Normandy Trip

990 Views | 1 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by SwissAgg
Player To Be Named Later
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking to start planning a Normandy trip and wanted some suggestions, advice.

This trip would primarily be to go see some areas related to family ancestry as well as obviously visit D-Day.

I am wondering if 7 days would be enough or if it is worth stretching into 10.

Am thinking of flying into Paris then taking the train into Caen.

Caen for 1 or 2 nights-

-Rent a car and travel to Falaise to see birthplace of William and over to Pierrepont
to see area likely where ancestors started out.
- See the War Museum

Drive to Rouen for 1 or 2 nights

See the Rouen Cathedral and surrounding area.
See the market area where Joan of Arc was burned.

Drive to Bayeux and stay 1 or 2 nights

See the Bayeux Tapestrie and D Day sites
Drive to see Mont St Michel
Possibly spend time driving the Cotentin area

Drive back to Caen to train back to Paris and spend a day and last night before flying home.

Thoughts? Any must see/do in the area? Family history starts off in Normandy and I'd really like to explore.
rebelag62
AG
I went to Normandy last year. We only had a few days there, but it was really cool. We could have spent the whole week and not done everything we wanted to. Point Du Hoc is a must. The American cemetery is really neat, it's immaculate. I was very impressed with how they've kept it up. Utah beach, the museum specifically was the best we went to. Just driving around the country side felt like being in an old movie. The people were super friendly, and surprisingly, most spoke English. Can't say the same for Paris. We stayed at a really neat bed and breakfast, if I can remember it, I'll re-post. We rented a car out of Paris, and drove, so I can't comment on the train.I will say we paid a lot in tolls and fuel, and I got a speeding ticket from the traffic cameras which I have no intention of paying. Great place though all in all.
SwissAgg
AG
Player To Be Named Later said:

Looking to start planning a Normandy trip and wanted some suggestions, advice.

This trip would primarily be to go see some areas related to family ancestry as well as obviously visit D-Day.

I am wondering if 7 days would be enough or if it is worth stretching into 10.

Am thinking of flying into Paris then taking the train into Caen.

Caen for 1 or 2 nights-

-Rent a car and travel to Falaise to see birthplace of William and over to Pierrepont
to see area likely where ancestors started out.
- See the War Museum

Drive to Rouen for 1 or 2 nights

See the Rouen Cathedral and surrounding area.
See the market area where Joan of Arc was burned.

Drive to Bayeux and stay 1 or 2 nights

See the Bayeux Tapestrie and D Day sites
Drive to see Mont St Michel
Possibly spend time driving the Cotentin area

Drive back to Caen to train back to Paris and spend a day and last night before flying home.

Thoughts? Any must see/do in the area? Family history starts off in Normandy and I'd really like to explore.

I would allow yourself about 5 days there. Renting a car in Paris is probably the best option, IMHO.

There are many museums in D-Day dedicated to different aspect of D-Day. One is dedicated to the

rise of Nazis to power, another is dedicated to the paratroopers( My favorite by the way ), etc.

Also, make sure to visit both the American and German cemeteries. They are both very moving. Pointe

du Hoc is also a must, as mentioned. St. Mere Eglise is a good stop as well. Make sure to read

up on the various museums.

Rouen, one night is enough there, IMHO. Bayeux is pretty cool.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.