Is it stupid to travel to Turkey?

2,132 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Tumble Weed
DapperDanMan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We have friends that work in Moscow, but are originally from Texas. They spend a couple of weeks in Turkey in the summer and they have asked my wife and I to meet them there next summer.
I've always wanted to travel to Turkey after reading a three volume set about the Byzantine Empire. However I'd feel pretty stupid when they're cutting my head off and leaving my three children behind as orphans. I also would never speak to our friends again.
Has anyone been there recently who can tell me it's safe and that I'll make it back home alive with my wife?
River
Went there 8 years ago. Loved Istanbul and came back fine.
90 bull
AG
Was in kusadasi, Izmir, and Istanbul last month. I felt comfortable and safe at all times. After the terrorist attacked a few years ago, their tourism dropped like crazy. It is still less than half of what it was then, so it is inexpensive and they really show appreciation for tourists. I think you would love it.
Spore Ag
I am thinking of going now as the currency is in free fall and the people are not only great but will be more welcoming than ever.
Had this debate with some foreigners about how Americans avoid countries with bad news reports.
DapperDanMan
AG
Thanks for the responses. It seems like a great time to go from a cost standpoint and I've heard the people are very hospitable. Just wanted some reassurance from someone that's been there.
ColoradoMooseHerd
Parents recently went and enjoyed it with no problems. May want to keep up with local events and talk with hotel to avoid certain areas or protests, but same can be said for visiting Washington, DC.
10andBOUNCE
AG
I love to travel but the whole risk reward calculator doesn't compute for me with Turkey. But that's just a personal view. I don't know how beneficial a few people on a message board who made it safely would be for me if I were on the fence
I Play With Guns
S
Absolutely love Turkey and Istanbul! When I went, I felt very safe. The people were more than friendly and welcoming.

The only thing you will have to worry about is pocket pickers in/around the Grand Bazaar but you have to worry about pocket pickers all over the world.

Go to Turkey and enjoy the history and beauty and everything else it has to offer!

If you do go, make sure you have a hamam on your agenda.

And make sure you go to the lounge at the airport in Istanbul. Out of all the lounges I've been in across the world, that one always remains my favorite.
Federale01
AG
I would wait till the current diplomatic row is over.

http://thehill.com/policy/international/402593-shots-fired-outside-us-embassy-in-turkey
Pro Sandy
AG
It may end up putting you on the secret list that makes TSA put air marshals out to tail you.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/nation/2018/08/18/tsa-says-armed-air-marshals-don-follow-ordinary-fliers-some-ordinary-fliers-beg-differ/Y0k3mV3HPUCgzS20PpAU3H/amp.html
schmendeler
AG
jed98 said:

We have friends that work in Moscow, but are originally from Texas. They spend a couple of weeks in Turkey in the summer and they have asked my wife and I to meet them there next summer.
I've always wanted to travel to Turkey after reading a three volume set about the Byzantine Empire. However I'd feel pretty stupid when they're cutting my head off and leaving my three children behind as orphans. I also would never speak to our friends again.
Has anyone been there recently who can tell me it's safe and that I'll make it back home alive with my wife?
do you think your friends are stupid? do you think they would invite you to a place where they felt like they were in danger or thought you would be in danger?

strange.
Ag CPA
AG
This is the travel board, you'll be convinced into booking a trip to Syria if you hang around long enough.
I Play With Guns
S
^do you know how many beautiful UNESCO world heritage sites Syria contains??!!!
Spore Ag
One of my biggest regrets is not being able to go Palmyra. A dodgy prospect now. I would not have a problem with Turkey. The last shooting was in Ankara.
davido
AG
I think people always feel safe... right up to when the black bag goes over their head and they're tossed into a windowless van.
DapperDanMan
AG
That's my concern. My friends have had kidnapping training because of their work over seas. I was trying to get a wider view of the country of others that have been there.
Post removed:
by user
Tumble Weed
The debate isn't whether Turkey is awesome or is a great value. It clearly is.

I have been twice and drove across the country on the second trip. Hit Istanbul, Izmir, Kusadasi, Bodrum. It was a blast. The Gezi Park riots broke out while we were there, and that wasn't as much fun, as I was traveling with my wife and two young daughters.

That being said, we have decided that we are not going back, at least as long as Ergodon is president. Too many risks for me. I don't want to be a pawn used by Ergodon and Trump in a pissing contest.

Another coincidental side note, I am always flagged for additional screening everytime I travel internationally. Every single time. Could be random ....

ETA
My position on not traveling to Turkey changed because of the case of the American Pastor being detained. I am not afraid the locals declaring a jihad on me and separating my head from my shoulders on YouTube. I just do not trust the current government.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.