Solo trip to Red River, NM

974 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by OlArmy12
OlArmy12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am thinking of making a trip to Red River for the weekend since I only live a few hours away. Any ideas on things to do on a solo adventure? I do like fishing and I dont know what else would be going on in early October. Thanks in advance!
CanyonAg77
AG
Colors are really nice right now. I understand that Cimarron Canyon is touch and go. Any time it rains, roads get flooded with silt. In the summer, you can rent Jeeps and fish the high mountain lakes or tour old gold camps. Don't know about now. Also lots of ATV rentals
wildcat08
AG
You might enjoy this: http://comanchecreekbrewingco.com/. Funky little brew pub in a remote location between Red River and Eagle Nest. Should be open Saturday and great little place to kick back, enjoy the views and the peace and quiet.

By the way, based on the local forecast, you shouldn't have any problems with Cimarron Canyon.
txagfisher
AG
Red River Brewing Co. opened recently in town. Beers are good, didn't try the food. There was a decent wait to get in, but we were there for Labor Day, so YMMV.

Depending on what you are driving, the drive up to Greenie Peak is pretty cool.

There is a pond in town you can fish. Rent an ATV and drive Goose Lake trail (or drive what you drove out there, as long as the river is not too high to cross, you will need decent ground clearance to ford the river)

There is also some good hiking out that way. Download the Alltrails app and it has good info.
CanyonAg77
AG
Depending on the weather, your time schedule, your vehicle, and your sense of adventure, driving the dirt road from Boise City to Folsom, NM would be scenic. Can see some Santa Fe Trail swales. Cross the scenic Johnson Mesa. Or go through Clayton, dine at the Eklund, see the dinosaur tracks at the lake.

In Cimmaron, the historic St.James is worth a look.

Other than that, the route is sort of desolate
ursusguy
AG
Hang out in Ute Park at sundown and listen to the elk bulging.

Yes, keep in mind they will shut 67 down fast if it is raining. It takes very little to trigger a mud flow.
OlArmy12
AG
Thanks guys! I did a couple of hikes. Went down Little Arsenic trail to see the Rio grande and it was beautiful. Scenery is amazing. I did Lost Lake trail and made it about 3/4 the way and turned back after the trail got really narrow on the edge of a cliff, got me nervous.

Did some fishing and the fish were really biting at Cimarron Canyon.

I also visited the Capulin Volcano in Capulin on the way back home. Definitely a must see.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.