Need recommendations on a location to travel to

2,977 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by sts7049
Tex_Ag_2017
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My wife and I got married a few months ago and want to start planning another trip. We have funds to go on several nice trips while we don't have any kids or other big expenses. We honeymooned in California and have both been to Yellowstone. We don't really care for going to Florida or other gulf states to visit beaches. We are wanting to go somewhere in Western Hemisphere because my wife only likes to be on plane for a few hours. We have never really explored the Northeast besides NYC. Our favorite type of vacation is staying somewhere for 2-3 days and then driving to a new location for another 2-3 days. Some places we have looked at are Hawaii, Portland (both Maine and Oregon), and the Adirondacks. We also looked at Costa Rica some. Does anyone have any suggestions on great places in North America or South America to visit that aren't just sit around and relax vacations? We like adventure type trips or hiking, etc.
BSD
AG
Machu Picchu
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Cape Cod and Costa Rica are good choices as is island hopping in the BVIs
Al Bula
AG
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iguazu_Falls

Visit both the Brazilian and Argentine sides
notheranymore
Another vote for Costa Rica - 2 coasts and a volcano.
dummble
AG
Costa Rica was great, Volcano, cloud forest, Pacific Coast everything you could ask for between adventure and laid backness
AgCanuck07
AG
Alaska. We had an amazing vacation a few years ago and are trying to get back there again.
Post removed:
by user
FancyKetchup14
AG
BSD said:

Machu Picchu

This. I went last December and had an indescribable experience.
ColoradoMooseHerd
Clute, TX
NoahAg
I'll be "that guy" and say think carefully about how to spend these excess funds you have. Think about house, savings/investing, IRA, college fund, etc.

That said, what time of year?

Funnest thing we did in Costa Rica (20 years ago) was a rafting trip (actually 2, but 1 was really good).

I'll add something new and say what about national parks? Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Yosemite, etc.
FancyKetchup14
AG
And I'll be that guy and tell OP tomorrow isn't guranteed. Time is priceless. If you have it, go spend a few grand on a trip you won't forget. Who gives a sh*t if you have to work an extra 6 months than expected. I'd rather be able to travel when I'm young and able bodied than at typical retirement age.

Travel is the one thing you can buy that makes you richer.
HHAG
AG
Kentucky Bourbon Trail. Spend a couple of days in Louisville and then head out to the countryside. Gorgeous country and great libationa.
Tex_Ag_2017
AG
Already thinking about the future. We have a house, contribute to IRAs, 401ks, etc. and we are looking to buy a rent house. Fund aren't the problem but we know that it'll be cheaper to go to nice places now v. playing for 2 or 3 extra people to go somewhere. I think we are going to go to Costa Rica in the summer. Any suggestions for end of December?
FancyKetchup14
AG
You may know this but it's worth repeating: December will be summer in South America, and that's typically the high season for tourist. It's also the wet season.

End of December I'd go to Peru, Panama, or Colombia.
10andBOUNCE
AG
If I were you I would go to these two places in Costa RIca...3 days at each. We've been to both.

Fly into San Jose.
http://www.arenalnayara.com/
White Water Rafting, Zip Line, etc...

Transfer to...
https://www.casachameleonhotels.com/las-catalinas/

Fly out of Liberia.
Spore Ag
One of our best trips was Puerto Monte and Cheloe Chili. Hire a car. Great food, wine and you almost think you are in Germany sometimes.
That said I read Chili is approaching an immigration policy similar to Germany. Mostly Palastinians.
I would still go.
Greatness
AG
check out the corn palace in south dakota it was quite the experience
TXCityAggie
AG
Come here to Guatemala....easy flight from Houston. You can hike volcanoes around Antigua and then visit Lake Atitlan.
BSD
AG
TXCityAggie said:

Come here to Guatemala....easy flight from Houston. You can hike volcanoes around Antigua and then visit Lake Atitlan.

Probably a few hours away from you, but we really enjoyed Tikal a couple of months ago. And I'm glad it was a couple of hours away because that's the day the volcano erupted!
NoahAg
FancyKetchup14 said:

And I'll be that guy and tell OP tomorrow isn't guranteed. Time is priceless. If you have it, go spend a few grand on a trip you won't forget. Who gives a sh*t if you have to work an extra 6 months than expected. I'd rather be able to travel when I'm young and able bodied than at typical retirement age.

Travel is the one thing you can buy that makes you richer.
I agree w/ that too.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
Everything you gave us says Alaska or Hawaii, to me.

My wife and I have done Hawaii twice and your style sounds like mine. My wife enjoys the adventures and variety as well but is also a little more content than I am to have a beach day. Hawaii provides mountains, beaches, hiking, water sports, beauty, nature, variety... you can do whatever you want.

Alaska is similar, but some people are not interested in the weather which is of course cold in the winter and in the summer alternates between utterly gorgeous and dreary (depending on where you are in Alaska.)

I have a hard time deciding which between those two are my favorites.

I've spent less time in the Pac NW but have been in Seattle several times, and done a few things within a short drive of Seattle. I've wanted to do the Olympic Peninsula but just haven't made that happen yet. That might be something you want to check out as well.
TXCityAggie
AG
BSD said:

TXCityAggie said:

Probably a few hours away from you, but we really enjoyed Tikal a couple of months ago. And I'm glad it was a couple of hours away because that's the day the volcano erupted!
Tikal is amazing. Now is a great time to come to Guatemala as there are deals to be had. The volcano eruption scared a lot of visitors away, but it didn't affect the tourist hot spots at all. I was in Antigua last weekend and didn't see near as many foreigners as I typically would at this time of year.
FrontPorchAg
From what I gather you want:

• something casual with good hiking
  • something that's only a few hours flight
  • something, not the beach

Banff, AB
Whistler, BC
Telluride, Co

All three have beautiful mountains with good hiking. All three have a tram or lift access that allows for a more casual way to see the mountains. All three have great restaurants and amenities when you want to relax.

All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others
Tree Hugger
AG
I'm rather partial to the Galapagos.

Macchu Picchu is definitely on my list though for a big trip in the next few years.
Maximus_Meridius
AG
To throw in a different option than has been suggested, my wife and I are about to leave (in a week actually) to head to Maine. Going to spend 3 days in Camden (for her) and then 5 days in Bar Harbor/Acadia (for me/us). Lots of hiking, biking, and even kayaking. If that's not enough adventure, you can head over to White Mountain National Forest (we did last year). There are tons of outdoor activities up here with the added benefit of lower temperatures (but not Alaska). If you're a foodie, Portland's got some pretty good places. And any of the above is a good place to grab a B&B and just chill for a few days if that's your thing.

Banff is a also a favorite of mine.
Post removed:
by user
ryanhnc10
AG
Do a San Fran / Napa / Yosemite trip or a Portland / Seattle / Vancouver trip
Betoisafurry
BVI. Fly into st thomas, take ferry to tortola. Rent a jeep, find a place on vrbo to set up home base. Drive around tortola(no open container laws) and ferry around to the rest of the islands.

Or take a couple friends and rent a catamaran. That's our plan for next time we go.
sts7049
AG
RPM said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iguazu_Falls

Visit both the Brazilian and Argentine sides
great suggestion.

also if you come to argentina, consider el calafate and chalten. chalten has some amazing hiking, one of the most beautiful places i've ever seen.
sts7049
AG
banff is nice, but awful touristy. if you're OK with that it is a pretty place.

last month i went and visited moraine lake and lake louise near banff. moraine was gorgeous, and a lot calmer to visit than louise.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.