Bavarian Alps

1,335 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by SoupNazi2001
Post removed:
by user
SwissAgg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
SoupNazi2001 said:

Anyone ever been? I have a lot of places I want to see like Dachau, Eagle's Nest, some of Ludwig's castles, some hikes and Alpine lakes. Curious of any favorite small villages to base out of for day trips. Mittenwald, Fussen and Garmisch are in the running. I don't want bigger cities so Munich and Salzburg are out.
Dachau is basically a suburb of Munich. Berchtesgaden is where the Eagle's Nest was. I really like the town

quite a bit. It is basically right next to Salzburg. Chiemsee is a region that I like quite a bit. There are two

castles there from the crazy prince, Herrenchiemsee and Frauenchiemsee. You can hike around Berchtesgaden

and Fussen. There is a lake next to Fussen that is quite good. Garmisch is OK, but I didn't find it so special.

I have not been to Mittenwald, but there are mountains there. Probably, there are good hikes.
purplehayes
If you don't want big towns, check out Oberammergau. Really cool little town.
TXTransplant
I liked Garmisch-Partenkirchen. That's where I stayed when I did the Ludwig castles tour (Neuschwanstein, Hohenschwangau, and Herrenchiemsee).
Post removed:
by user
SwissAgg
AG
SoupNazi2001 said:

Thanks how is the food in that region?
Bavaria specializes in pork, duck, and sausages of course.

Schweinsbraten is pork loin with a type of gravy. It tastes really good.

Schweinshaxe is the leg of a pig, that is cooked similarly. The meat is really tender.

Bavarian duck is also a specialty as is bratwurst with sauerkraut.

They also have a type of cole slaw that I really love that has bacon in it.
Martin Cash
AG
Fussen is a nice town. Stayed in a Gasthaus on top of a brewery there. Brau Haus Fussen.
dodger02
AG
Garmish is on the bigger side of "small town". Immenstadt and Sonthofen are good small towns and located convenient to the Alps and castles. Eagle's Nest is a full day trip from there, though.

We did this trip a few years ago to visit family my dad hadn't seen in 50 years. It was special.
et98
AG
I rented a car and drove all over the Bavarian Alps for a couple of weeks back in September of 2013 (and ended up in Munich for Oktoberfest).

I go somewhere in Europe for 1-3 weeks every year, and the Bavarian Alps has been my favorite trip by far. I made this overly detailed post about my trip back in October of 2013 with lots of info and pics that will shed some light on my thoughts of the area.

My top 10 list for anyone visiting the Bavarian Alps:
1. You must go to the Eagle's Nest!!!
2. I absolutely loved Garmisch. It's definitely in my top 2 or 3 European towns that I've ever visited.
3. I also agree with the other posters about the other towns & villages. They're all spectacular in their own way.
4. Dachau, as the poster above said, is basically a suburb of Munich now...but it's definitely a must-see.
5. Visit some monasteries (there are several) & drink lots of their beer everywhere you go.
6. See all of the castles & palaces of Ludwig II.
7. Rent a fast car and drive the Autobahn.
8. A cool but less popular thing to visit is the Partnach Gorge, just outside of Garmisch.
9. Zugspitze should be on your list of things to do.
10. Take a boat ride or hike around 1 or 2 of the many lakes & fjords. Konigsee is a good one near Hitler's Eagle's Nest that you can visit during the same day trip, but there are several others in the Bavarian Alps to choose from, and they're all breathtaking.
Federale01
AG
Just be aware The Eagle's Nest is closed for the winter and early spring months.

I would throw Ettal out there if you are driving around the ammergau area. There is a really awesome monastery there and a great restaurant across the street.

Renting a car and driving around the area is easy and let's you see a lot of the little towns you wouldn't get a chance to if you stuck to the train.
SwissAgg
AG
et98 said:

I rented a car and drove all over the Bavarian Alps for a couple of weeks back in September of 2013 (and ended up in Munich for Oktoberfest).

I go somewhere in Europe for 1-3 weeks every year, and the Bavarian Alps has been my favorite trip by far. I made this overly detailed post about my trip back in October of 2013 with lots of info and pics that will shed some light on my thoughts of the area.

My top 10 list for anyone visiting the Bavarian Alps:
1. You must go to the Eagle's Nest!!!
2. I absolutely loved Garmisch. It's definitely in my top 2 or 3 European towns that I've ever visited.
3. I also agree with the other posters about the other towns & villages. They're all spectacular in their own way.
4. Dachau, as the poster above said, is basically a suburb of Munich now...but it's definitely a must-see.
5. Visit some monasteries (there are several) & drink lots of their beer everywhere you go.
6. See all of the castles & palaces of Ludwig II.
7. Rent a fast car and drive the Autobahn.
8. A cool but less popular thing to visit is the Partnach Gorge, just outside of Garmisch.
9. Zugspitze should be on your list of things to do.
10. Take a boat ride or hike around 1 or 2 of the many lakes & fjords. Konigsee is a good one near Hitler's Eagle's Nest that you can visit during the same day trip, but there are several others in the Bavarian Alps to choose from, and they're all breathtaking.

Knigsee is a cool lake to visit. It was very beautiful.
oldag941
AG
We did a similar trip a few years ago. Flew in and out of Munich. Rented a car, which was easy to drive in both Germany and Austria. We started in Garmisch / Partenkirchen. Two towns with different draws. Take the tram up Zugspitze. Tallest peak in Germany. You can see 3 or 4 countries from the top. Lots of glaciers etc. The 1936 winter olympic stadium is in Partenkirchen and also an awesome hike along the Partnachklamm. Look it up. It's awesome. You follow a small river up a gorge.https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g187302-d8556393-Reviews-Partnachklamm-Garmisch_Partenkirchen_Upper_Bavaria_Bavaria.html

We had friends stationed in Garmish, so stayed with them a few nights, ate locally and used Garmisch as a jumping off point to other day trips.

We then toured Nuschwanstein castle. Easy day trip from Garmisch.

We then headed to Mittenwald. Very cool, small town in the middle of the Alps on the way from Garmisch to Innsbruck. The town is known for hundreds of years of violin making. A great brewery for dinner there too (go figure).

We drove through Innsbruck and Kitzbuhel (I love ski towns) en route to Berchtesgaden. We stayed in Berchtesgaden for 1 or 2 nights. Eagles Nest is there, and I've heard great things about the salt mine tours. We did a boat tour on Konigsee Lake. Maybe one of the most beautiful lakes in the world. Well worth the day.

We ended up in Salzburg, which is a great town for a couple of days. Just outside the Alps but the history and quaintness were awesome.

Then back to Munich.

I would highly recommend a couple of monestaries for beer and food along the way. Augustiner brewery and biergarten in Salzburg. And the Andechs brewery outside Munich.
Post removed:
by user
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.