Picking an all inclusive near Cancun

11,180 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Furlock Bones
culdeus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Epm doesn't have very many real ocean view rooms. It's probably the single most common 1 star review reason.
Cardiag
AG
Just got back from Excellence Playa Mujeres. Can't get over how nice this place is. The new lounge and exclusive restaurant available for breakfast and dinner has made the Club level a no brainer IMO.

We stayed in the rooftop pool suite and while the pool was only kind of meh, the upgrade in the view was worth it. We had expansive view of the ocean.
62strat
AG
Forgot to post pics from Hyatt Ziva.

View from our room (Can't see it, but there's a whirlpool tub on balcony):

Panning to the right a bit

Adults only roof top infinity pool

Looking over the edge

That huge pool down below is not the same as the one our room looked at; since this resort has two beaches, it has two entirely different pool areas separated by a rocky coast with a sidewalk connecting the gazebo in first pic to the lighthouse in the latter pic. Of course you can just walk through the middle of the property to go between sides as well.
The water at bottom of the sloped building is the dolphin tank. You can swim with dolphins right at the resort.

I want to go back!
strohag
AG
If going with multiple couples is the Excellence club worth it or should we all skip it at EPM?
Cardiag
AG
I've been to EPM twice at the club level and have not regretted it either time. Especially if you spend much time at the beach or have a preference for upgraded liquor it's a real perk. The club section of the beach at EPM is very large and the concierge service is excellent. Walking through the non-club beach areas there is a notable difference.

Quality of spirits is also notable at the club level bars (Hendricks and Herradura compared to Bombay and 1800) if that's an issue for you. You also get generally better service going through the club level. No wait at check in either time and the club vouched for us at the spa when I screwed up the payment there so i didn't have to rush back to my room and grab my credit card.

You'll have a blast either way, but as a percent of the money you're paying I think the club upgrade is worth it. I will say that if your group doesn't go all club it might be a little weird to have some club level and some not, but just depends on the group.
culdeus
AG
Interesting they opened up more exclusive stuff at EPM for club level.

I mean up to that point you got dramatically slower service at the beach, and top shelf liquor at a bar that was always empty because you could get the same stuff in the lobby without the club.

They price it for basically 4 nights you pay 5. I'd rather stay 5 nights and/or keep the cash for the spa, tbh. For short stays it probably doesn't seem that bad for a price delta. I got club upgrade one time because they oversold a wedding. By about day 3 we basically didn't use any of the perks, including the beach stuff and looked down at the rest of them like suckers.

Jimmy McNulty
AG
Anyone stayed at these recently? Trying to decide between them,

Excellence plays mujeres
Secrets Maroma (edit)
Royal Hideaway Playa del Carmen
Hilton Playa del Carmen.

Any recent input is appreciated it general opinions
strohag
AG
Went to Excellence a few months ago with 3 other couples. We all loved it
Jimmy McNulty
AG
No issues with seaweed? We are planning December.
wcb
AG
Jimmy McNulty said:

Excellence plays mujeres
Secrets Maroma (edit)
Hilton Playa del Carmen.

Secrets Maroma last week with three other couples. Seaweed was day to day, ranging from "not bad at all" to "ugh" when on the beach. Others were saying you could smell it up at the hotel / pool a month or two ago. Not the case at the moment.

We had a blast. Pretty much all parties are planning on going back. We're considering Secrets Playa Mujeres only because there are more restaurant options.
strohag
AG
They kept the Excellence beaches raked and clean while we were there. Wasn't much seaweed in the water either. That was back in late May/early June.
samsal75
AG
We stayed at the Royal Hideaway in April. Adults only and all inclusive. It was great.
Furlock Bones
AG
Jimmy McNulty said:

Excellence plays mujeres
Secrets Maroma (edit)
Hilton Playa del Carmen.

i'm headed to excellence playa mujeres for my 2nd time this week. i was booking last month. talked to my buddy who had been to both Secrets Maroma and Excellence. he said the Maroma's beach was better but the pool at Excellence is better. i found a beach webcam right near Secrets and there was a swath of seaweed about 5 feet wide and a couple of inches deep. decided to go with Excellence.

i report back next week.
Furlock Bones
AG
Excellence Playa Mujeres trip report

my wife and i went back to Excellence 5 years to the week after our first trip.

it's still a great hotel. i notice it is showing its age a little bit here and there. but, overall it is still a great place for a getaway where you can get their quickly from the airport and not think for awhile.

the best restaurants are still 1) Basmati 2) Spice Habachi style. Flavor market was ok. Barcelona is not good. They really, really need to redo that concept.

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.