Rome/Italy during Spring Break

1,751 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Vernada
HoustonAg12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My wife and I just booked flights for 9 days during spring break. First time traveling overseas..

What are the musts?

Tips?

Also I am German heritage and expressed my interest to train to Germany for two days to see the culture, eat brats, drink beer. Will that be worth it?
Travelag08
There is plenty to do in Rome and the surrounding area to keep you busy for the week. Germany is too far away for just 2 days - make that it's own trip.

Take trips to Florence, Assisi and other Italian towns instead.
Travelag08
Rome Musts - Vatican/St. Peters, wander the streets and walk in any church you come to, eat lots of gelato and drink lots wine!
Always_Right
AG
You can do Rome in 2 days, St. Peters/Vatican in one day/Colliseum, Palletin Hill, etc the second day. You'll lose two days flying in and out so that leaves you just 5 days to "see" Italy. I would pick an area you want to see and spend the 5 days there instead of trying to cran in a bunch of other cities, just not enough time in 9 days for Italy.
SwissAgg
AG
Venice during Spring Break would be pretty cool. There aren't many tourists

that time of the year, and the weather is still cool. The water can sometimes

smell in the summer. Rome, Florence, and Venice would be a cool trip.

You probably need about 3 full days to see Rome, 2 days for Florence, and two
days for Venice.
Rexter
If you go to Venice, shuttle out to Murano/Burano.
aggiedata
AG
Think about getting a guide to show you the Coliseum and St. Peters. I have done both, and a guide is well worth it. We used this one but there are others.

https://www.througheternity.com/

I would hit Rome for 2 or 3 days then go to Tuscany area and see the hill top towns in that area.

I would not even think about hitting Germany this time around. Biggest mistake you can make is trying to do too much, and not really experiencing anything but the rush to get somewhere else. I could spend every vacation in Italy and not come close to seeing it all. It's my favorite European visit, between the people, the sights, the history and the FOOD!
FriscoAggieFan
AG
Rent bikes for a day and cruise around. We had a blast doing this. Have no idea what the schedule is like but try to catch a soccer game....any game/any league. It's a blast.
Drive Tuscany for a day. We went to Assisi and several other little towns and ate and drank wine. Great time. Have fun.
C2 Ag 93
Tips for getting in quickly....

Coliseum - buy ticket at the Forum ticket window. You'll walk right in to the coliseum without waiting in line.
Vatican - buy the Vatican museum tour on the Vatican website before you go. Well worth it to skip the long line outside at your appointed time.
hurleyag
AG
Buy Rick Steve's book.

Also, our favorite day was when we did a cooking tour.
CaptnCarl
AG
Just posted this in a different forum:

4 nights in Florence at an Airbnb in the Altoarno area. I highly recommend this. The airbnb was cheap and the neighborhood was very laid back and relaxing.

2 nights in the Chianti wine region. Rented a car from Florence and drove down. It was gorgeous with all the leaves falling. We wish we spent more time in this area. Stayed at Villa Bordoni outside Greve.

Drove rental car into Rome and spent the day in Rome. Rome was filthy and littered with graffiti and trash and packs of tourist. Glad we didn't spend more time in Rome. The Vatican was so packed with tourist and beggars we wanted to leave right after we saw the place.
aggiegal99
Several years ago, we took a night train from Munich to Rome. This was cool because we didn't really waste any time traveling since we were sleeping. If you do really want to go to Germany, look at that option.
TXCityAggie
AG
I have been at that time of year several times and love it. It's still cold and not crowded. Are you flying in and out of Rome? I would pick two places to base yourself.

Personally, I would stay 4 nights in Rome with a day trip to Orvieto or Naples. I know Naples can have a bad reputation, but I think its fun for a day and worth it for the food. The fast train can get you there from Rome in about an hour and fifteen minutes. Orvieto is a beautiful little town about an hour from Rome.

After Rome, I would spend 4 or 5 nights in Florence and use it as a base. Spend a day or two exploring Florence, then take some day trips into Tuscany. I've also done a day trip to Venice from Florence, and it wasn't bad at all. I had limited time and wanted to meet up with a friend that was there. You can take the 7 a.m. train and be in Venice by 9:00. Stay all day, enjoy a nice dinner, and take the late train back to Florence.

Just my two cents. Have fun! I'll be going back in June.
Vernada
AG
aggiedata said:

I would not even think about hitting Germany this time around. Biggest mistake you can make is trying to do too much, and not really experiencing anything but the rush to get somewhere else.
+1
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.