terrific two bedroom villa for a very reasonable price at Villa La Estancia in Cabo San Lucas. You can walk to some nice restaurants outside of the resort (Ediths, The Office, Three Sirens), and the resort has a terrific pool scene with adult only areas, and kid friendly pools. They have multiple restaurants onsite between Villa La Estancia, and the other two sister properties.

To be clear: this resort has a section of beach that has chairs and umbrellas specific for guests, and the water has a rope/netting to help safe guard the debris and whatever else. I wish I took a photo to show you. It is swimable, but has a steeper slope than most.

I thought Cabo San Lucas was a bit grungy overall though, and don't think it's really worth spending a ton of time in town, especially with kids. I would say find yourself a nice resort that seems like it is rated for families and has lots to do. I really liked our place in Cabo because it was more like an apartment, but with room service, restaurants, lots of pool space, a WalMart across the highway, etc.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.