Greece

1,339 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by 90 bull
Travelag08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm looking at planning a trip to Greece June 2019. Thinking a day in Athens, a couple in Santorini, and another Greek island. Thoughts? Any Suggestions?
Federale01
AG
Santorini is a must. I also did Mykonos but would suggest you skip it and find a quieter island unless you what a nightlife scene. We spent more time on Mykonos because it was a birthday trip, but Santorini blew it away. Athens is good to visit for the history but not much else.
HeightsAg
Crete is definitely worth a visit but there's a lot to see there and is much further away so probably not ideal for a quick trip. If just a day or two, I'd recommend Ios. It is a less touristy version of Santorini and easily accessible. And agree on Mykonos unless you are looking for a party scene.
dcAg
IOS is one if not thee biggest party island(s) in the world.
90 bull
AG
We went to Athens and Thessaloniki on the mainland, and Santorini, Corfu, Naxos, Samos, and Patmos. We enjoyed Athens much more than we expected. Santorini has beautiful beaches, but is expensive and touristy. Also we enjoyed Corfu more than we expected also.
HeightsAg
Sure Ios has a good night life scene as does Thira in Santorini but it has a lot more variety of things to do during the day than Mykonos.
bones75
AG
We enjoyed mainland Greece more than the islands. Loved Nafplio, Olympia, Delphi, and Meteora. Of course, Athens is a given. However, it doesn't sound like you will have much time there, so maybe, Athens, Nafplio, and islands.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Federale01
AG
Just to expand...If you do Santorini, I stayed in Prygos, which is a quiet hillside village. The island was crowded so I was happy to be away from the crowds. It felt more residential than the other towns. You don't get the cliff side views, but the 360 views from the top of the hill were amazing. Plus we rented cars so it was easy to get to the other towns. Thira and Oia were awesome, but pretty crowded.
512Ag
AG
If you're into the history of Greece even a little bit you might consider more than one day is Athens. My wife and I stayed an extra day because there was so much to see and to learn. The Acropolis is fantastic at sunset; you can walk in the footsteps of Socrates at the Ancient Agora; the sheer size of the ruins at Temple of Olympian Zeus is overwhelming. I cannot say enough great things about Athens.

The islands are also amazing, so you can't really go wrong. Greece is great.

Edit: I second what Federale says about staying in a smaller town on Santorini. It's way more laid back and you can pretty easily get to the larger towns by car or bus.
Apache
AG
Crete is a short hydrofoil ride from Santorini. Great beaches & awesome sites ranging from Minoan cities to Venetian fortresses. There is also Samarra Gorge which is a great hike.
RebelE Infantry
AG
My wife and I did our honeymoon trip to Athens and Crete. Like others mentioned- Athens is awesome for history. Make sure to have dinner at Strofi after sundown and sit on the rooftop patio. The view can't be beat.

On Crete we stayed in Elounda. It's a great little town, a bit touristy but not crowded and the seafood at the waterfront tavernas can't be beat. From there we toured the Venitian fortress island of Spinalonga, drove about an hour and a half to the ruins of the Minoan palace at Knossos, visited the museum in Heraklion, and some olive oil farm and winery tours in Agios Nikolos.

No matter where you go, be sure to drink the local liqueur Mastiha.

Last note- if you need a travel agent, I can get you in touch with my aunt. She set up the whole trip for us and was able to get us some sweet upgrades on our room and some other amenities.
Travelag08
Thanks for all the suggestions! Definitely going to Santorini - looking forward to it.

I think I will have to save Crete for another visit. It seems like it warrants its own trip!

Has anyone been to Naxos? I'm thinking a small trip there to see another island.
90 bull
AG
We went to Naxos for a few days earlier this year. It was off season (March) so not the best representation of it during the summer. Good beaches, and a good main town. The ferry from Athens took about 5 hours, and had a good view of a lot of islands on the way.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.