TSA precheck questions

5,592 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by agracer
62strat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
JMac03 said:

62strat said:

htxag09 said:

62strat said:

Is there any other benefit to GE over Tsa pre if not traveling internationally?

It's only $15 more. Even if you only travel internationally once with it, well worth the extra $15
Well our upcoming international trip is too close to get GE; it says it takes a few months, where as tsa pre is a few weeks.

In 5 years, I'll go GE. Our kids are too young now to do long international flights, so I don't see many in the next couple years.
Like someone else said above, I had my GE within 3 weeks max. I know TA probably too late since you already got TSA. But it def doesn't take months. And I had my approval within 30 minutes too.
Oh well. yeh I already signed up for TSApre and the soonest date they had for a 3:30pm or later was 9/6, we leave for cancun 10/7. I don't want to do any more changes I may screw myself.

62strat
AG
JMac03 said:

62strat said:

htxag09 said:

62strat said:

Is there any other benefit to GE over Tsa pre if not traveling internationally?

It's only $15 more. Even if you only travel internationally once with it, well worth the extra $15
Well our upcoming international trip is too close to get GE; it says it takes a few months, where as tsa pre is a few weeks.

In 5 years, I'll go GE. Our kids are too young now to do long international flights, so I don't see many in the next couple years.
Like someone else said above, I had my GE within 3 weeks max. I know TA probably too late since you already got TSA. But it def doesn't take months. And I had my approval within 30 minutes too.
Another thing I forgot about; unless I'm searching wrong, GE in person interviews for Colorado are only at DEN. That isn't very convenient for either of us at all.

TSA Pre Check in person interviews have locations outside of DEN, and coincidentally there is one right by our house.
txags92
AG
Just to update, we just came back in from Grand Cayman through Fort Lauderdale on Friday midday, and GE allowed us to walk right past what was easily at least 60-90 minutes worth of lines. There was one line for the kiosks that you could also avoid with the mobile passport app, but the second line for the live rep had one guy at one counter checking all the kiosk receipts. The line for that was easily 45 mins alone. We walked right by to the GE machines (no line), got our slip, showed it to him and walked out. Including waiting for our bags, we were in and out in about 10 mins.

TSA precheck was nice going both ways as well. Another 20 minutes or so not standing in lines saved. Definitely money well spent.
62strat
AG
Update on our process.

We had appointments at a non airport location on Tuesday at 3:30 and 3:40 for wife and me.

We both got there at 3:25ish.. No one was there waiting and only 1 lady at front desk. We signed in, and she immediately brought us to a room 10' away from front desk. Wife went first; confirmed name/address then finger prints and credit card swipe. I went second, we were out in no more than 4-5 minutes. Still no one there in lobby.

I get email today, 3 days later, with email saying we were approved. You log in with DOB and a code they give you (provided on receipt and in an email immediately following our appointment) and it shows you your KTN.
Very easy and quick process. I just got done logging into southwest and frontier to add them to our itinerary.

This place had a sign saying their hours were until 4:30. Would have been nice to get a 4:10-4:20 appt. but every day was full for those hours. For some reason I doubt they had people coming for that last 40 minutes.

The next day, the charges were still pending on chase united card. On Thurs. they were posted, and there was already a credit for $85 for one of them. So chase united is on the ball as well for this credit.

Overall very happy. I wonder if I did GE if it would have been that fast. If I knew for sure, or if I thought to do this 3-4 weeks before now, I would have.
Fairview
AG
We had our kids global entry appointments last week. They are 11 and 12. I wondered how many questions they would ask them. It wasn't many but there were some and I had about an equal amount I had to speak to. They went in parallel with 2 officers. Total interview time for both was 6 minutes.

We had their approval and numbers that evening and got the cards in the mail one week later. Super easy process.
ChipFTAC01
AG
In meeting with the third party property management that manages one of the office buildings my company owns this week they brought up TSA precheck (or global entry, i cant remember.

Basically, as an ammenity theyll bring TSA in and set them up in a conference room amd tenants can schedule their interviews rather than schlep out to the airport or book an appointment 6 months out. Supposedly it was super well recieved and they are looking to do it at other buildings now.
BQ2001
AG
My company did this. TSA set up a little 3 office trailer and gave us first shot at making appointments (they opened up to the general public too). In and out in 15 minutes. Seemed like everyone I work with got one that day.
62strat
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

In meeting with the third party property management that manages one of the office buildings my company owns this week they brought up TSA precheck (or global entry, i cant remember.

Basically, as an ammenity theyll bring TSA in and set them up in a conference room amd tenants can schedule their interviews rather than schlep out to the airport or book an appointment 6 months out. Supposedly it was super well recieved and they are looking to do it at other buildings now.
globsl entry is airport only. Tsa pre is in locations outside of airport.

It's the main reason I did tsa pre this time. The location was right by our house.

And appt was only about 10 days out for aglfter 3pm. They had plenty slots the day I did application but not after 3.
agracer
AG
AustinScubaAg said:

BMX Bandit said:

htxag09 said:

BMX Bandit said:

AustinScubaAg said:

Just a warning. Do not assume you will have precheck every time. Precheck is not guarenteed I found that out the hard way.

You need to link your known traveler # to frequent flier account

Still not guaranteed. You will get it 99% of the time. But not guaranteed.

Then me & the people I know and work with are beating the odds amazingly! Thousands of flights, and once linking was properly done, precheck every single time.

The people that have not gotten precheck, has a problem in their account. Every single time

I had precheck for 2 years before not getting it on a flight. It had nothing to do with an account issue.

I didn't get it once and I figured out it was because my name on my flight reservation did not include my middle name. I got the counter to fix it at the airport and then had TSA Pre.

So make sure your flight reservation match your pre check information exactly or you won't get it.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.