Renting From Airbnb With No Reviews

963 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by TXCityAggie
TXCityAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I found a place in Montepulciano that I would like to rent. It has a central location, parking, and a washing machine...which are all things I am looking for. The place seems to be a new listing and doesn't have any reviews. Also, there also isn't a profile picture for the owner. Is this a red flag? I would hate to book it and then find out it's not legit when I show up. Can those of you with more experience using Airbnb take a look and tell me what you think?

Montepulciano Home - Pergolato
TXTransplant
I've used Airbnb a few times, including internationally (in Italy, in fact). The listing is probably legit, but it's always a crapshoot with these types of things (reviews don't always tell the whole story, either).

When are you going? They have a pretty liberal cancellation policy (full refund up to 7 days out). Maybe book and then wait to see if anyone else posts a review? If the reviews are bad, you can cancel. Just make sure you have a back-up plan.
Texas Ag Mom
I have used Air bnb a lot including 3 weeks traveling around Italy. No matter how tempted I did not book any places that had no reviews. I just felt it was risky. I didn't study this unit but I did flip thru the pics. I felt like I was looking at 2 different units.
TXCityAggie
AG
Ya, I'm reluctant to rent it. I emailed the owner questioning the lack of reviews and this was the response I received:

Hello,
Yes the house has just been put on the market. It has belonged to my family for many generations but now I work in Rome and I rent it. It's really beautiful and full of history even if completely refurbished with all the comforts.
You can read all the informations and see the pictures on the Airbnb site.
My best regards
Laura
The Pilot
AG
You're dealing with a language barrier there too.

We used Airbnb in Italy this summer but booked everything that had reviews.
TXCityAggie
AG
Thanks everyone. I'm sure its probably ok, but I decided not to risk it. I found another place in nearby Pienza that I liked, so I rented that one instead.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.