Mobile, Alabama

1,573 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by amanda04
amanda04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The husband and I are traveling to Mobile this weekend/next week. It's our first time there. Any recommendations for places to visit and eat while there? We're also open to suggestions along the way. We already know we're stopping in Don's in Scott, LA for cracklins, so any good food stops are appreciated!
MW13
AG
Felix's Fish Camp
Ham Slice MRE
AG
Wintzell's Oyster House...you are welcome.
Spore Ag
Just drove in from Wetumpka Alabama via Mobile. Stopped at the Rice Palace in Crowley. Not exciting but good food. Mobile is a nice town.
amanda04
AG
I checked out the menu for both Felix's and Wintzell's and they both sound delicious!

The Rice Palace is an interesting suggestion. The website says it's also at a truck stop? I was skeptical until I read about their seafood dishes and they sound pretty good. We're staying in Lafayette on the way out and Baton Rouge on the way in, so I'm not quite sure where our pit stops will be yet.
bigboykin
AG
Good food and some unique brewery/brewpup-only releases at the Abita Brewpub in Abita Springs. The boudin stuffed quail is delicious.

Not fancy, but good food and a good time in a good atmosphere right on the Gulf at Shaggy's in Pass Christian.

Half Shell across from the Beau Rivage in Biloxi has always been really good, and you can pop across the street and roll the dice a time or two. Just east across the bay is Ocean Springs, MS which has a cute little historic downtown with a bunch of restaurants and shops. At one time they had the best fish sandwich on the Gulf (I pretty much tried them all during the couple years following Deepwater Horizon), but alas, RIP SOS Bar and Grill. The Shed is the well-known BBQ joint in town. I only ever found the barbecue decent, but it's a cool atmosphere for a beer and some live music.

Bozo's Grocery is about the only thing worth a damn in Pascagoula, but it's a great little rustic poboy joint/seafood market.

Across Mobile Bay in Fairhope, AL, Fairhope Brewing has a really nice little taproom and makes some quality beers. They usually host a food truck and have little events pretty often. Fairhope is a neat little town to check out anyway.

Of course, all of these are south of the interstate, so you'd have to go a bit out of your way but if you were down for the scenic tour or someplace near a stop these are some place sorta along your route.
MW13
AG
Bozos is awesome. We love to stop in there for lunch.
Wolfman03
AG
NoJa for dinner is always solid.

The Royal Scam is either excellent or just average depending on who is in the kitchen. Overall, a good casual spot.

If you're in Fairhope around dinner, then check out the Wash House.

It is worth making the time to check out the USS Alabama - especially if you've never been on a battleship.
amanda04
AG
Thanks, everyone! We ended up going to Wintzell's and it was amazing. We accidentally ended up in Abita Springs and realized the brewpub was right across from the Farmer's Market we were attending, so we stopped in and had a flight and fried cheese curds. We attempted Felix's but it was too busy, so we went across the road to the Original Oyster House and it was pretty tasty too.

However, in the event anyone uses this thread in the future, our favorite place we ate at was Dauphin's in Mobile. It was on the 34th floor, so we had a great view of the city and the bay. Food was fantastic, and we ate early enough that drinks were half price, even bottles of wine!

I'd also throw in a recommendation for Panini's Petes for beignets. They were a lot thicker (and in my opinion, more delicious) than those in NOLA.

And we have Bozo's and Wash House on our future to-do. We DID go to the USS Alabama but ran out of time and didn't make it to the top deck, or the sub, or the building, so we're going back to that as well.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.