Golf in Kauai

1,124 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Smokedraw01
Keeper of The Spirits
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Any recommendations, I am just going to play one day.
Austintm
Makai course on north shore (Princeville). MUCH better views than South Shore courses. Just trust me on this one. Shots over the ocean. Views of Hanalei Bay and Bali Hai. Views of the mountains.

Prince Course was also pretty awesome, but it's closed. Still hoping for redevelopment. It was stupid hard, though.
Ag CPA
AG
I played the Prince Course a thousand times on Tiger Woods PGA Golf and was heartbroken when I realized it was closed last year when we stayed in Princeville.
SweaterVest
AG
I've played Makai several times and it was fantastic and generally not crowded. The first time I went I planned on only playing once so I rented clubs which was expensive. Once I got there and realized I'd be waking up at 4am every day due to the time change I wished I had my clubs so I could play every morning before the rest of the family was up. If you decide to play more than once, check out the 3 round packages you can buy online. Some of them are good for multiple courses on the island and it might be worth your money even if you only play twice.
Smokedraw01
Makai is by far my favorite course on the island and I'll be playing it when we go back in November. Poipu Bay is really nice as well.

I believe they repoened the Princeville course but I was told that it was going private.

Wailua Golf Course is a great municipal course that is easy on the pocket book and probably as nice as 90% of the course you'll play in Texas.

Not golf related but make sure you go watch the sunset on the Hanalei Pier.
Austintm
Or watch it from the bar or patio at St. Regis, which is about 2 minutes down the road from the course.

I believe Prince is still closed. They have been talking about reopening, originally as a private course but also have some some discussions about having public times. I think it is up in the air

Makai is great
Smokedraw01
Austintm said:

Or watch it from the bar or patio at St. Regis, which is about 2 minutes down the road from the course.

I believe Prince is still closed. They have been talking about reopening, originally as a private course but also have some some discussions about having public times. I think it is up in the air

Makai is great
Very true about the St. Regis bar/patio. I've done both but I really enjoy the pier more. I'm not sure why.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
We are staying at the St. Regis and heard the cocktail deck was great sunset. I thinks staying at the St Regis get me on at Princeville
SweaterVest
AG
To my knowledge Princeville is not open, but that could have changed since last year. Makai is the course in Princeville that is open and it is fantastic. You will be able to get on. If you're going straight to kauai I suggest bringing your clubs because you'll be up at 4-5 am every morning with nothing to do. Get a golf package and go get 9 holes in at least.
Austintm
Slightly off topic, but eat at:

Bar Acuda. Will need reservations
. Dolphin for seafood & sushi
Chicken in a Barrel and Bubba's Burgers for casual

Near the Lighthouse: pizza at Kilauea Bakey & Pizza; nicer food at The Bistro

Be sure to take the hike to Queen's Bath while at St. Regis
Smokedraw01
Austintm said:

Slightly off topic, but eat at:

Bar Acuda. Will need reservations
. Dolphin for seafood & sushi
Chicken in a Barrel and Bubba's Burgers for casual

Near the Lighthouse pizza at Kilauea Bakey & Pizza; nicer food at The Bistro

Be sure to take the hike to Queen's Bath while at St. Regis
I'll second Dolphin, try the scallops or Ahi. Frederico's near the Foodland in Princeville is pretty damn good as well.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.