suggestions for Caribbean anniversary vacation

1,857 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Keeper of The Spirits
Aggies76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We're looking for ideas for a moderately priced Caribbean vacation for our 40th anniversary for spring of 2019. We like to snorkel, fish, hike, sightsee and, since it is an anniversary celebration, eat at a nice restaurant or two.

Has anyone had a great experience that they would like to share? We were originally thinking about the Virgin Islands (either US or British) but wondering if the hurricane damage is still a problem there.
Aggie1205
AG
Stonefield Estates in St Lucia.
Aggies76
AG
What did you like best about St. Lucia?
09Ag
AG
I'm going to the Virgin Islands next week with my gf. The USVI are supposed to be good to go. The British VI had more damage, so we are just boating there for day trips. I'll let you know how it is. The VI definitely check all your boxes.
Aggie1205
AG
Aggies76 said:

What did you like best about St. Lucia?

It wasn't just beaches. Lots to do off the beach like hike, zip line, etc. Great nature trails and the views around the Pitons are fantastic. We didn't snorkel but it seemed to be popular. The western side of the island had several good restaurants. Beautiful country and felt safe.
Aggies76
AG
Thanks Aggie1205 and 09Ag !
agfan2013
AG
I'm getting married in early March 2019 and our honeymoon planning eventually came down to St. Lucia and St. Kitts for many of the same reasons you have listed. We knew you could snorkel, scuba dive, and do all the usual water activities on almost any island, but also wanted to go somewhere with plenty of inland things to do like hiking, historical attractions, etc.

We ended up going with St. Kitts with it being a bit cheaper and still having a ton of on-island stuff for us to do, so my only recommendation is at least give it a look as from all of my research it seems like it will meet all of our expectations and then some.

When I was researching the USVI and BVI it seemed like there were still significant infrastructure problems and lots of places not back up and running to full capacity. I know they need tourism to help recover, but we didnt want to compromise anything on our honeymoon so ended up taking the safer route by going with a non affected island. Maybe in a few years we can check it out as the USVI was definitely one of the cheapest Caribbean options when I was researching.
rebelag62
AG
I've been to St. John and St. Thomas USVI twice now. I don't know how it is after the hurricane, but the place is amazing. I would pass on St. Thomas and go straight St. John. We got a good deal on an airbnb, I would highly recommend that unless you want to fork over a small fortune to stay at one of the resorts. Great beaches, some good hiking spots, and there are some nice fancy places to eat. We did two separate boat trips over to the British Islands. Lots of great snorkeling, the Baths (Virgin Gorda) are cool, have to hit up the Soggy dollar bar. There's a floating bar that's really cool too although I don't remember the name.
Petrino1
Island hop around the Virgin Islands or hop around St Maarten/Anguilla/St Barth's. Can't go wrong with either and can experience different islands/beaches.

St Kitts does not have nice beaches.
SW AG80
AG
We love the VI. That is our favorite place in the world. Don't know about hurricane damage. Caneel Bay on St. John will not be open in the foreseeable future. Everything on St. Croix is OK, but St. Croix is our least favorite of the USVI.

Check on Little Dix Bay in the BVI. It was being renovated when the hurricane hit. Should be reopened by 2019. Great place. There are some places to stay at Cane Bay in the BVI.

St. Thomas is too crowded and developed. We have never stayed there, just flown in and out of that airport.
Aggies76
AG
Thanks everyone!
Big Al 1992
AG
Caneel Bay at USVI is no longer. Sad. Wiped out and to much arguing about who want to spend money to re open it. Westin is still closed. Beaches are back to normal but in town is about half of what it was.

Anguilla is a fantastic spot - best beaches and great food but not cheap.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
White Bay Villas on Jost are back up and running
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.