UP Michigan

948 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by AggieLady70
JD Shellnut
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Will be going to the UP of Michigan come January. I've never been and I'm looking forward to it. Anyone have any advice on things to do or see? I think our cabin is near Munising, MI.
Shiner Bock
AG
UP in January?
aggiebrad94
AG
I don't think even native Michiganders know what to do in the UP in January
Al Bula
AG
Cabin fever is an awesome thing I hear
JD Shellnut
AG
I love the winter and snow. We have a log cabin rented with a hot tub. We want to go snow mobiling and go check out the ice caves for sure.
The Chicken Ranch
AG
You'll definitely be right in the thick of it.
Jackal99
AG
Eat at the Dogpatch in Munising. It's borderline-tacky (in a good way), but it's fun and the food is about as good as you'll get there. Grab pizza at Pictured Rocks Pizza. If you're feeling really frisky, get ice cream at the Frozen Flamingo. The Pictured Rocks Cruise is amazing, but they shut down for the season in mid-October, so that's out. Other than that, uhm...count the Sasquatch statues you see in town. Sasquatch is sort of their thing. My wife thought I was ridiculous for taking pictures with them, which only made me want to do it more.

If I think of anything else, I'll post it.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
I hope this is a baby making trip, if not bring all the contraception you have, because cold weather and boredom lead to late September babies
txags92
AG
Have you ever seen The Shining? Expect something like that...
JHUAggie
Snow mobile
Ice Caves
Snow Shoe
Cross Country ski
Downhill ski on a ski hill
Good luck! It could be 20 above or 20 below zero any given day in January. If you aren't used to the cold it's going to be a long miserable trip.
JD Shellnut
AG
Well, if not the UP then maybe somewhere else. All I know is I want cold and snow. We did Colorado last year, so I'm looking for somewhere with a different vibe this time.
Random Ag
AG
If you're looking for something different but still want snow/cold, Vermont or Maine would probably be much more fun than UP Michigan.
longeryak
aggiebrad94 said:

I don't think even native Michiganders know what to do in the UP in January
Snowmobiling and ice fishing?
AggieLady70
AG
Make sure what's open! We were there in October a few years ago and many of the restaurants & motels were already closing or closed for the winter.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.