United's New Boarding Procedure

5,120 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by 62strat
75AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
People needing assistance. I get it.
Families with children under 2. Ok.
Military. Thanks for your service!
Global services. Alright, you spend a lot of money.
Premier 1K. Come on.
Dead-heading flight attendants. Are you kidding me?
FINALLY. Group One.
There are sometimes 50 ppl on the plane before lifetime, million milers are invited to board.

/rant over

histag10
AG
Last time I flew United they did not have early boarding for families with small children. I'm pretty sure I hit or almost hit a few people while trying to get my car seat on a mostly full plane

Also had someone in first class get upset that I was allowed to bring a car seat on the plane because things like that are required to be checked. I informed him that my child has their own seat, will a full price ticket, and FAA recommends all children who use a car seat should use it on the flight as well, and that my car seat is FAA approved. Flight attendant looked at him and asked if that was a good enough answer for him. He said "it's just an inconvenience for me". She rolled her eyes and walked off and the lady behind him in first class made some comment about how she hopes he never reproduces
Matsui
AG
heck of a story and sadly normal
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
I have never understood what's go great about getting on a plane first.
DannyDuberstein
AG
The only benefit is making sure you have a spot for your bag. If I could get my bag on while at the same time able to be the very last person on the plane, I would.
SbisaVictim95
AG
Bluecat_Aggie94 said:

It only matters to me if I'm flying Southwest. But I have noticed more and more pre-boarders lately even on there. If my seat is assigned I'd rather get on last.
rebelag62
AG
I've complained about this boarding process many times. I hate it. It's like half the plane boards before me and I'm group 1. I could only imagine being group 3 or later. They need to start charging for carry on luggage, then people will check them since they will have to pay either way. At that point, I wouldn't care when I boarded.
fire09
AG
The problem is the lack of respect for overhead compartments. Main violators are those who put their bag in first overhead slot available in row 5, when they are in row 30, meaning I have to walk back 15 rows to put my bag into an overhead bin, further slowing boarding and deplaning. Second are those who can't have anything at their feet and stuff overhead with purses, jackets, etc. Finally the biggest perp, the airline for charging to check bags. This slows down security checkpoints, and ****s up the intent of overhead bins. Agree charge should be equal for carry on and checked.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
rebelag62 said:

They need to start charging for carry on luggage, then people will check them since they will have to pay either way.
Or they need to stop charging for checked baggage and build whatever the fee is into the price of the ticket like Southwest does. Something to take away the incentive for a larger portion of travelers to use the bins.
Always_Right
AG
As a 1K flyer I love it.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
I actually miss the old "back to front" method.
rebelag62
AG
That's how it should be done.
HeightsAg
75AG said:

FINALLY. Group One.
There are sometimes 50 ppl on the plane before lifetime, million milers are invited to board.

So you prefer how it used to be where million milers and those who fly 74,999 miles boarded in group 2 with people who have no status but signed up for a credit card with the first year fees waived?
The Chicken Ranch
AG
Who still flies United?
rebelag62
AG
People that have a **** ton of points and are in too deep.
AggieBusDriver
AG
As a Global Services flyer - meh it's ok. Just more people waiting to pre board in small gate areas is a little annoying. However G1 is over half the plane now since Gold's moved to G1. G2 is only silver and CC holders now. Sucks if you are a non elite first class passenger.
AggieOO
I do. I have status bc of work travel.

However, sometimes fly other airlines, and find United no better or worse for the most part.
75AG
AG
I'm in group 1, so I don't care about group 2. Let the LOL poors line up and wait.
rebelag62
AG
Group 1 just isn't what it used to be. I busted my butt to get platinum. I feel like a regular gold status again. ew
The Lost
Bluecat_Aggie94 said:

Yeah, unless I'm first clsss and get a free drink or need a spot on sw, I'm getting on last if possible. Don't even care if I have to hate check.
The Chicken Ranch
AG
AggieOO said:

I do. I have status bc of work travel.

However, sometimes fly other airlines, and find United no better or worse for the most part.
Granted, I have to make a connection anytime I fly. But generally United is $150 to $200 more than SW, and $100 or so more than American. Plus I have to pay a baggage fee. American is no better than United on fees, but it is always cheaper. I loved Continental, they were always competitive with SW and had a better schedule. But United just blows. I gave up all my points with them because I could never use them.

I fly SW now almost exclusively.
HollywoodBQ
AG
I'm 1-K and I try to board right before they start calling my name with the words - Final Call.

But, I usually only fly International and always check luggage so I'm not one of these overhead bin freaks.

I also try to consume at least four beers prior to boarding.
Turf96
Bluecat_Aggie94 said:

It isn't, but it feels like a social status symbol so many complain about it. I always wondered, if they have the clout some of them feel they should have, why don't they buy their own aircraft and hire a pilot and staff. Then you can board at any time you like and really be that important. If not stand in line and hope the village idiots around you don't do anything stupid to keep the aircraft grounded. What happened to flying the friendly sky's?
HeightsAg
Not even close, people just don't want to worry about overhead space. It's not that hard of a concept. Some of us don't want to waste our time checking our bags and then wait 30 minutes to pick it up after we arrive at our destination.
BMX Bandit
Which of those groups didn't board before Group 1 previously?

Premier 1k, right?
75AG
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Which of those groups didn't board before Group 1 previously?

Premier 1k, right?
Yes, Premier 1K moved up to pre board.
Joan Wilder
AG
It feels as if they tried to copy delta's format, where "group 1" is like the 4th group to board. I love how their pitch is "no need to line up!!" But all of does is make groups 1/2 line up together rather than in separate lines, making it a bigger cluster.

United has decided that fees are its path to profit, so the customer is faced with a thunder dome of people jockeying to get their bags on board. Make even first checked bag free, and the hordes of families and amateurs will check rather than bring on board.

Southwest open seating has pros/cons but their boarding process is so damn civilized and fast compared to United.
YouBet
AG
The last time I flew American I was blown away at the sheer number of classifications that get called to board. There were something like 10 different classifications called before they ever got to Group 1. It is the biggest CF boarding the legacies besides Southwest at this point.
rebelag62
AG
Make Flying Great Again.
62strat
AG
rebelag62 said:

seems I remember myth busters did an analysis of boarding types and first come first serve (southwest) ended up being the most efficient.
TriAg2010
AG
YouBet said:

The last time I flew American I was blown away at the sheer number of classifications that get called to board. There were something like 10 different classifications called before they ever got to Group 1. It is the biggest CF boarding the legacies besides Southwest at this point.

American went to a new group system about 12-18 months ago that indeed uses 9 groups. I actually think it works OK. The first general boarding group is Group 5, I believe. Groups 1-4 are first class and various loyalty tiers. It avoids the exact issue where "Group 1" is like the fifth or sixth group called.
YouBet
AG
62strat said:

rebelag62 said:

seems I remember myth busters did an analysis of boarding types and first come first serve (southwest) ended up being the most efficient.
I seem to recall some other boarding methodology that is seen as the most efficient but it wasn't practical to implement. I can't remember the specifics. And I think southwest was next best alternative after that one.
TXAGBQ76
AG
Just curious, how does one bust their butt to get platinum? Are you saying you took a bunch of needless flights just to get the status?
YouBet
AG
TXAGBQ76 said:

Just curious, how does one bust their butt to get platinum? Are you saying you took a bunch of needless flights just to get the status?
Putting all of your discretionary spending on their CC? We've had companion pass for SWA for several years in a row doing it that way.

I have since moved away from that though and branched out to other CC's.
75AG
AG
TXAGBQ76 said:

$100 round trip from IAH to San Antonio on December 31st was the best personal travel money I ever spent.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.