NYC

8,176 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by DD88
BQ04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Heading to NYC for business, going to take the bride and stay a couple days extra days. Never been before.

We are staying near Times Sq (location determined by work).

Any thoughts on the must-sees? Good restaurants? Best means of getting around city?
aTm2004
AG
Best means for getting around is the subway. Traffic is everywhere, so a cab wouldn't be my go-to.

Restaurants my wife and I like:
- Bubby's for breakfast. This is, without a doubt, my wife's favorite place in NYC
- Amy's Bread is a good grab and go place for baked goods for breakfast
- Little Owl...a bit pricey, but is a small place and a good date spot. If your wife is a Friends fan, it's in the building they always showed on the show, so there's that bonus
- Girello is a small pizza place that's relaxed and very good

Also, if you've never been, you have to do the touristy stuff...Top of the Rock, Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty, 9/11 Memorial, etc. I'd also suggest walking around Columbia as it's a beautiful campus.
Always_Right
AG
  • Take a carriage ride around Central Park
  • Broadway show
  • Grand Central Station
  • Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island
  • Yankees Game or tour of stadium
  • Take the subway to Brooklyn then walk back across the Brooklyn Bridge
  • 911 Museum and One World Tower observation deck

Just an FYI, if you are flying into LGA, there is still a lot of construction going on so you'll have to catch a bus that takes you off site to puck up an Uber or pre-arranged car service. I use dial7 when transferring to and from the airport.

I've been to NYC several times so if I can help answer any questions you may have don't hesitate to pm me.
BSD
AG
The Met and MoMA are a mustfor art lovers. MoMA is a fast visit because the 5th floor has all of the good stuff (Van Gogh, Monet, Picasso) and you can skip the other floors because they are too "modern" (soda cans hanging from coat hangers. The Met can be a whole day.

Food wise: we had a good meal at ABC kitchen and Per Se.
500,000ags
AG
I went three years in a row between 2013 and 2015. All those visits combined to about 4.5 months. It changes so much, I wouldn't feel comfortable even making recommendations any longer. There are the very obvious choices like Luger's, MOMA, Met, Smorgasburg, Yankees game, or any event in MSG.
mrsbeer05
AG
Los Tacos #1 close to Times Square has great tacos and is super cheap.

The main NYC public library currently has the original Winnie the Pooh and other animals owned by the real Christopher Robin
rlb28
AG
Stopped by there last trip, tacos just as good as in Texas!
Matsui
AG
Uhhh there are a lot of Mexicans in new york
double aught
AG
Great_I_Am said:

Just an FYI, if you are flying into LGA, there is still a lot of construction going on so you'll have to catch a bus that takes you off site to puck up an Uber or pre-arranged car service. I use dial7 when transferring to and from the airport.
When I flew into LGA on Aug 29 this was not the case. It was a short walk to a parking garage that was full of Ubers.
ATM9000
AG
double aught said:

Great_I_Am said:

When I flew into LGA on Aug 29 this was not the case. It was a short walk to a parking garage that was full of Ubers.

Yeah that all ended toward mid May of so. It's all in that garage on the west end of the airport now.
Always_Right
AG
ATM9000 said:

double aught said:

Great_I_Am said:

Yeah that all ended toward mid May of so. It's all in that garage on the west end of the airport now.
Good to know, haven't been back to NYC since earlier this year.
k20dub
AG
Looking at taking a trip with the wife Early December. I've been once but it was 15 years ago. Any recommendations on where to stay? Wife has never been so we would be doing all the touristy stuff.
Always_Right
AG
k20dub said:

Looking at taking a trip with the wife Early December. I've been once but it was 15 years ago. Any recommendations on where to stay? Wife has never been so we would be doing all the touristy stuff.
December is a great time to go because no one does Christmas like NYC! We go each year and will be there Dec. 17th - 21st, if you have any questions about what to do just let me know. Anywhere in Manhattan should be fine but would suggest somewhere within walking distance of Rockefeller Center if you want to be close to the Christmas scenery.
aTm2004
AG
k20dub said:

Christmas in NYC is awesome! The whole city just feels a bit different...it's hard to explain.
k20dub
AG
That's the reason we're trying to go at that time. Do I try Hotwire?

I've done it a few times in the past with good success, but I feel like NYC may be a bit different...
Always_Right
AG
k20dub said:

That's the reason we're trying to go at that time. Do I try Hotwire?

I've done it a few times in the past with good success, but I feel like NYC may be a bit different...
Hotel prices are high in general for NYC, they are even higher usually during December. I'm fortunate that I travel a lot for work so I end up using points for our hotel stays. I just did a quick search on Marriott and it looks like hotel prices are anywhere from $350 - $700 a night in Manhattan the first week of December. Hotels.com has a few in the $200's for that week as well.
k20dub
AG
Thanks for the help. Appreciate it!
Always_Right
AG
k20dub said:

Thanks for the help. Appreciate it!
No problem, if I can be of further assistance please let me know. You'll really enjoy NYC at Christmas, its my favorite trip each year, enjoy!
k20dub
AG
Alright, just booked our trip to NYC for December 15th -19th.

Any restaurant recommendations that we need to go ahead and make reservations for?

We are open to anything. Staying in the Manhattan area.
OldAg92
AG
Sorry to hijack, but we will be in NYC over Thanksgiving and I am looking for a restaurant recommendation for Thanksgiving dinner. We are staying in Hell's Kitchen area and we do not need traditional turkey & dressing kinda food. In fact, something non-traditional would actually be more fun. We did seafood in SF last year for Thanksgiving dinner.
Wolfpac 08
AG
https://texags.com/forums/12/topics/2989762/replies/52877264#52877264

Decent suggestions from the GB
dcAg
Peter Luger
Wolfgang's
Redeye Grille

One World Observatory
The High Line
Brooklyn Bridge
Gugenheim
Always_Right
AG
k20dub said:

Alright, just booked our trip to NYC for December 15th -19th.

Any restaurant recommendations that we need to go ahead and make reservations for?

We are open to anything. Staying in the Manhattan area.
Cool, I'll be there the 17th - 21st.
malenurse
AG
I'm in on this conversation too. Wife and I will be there Dec 11-15
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But, it's still on the list.
Ag_N_Houston
AG
We've got a room booked the weekend after thanksgiving.

I know the tree lighting at Rockefeller Center isn't until the 28th (day after we leave). Will most of the window displays and other decorations around the city already be up?
DallasAggie89
AG
We'll be there same time as you. Went last year exact same timeframe and everything was up.
Ag_N_Houston
AG
Thanks
Always_Right
AG
I may have some extra tickets to the Rockettes and the Lion King if anyone is interested. Rockettes is December 18th and the Lion King is December 19th.
malenurse
AG
After perusing all the shows available during the week I will be there. My wife and I are taking a flyer and going to see "Ruben and Clay's First Annual Christmas Carol Family Fun Pageant Spectacular Reunion Show".
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But, it's still on the list.
Big Al 1992
AG
We will just miss you - and our girls want to go see Rockettes.

We've done Christmas in NYC before and it's great - even when it is butt cold, you don't notice as much. Yes it's crowded and hectic but lots of cheer around. Going again this year. Always on lookout for new suggestions as well.
Ag_N_Houston
AG
We bought tickets for To Kill A Mockingbird.
Always_Right
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

We will just miss you - and our girls want to go see Rockettes.

We've done Christmas in NYC before and it's great - even when it is butt cold, you don't notice as much. Yes it's crowded and hectic but lots of cheer around. Going again this year. Always on lookout for new suggestions as well.
Still plenty of good seats for the Rockettes, you can usually get good seats if you walk up. I usually buy as soon as they are available to ensure we get on the first few rows. I hope you guys enjoy your trip, as you said, no place like NYC around Christmas.
Always_Right
AG
malenurse said:

After perusing all the shows available during the week I will be there. My wife and I are taking a flyer and going to see "Ruben and Clay's First Annual Christmas Carol Family Fun Pageant Spectacular Reunion Show".
That sounds like an interesting show, we usually go and see the Rockettes and a broadway show while we are there for Christmas.
dead zip 01
AG
My wife and I have tickets the following weekend.
If possible, please post a review after you see it.
Ag_N_Houston
AG
Will do.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.