TSA precheck questions

5,567 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by agracer
62strat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I just filled out the form online, made an appt for 9/6 at a location near my home. I hear the actual appt is only like 10 minutes; fingerprints, background check.

What happens after that? Do I get it right away or does it take a while? I have a flight 10/7, was hoping to be all good by then.

I have the united explorer that reimburses the $85 fee, so I figured why not. Need to get the wife to do it as well though, as I read that you cannot take a spouse if she is not also TSA-pre, only children under 12.

SW AG80
AG
Interview takes less than 5 minutes. Seems like we had our numbers in 2-3 weeks. Actual cards may have taken a little longer.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Got my number in a couple of days and waiting on the card. You should be fine.
62strat
AG
Another question on global entry; can a married couple go through with customs together if only one has global entry?

Is there any other benefit to GE over Tsa pre if not traveling internationally?
Fairview
AG
62strat said:

Another question on global entry; can a married couple go through with customs together if only one has global entry?

Everyone has to have global entry to use it.
Out in Left Field
AG
If you are TSA Pre-check, everyone who's on your booking should also get it. I think.
ColoradoMooseHerd
Out in Left Field said:

If you are TSA Pre-check, everyone who's on your booking should also get it. I think.
Usually, but does not always happen
62strat
AG
Out in Left Field said:

It specifically says on the website only people who can go through without it are children under 12 with a parent that has it.

I just signed wife and I both up, might as well.
Out in Left Field
AG
My wife's gotten it like 5 out of 5 times and only I have it, so who knows.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
I've never noticed the details of it all so I'll ask...

With TSA pre check do you just walk right through with out even having to put bags through the scanners, or is it simply bypassing the long security line? What is the exact process of walking through pre check?
62strat
AG
Pretty sure you have your own line (I see them at the airport) and website says you don't have to take laptops, liquids bag, iPads out of your bag. You can also leave on your shoes, light jackets, belts.

You still put luggage on scanner belt.
Fairview
AG
Like it was said you don't take anything off except for heavy coats. Leave all your stuff in your bags. Also they use the old style metal detectors and not the body scanners. There are always idiots in the line that somehow how to figure out how to slow it down but overall it's way better.
Tree Hugger
AG
It can depend on the airport.

At DAL there is a separate pre-check line and I just chunk my backpack on the conveyor and walk through the metal detector without removing anything.

But at MAF, everyone goes through the same line and they give the pre-check folks a pink card telling you to remove electronics larger than a cell phone from your bag. Then you surrender the pink card to get a pass through the metal detector instead of the scanner. I've been told that many of the smaller airports have similar situations.
Jock 07
AG
Out in Left Field said:

My wife's gotten it like 5 out of 5 times and only I have it, so who knows.
Same experience for me, as long as she is on the same reservation. I thought this was because I have precheck automatically through my DoD ID#. If I use miles for one ticket and pay for another she won't get it.
AustinScubaAg
AG
Prior to my wife getting global entry it was very hit or miss if she got precheck even on the same reservation.
superunknown
AG
Tree Hugger said:

It can depend on the airport.

At DAL there is a separate pre-check line and I just chunk my backpack on the conveyor and walk through the metal detector without removing anything.

But at MAF, everyone goes through the same line and they give the pre-check folks a pink card telling you to remove electronics larger than a cell phone from your bag. Then you surrender the pink card to get a pass through the metal detector instead of the scanner. I've been told that many of the smaller airports have similar situations.

This is my experience as well.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG

Quote:

I have the united explorer that reimburses the $85 fee

Could you please elaborate on this?
Fairview
AG
Bluecat_Aggie94 said:

Quote:

Earlier this year they took away other benefits on this card and added this as a new benefit. The details are on the cards website.
txags92
AG
My wife and I just went through the process for Global Entry in the last month, and it was actually very fast. I think we did the online application around July 30th, had conditional approvals in about 3 working days, were able to schedule our interviews at IAH for August 11th, received final approval notices about 20 minutes after the interview, and just got our cards in the mail yesterday. So less than 3 weeks start to finish. The interview consisted of being told to read a sheet with the rules laid out in 6 bullets, being asked if I understood the rules, having my picture taken, and my fingerprints scanned. I was never actually asked any other questions. Took about 5 minutes.

The PASSID # you get as part of the application and conditional approval is the # that will end up being your ID number. Once you are approved, go edit your reservation to add the PASSID as your "known traveler number" and when you do your check-in, it will print a boarding pass with pre-check authorized on it.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
When you go abroad with global entry, be sure to bring your card with you. For whatever reason, some foreign countries (Canada, Ireland) want to see your GE card before letting you into their domestic express process. Probably most applicable in countries where you clear US customs before departure.
htxag09
AG
62strat said:

It's only $15 more. Even if you only travel internationally once with it, well worth the extra $15
BQ2001
AG
It's well worth it in Denver. I don't think I've ever waited more than 5 min in line in TSA pre at DIA.
BMX Bandit
BQ2001 said:

It's well worth it in Denver. I don't think I've ever waited more than 5 min in line in TSA pre at DIA.
on a trip in March, they only had TSA working on south entry. the line stretched all the way back down past the escalators, then half way down the north entry section. 20 minutes total. amazingly efficient.
Matsui
AG
No
Snipes
AG
Global entry definitely won't let you through unless everybody has it.

I flew in from Amsterdam to IAH with wife and 4 month old in tow in May and the agent wouldn't let us pass because kiddo didn't have it.

Im not sure in other cities but not huge benefit to having global entry anymore in Houston because the global entry line has been just as bad as the normal immigration line last few times I flew.

Totally spend the extra $15 bucks to get it though because there will be once in a blue moon it pays off.

AustinScubaAg
AG
Just a warning. Do not assume you will have precheck every time. Precheck is not guarenteed I found that out the hard way.
BMX Bandit
AustinScubaAg said:

Just a warning. Do not assume you will have precheck every time. Precheck is not guarenteed I found that out the hard way.

You need to link your known traveler # to frequent flier account
htxag09
AG
BMX Bandit said:

AustinScubaAg said:

Still not guaranteed. You will get it 99% of the time. But not guaranteed.
BMX Bandit
htxag09 said:

BMX Bandit said:

AustinScubaAg said:

Then me & the people I know and work with are beating the odds amazingly! Thousands of flights, and once linking was properly done, precheck every single time.

The people that have not gotten precheck, has a problem in their account. Every single time
Fairview
AG
BMX Bandit said:

htxag09 said:

BMX Bandit said:

AustinScubaAg said:

Then me & the people I know and work with are beating the odds amazingly! Thousands of flights, and once linking was properly done, precheck every single time.

The people that have not gotten precheck, has a problem in their account. Every single time

Its happened to me before. It didn't show up and I asked at the airport and they said they said it's a random thing. I just renewed mine this year so I'm in year 6 of having it and it hasn't happened in the last 4 years so maybe they stopped doing it or it's not a common thing.
ColoradoMooseHerd
Not common but does happen. That is why you always need to check boarding pass to confirm.
AustinScubaAg
AG
BMX Bandit said:

htxag09 said:

BMX Bandit said:

AustinScubaAg said:

I had precheck for 2 years before not getting it on a flight. It had nothing to do with an account issue.
62strat
AG
htxag09 said:

62strat said:

It's only $15 more. Even if you only travel internationally once with it, well worth the extra $15
Well our upcoming international trip is too close to get GE; it says it takes a few months, where as tsa pre is a few weeks.

In 5 years, I'll go GE. Our kids are too young now to do long international flights, so I don't see many in the next couple years.
62strat
AG
Bluecat_Aggie94 said:

Quote:

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/products/chase.html
JMac03
AG
62strat said:

htxag09 said:

62strat said:

Well our upcoming international trip is too close to get GE; it says it takes a few months, where as tsa pre is a few weeks.

In 5 years, I'll go GE. Our kids are too young now to do long international flights, so I don't see many in the next couple years.
Like someone else said above, I had my GE within 3 weeks max. I know TA probably too late since you already got TSA. But it def doesn't take months. And I had my approval within 30 minutes too.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.