Going to Boston in May 2019

2,097 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Rexter
monarch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
My wife and I are making plans to go to Boston next May when the Astros play the Red Sox. Initial plans are to arrive on a Weds, see the Fri and Sun games and leave Boston the following Monday.

Any idea on where to stay? I have a ton of Hilton points so more than likely will use those, but am open to staying in a small (# of rooms) locally owned hotel. We will do all the historic stuff, visit Cambridge, see other stuff, etc. Suggestions on restaurants maybe?

Do we need a car or is "Baaaston" like Chicago, the Big Apple, DC for subways?

Any help would be appreciated.
bac
AG
You could probably guess this, but the more out of town you stay, the cheaper.

Boston has a great subway ("the T") system. I wouldn't think you should get a car.
beatlesphan
AG
I'll focus on Hilton options. There is a Hilton in the Back Bay on Dalton St that is over by the Prudential. This location would be most ideal for shopping/eating on Newbury St or the Prudential and getting to Fenway (easy walking distance). It has a commercial feel and is near Berklee College of Music. Its on the subway's green line which will take you downtown in a matter of 3-4 stops. Then there is a Curio and a Hilton over in down town. These options are better for historical sightseeing and have a little more versatile subway access (for example, to get to Cambridge you have to take the red line which is easily doable from downtown; in the Back Bay you'd have to go to downtown first to hop on the red line).

For your agenda I'd probably recommend staying downtown. But you'd be fine in the Back Bay too, just depends what you/the wife are looking for.

Don't get a car. Hard to park in the city and you can walk pretty much anywhere (and when you can't walk just take the "T" (subway).

Weather in May can be 45 and raining or a perfect 70 and sunny. Just bring an umbrella. Enjoy!!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
DallasAg2
AG
No car for Boston, only for other city visits.
Go eat at Neptune Oyster at 4pm for the hot lobster roll.
Texas Ag Mom
We were just there is August. We stayed at the Hilton Doubletree at 821 Washington. We felt like it was pretty centrally located & updated. We ubered from the airport. Spent 2 days walking (8 miles ea day) & felt like we hit most of the main sights. If you stay there ask for a room on a high floor overlooking the courtyard because the hotel is by Tufts Medical Center. We didn't hear any "street" noise.
The Chicken Ranch
AG
Hotel prices are brutal, but it is a great city to visit.
malenurse
AG
I'm leaving Tuesday morning and staying 5 days, 4 night. We booked an Air BnB downtown across the street from the State House. It's a loft style apartment, paying about 1k (including fees) for the 4 nights. Also not renting a car.

I'll give you a report next week.
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But, it's still on the list.
jetch17
AG
We stayed at Hilton Downtown Fanieul Hall about a month ago and it was a fine central location

Boston is a blast, esp Fenway
jrod2181
DallasAg2 said:

No car for Boston, only for other city visits.
Go eat at Neptune Oyster at 4pm for the hot lobster roll.

Neptune Oyster Bar was great. We did not go at 4 but went at 12 on a Sunday. About 45 min wait but damn that thing was good
Matsui
AG
100% no car. The subway is easy and the town isn't that large frankly.
The Chicken Ranch
AG
Go eat Italian food somewhere in the Italian District. It really doesn't matter where, just do it!
malenurse
AG
My wife and I went the first week of October. We stayed in an Air BnB right across the street from the state house. Great location. We did the Trolley tour the first day and got a good overall view of the city.

After that, we either walked or used the "T". DO NOT GET A CAR. The only time we Ubered, was to and from the airport.

Parking will be expensive, plus, the streets are confusing as hell.

The North End, the Italian area, is great for eating. Pick a place and enjoy. Go to both Mikes and Modern Pastry shops and get cannolis and tirimasu.

The Freedom trail can be walked, but we incorporated it with the trolley tour. When you go to see The Constitution, leave your pocket knife at home. It is still a commissioned warship and you have to go through security to board. Not only was my knife to large, the seaman told me it was illegal in Massachusets because it was an assisted opening model. I find it ironic that, in the state where are freedoms and liberty were established, has become so restrictive on personal liberties.

Go to Cheers and have a beer. Visit both the small, original bar downstairs, and the recreation bar upstairs. I ate there on my birthday and had fish and chips and several beers. Also go to the pubs and drink some beer and eat pub food. My favorite was Emmets which was two blocks from our apartment. The shepherds pie was outstanding.

We tried to do a whale watching tour but it got cancelled due to offshore weather. Try to take the ferry to Salem if possible. Skip the aquarium. It is nothing special.
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But, it's still on the list.
MAS444
AG
Going to the ALCS Game 6 (assuming there is one) in Boston. We'll just be there for 24 hours...arriving about 4 - 5 hours before the game. Either staying at the Verb Hotel right across the street from Fenway or the nearby Hilton (about the same price). Any recs/reviews/comparisons between the 2 hotels and/or what to do around the stadium before/after the game? I assume we wouldn't have time to go anywhere not right around there...?
breezecustomtravel
AG
Boston is one of my favorite cities in the US. My husband and I have been 4 or 5 times in the past few years.

We've stayed at the Hilton Downtown and it was really nice. We normally stay at Marriott but we ended up getting a good deal on Priceline for it and were pleasantly surprised. It was close to subway and walking distance from a lot of things we were doing. Our favorite Marriott there is the Marriott Long Wharf, right on the harbor and fun to watch all the boats coming and going.

Like most everyone is saying you do not need a car, uber to/from the airport, and walk or take the subway everywhere else.

Some restaurants you might want to check out:
Giacomo's (North End)
Yankee Lobster
Regina's Pizzeria
Island Creek Oyster Bar - get the Lobster Roe Noodles
Neptune's Oyster - Lobster Roll

If you're a brewery fan you have to go to Sam Adams and then ride the trolley over to Doyle's. (I think the Orange line goes out to Sam Adams) AND the pretzels at Harpoon Brewery are fantastic!

Other than the Freedom Trail and all the other historic sites to see I would definitely check out the USS Constitution. We took a tour of this the last time we were there and it was one of the highlights of that trip.

If you have any questions or specific interests feel free to contact me.
Lauren K '07
www.breezecustomtravel.com
@breezecustomtravel
The Chicken Ranch
AG
I second Yankee Lobster. That place rocks!
monarch
S
MAS444:

What street is that Hilton on?
beatlesphan
AG
The Verb is basically attached to Fenway. That whole area will be bumpin and I would not expect to get much sleep if you're looking for a restful night. The Verb is nice and has an attached restaurant and bar that is a popular spot for the young singles of Boston.

Hilton is a little removed from that area but still plenty close for walking.

Depends on what you're looking for. There are a lot of great bars all in that area you could go to, even baseball themed ones like baseball tavern or bleacher bar. But if you're wearing Astros gear I can't promise the Bostonians won't be on your ass about it.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Rexter
We stay at Omni Parker House. Walk or ride the T just about everywhere. Gotta have Parker House rolls and Boston cream pie at the place that made them first.

Artu on Prince St is some great Italian food. Mike's Pastry is right around the corner and excelllent as well.

Salem is a waste of time unless you want to see House of Seven Gables.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.