Providence, RI - Recommendations

1,385 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by rebelag62
GT_Aggie2015
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Going to be in Providence for work next month. I've never been and have a day to kill. Any thing that I must see or do within driving distance (<1 hour)?
Dr.Rumack
I'm sure there's a great brewery close by. Google it.
ComeAndTakeIt
Visit Newport and Plymouth instead. There isn't anything in Providence.
GT_Aggie2015
AG
ComeAndTakeIt said:

Visit Newport and Plymouth instead. There isn't anything in Providence.
What's in Newport and Plymouth?
HollywoodBQ
AG
Rhode Island Dolls

If you had more time, I'd recommend driving over to New London, CT and touring the USS Nautilus.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Dr.Rumack said:

If you get over to Boston, I do recommend the Samuel Adams Brewery tour.
GT_Aggie2015
AG
USS Nautilus sounds neat. I'll look into it.
GT_Aggie2015
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

Dr.Rumack said:

If you get over to Boston, I do recommend the Samuel Adams Brewery tour.
Going there next in November and will definitely stop by.
Matsui
AG
My folks live there. What are you into?
GT_Aggie2015
AG
Breweries, museums, must visit eateries, sports, visiting other college campuses (so maybe Brown?)
beatlesphan
AG
One day will be plenty for Providence. Downtown is walkable with access to Brown campus as well. The first Baptist church of America is also in that same area.

Get some pizza- Providence is known for their Italian culture. It's also a blue collar town. One of the classic pizza spots is Caserta's not far from downtown. You will see, the customers there are definitely salt of the earth type folks.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Wicked Good Ag
Fall foilage will be starting up. I would look to see when the colors come and find some side trips
New England during October and November is beautiful
Matsui
AG
Here is what my folks replied....

Walking downtown fun. Depending on day. There's GPub which is great football atmosphere. There's rooftop at Providence G and Mare rooftop views of the city. Hemingway's best seafood in town. Fresh. Go to Federal Hill. Italian. It's amazing. Lots of history like little Italy. Tour Gillette stadium museum- super bowl stuff. So neat. There are tons of local breweries so depending on day they offer tours. If going soon light house tour. Or can ride fast ferry from Providence to Newport.
GT_Aggie2015
AG
Thanks, everyone. All of this helps
GT_Aggie2015
AG
GPub was neat and so was Federal Hill. I was recommended Scicilia's so we tried that and it was okay. Should have done Caserta's. Here for two more days and will try to venture to some of the other suggestions.
GT_Aggie2015
AG
Was also recommended Rogue Island and Sea Place. Anyone have feedback on them? Going to try Hemingway's at some point.
Matsui
AG
Hemingways is outstanding. Excellent. Get some local fish.
rebelag62
AG
Fort Adams is really cool. It's not in Providence, but it's worth going to. As far as food goes, if you like hot dogs, Olneyville New York system is great. I know they're wieners not hot dogs, but most people don't know what that means. Tons of great pizza. There are a couple of good breweries, Union Station Brewery is one I liked. I'm stuck up here for work too, will probably catch the game at GPub
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.