Layover in Hong Kong.....want to leave the airport...suggestions>?

1,325 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by HeightsAg
busdriver88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The wife and I have a layover from 9pm until 3 pm the next day in Hong Kong on an upcoming trip. Any suggestions? It's not long enough to do much, but I damn sure don't want to spend the night in the airport.

Need some suggestions.....

Thanks
There may not be time to do the job right, but there is always time to do the job over!!
Potcake
AG
I've never been there but if you get tired.
https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/08/06/asia/hong-kong-mcdonalds-sleepers-intl/index.html?r=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F
Ag CPA
AG
It's a hike to the island and the airport is massive, probably get to your hotel around 11 and have to leave the next day by lunch if you try to go in. Disneyland is out towards the airport but sure what else is.
busdriver88
AG
Potcake said:

I've never been there but if you get tired.
https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/08/06/asia/hong-kong-mcdonalds-sleepers-intl/index.html?r=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F
Well, that is an option.

Hopefully plan d or e.

There may not be time to do the job right, but there is always time to do the job over!!
busdriver88
AG
Ag CPA said:

It's a hike to the island and the airport is massive, probably get to your hotel around 11 and have to leave the next day by lunch if you try to go in. Disneyland is out towards the airport but sure what else is.
I am up for that if we could get into a cool part of the city for an early morning.....Just absolutely clueless about this part of the world.....
Spore Ag
Where you heading to? You cannot finagle the airline to put you up?
So your bags are being forwarded and you have a day bag maybe? No bags makes the train easier. Possible jet lag allows early departure into town if you are at a airport hotel.
busdriver88
AG
This is on the return leg from a week in Bali. I figure our bags will be checked. But, now that I think about it, we are on Cathay Pacific to Hong Kong, and then transfer onto American.....not sure if we gotta grab bags for that. But I bet we could stash them somewhere if necessary, and survive on what we carry.
Spore Ag
Sorry thinking you are going not coming. So no jet lag then book in the Tsim sha Tsui area. We used to stay at a Holiday Inn there. The Hong Kong metro has a good website. Try not to jack with bags. Might be best to book your return.
Ag CPA
AG
I wouldn't mess with the Metro with that quick of a turnaround, just cab it and take your luggage with you. Taxi stand at the airport is easy to use and *most* drivers speak English.
busdriver88
AG
Man I appreciate it. But to do what? Where do we need to go? I anticipate grabbing a hotel near the airport that night, and getting up early to head into the city.
Spore Ag
With your time allowance might be best to just walk and explore. Traditionally HK was a shopping and food mecca. Again this is my opinion is take 20 minute Airport Express and see if you can book a return to ensure availability. One day in HK and you can take 6-7 modes of transport. Walk up Hollywood road in HK, bus 225 to Stanley Market which might be a time constraint.
HeightsAg
The must sees in Hong Kong are Victoria's Peak, Lantau Big Buddha, and taking the Star Ferry across the bay from Kowloon and Hong Kong. Google each one and see what interests you. Hotel wise, your best bet is probably Tsim Sha Tsui in Kowloon.

If Big Buddha, take the Ngong Ping gondola as it picks up and drops off right by the airport. Star Ferry ride is something like 15 minutes so easily doable. If on a weekend, there may be a line for Victoria's Peak as it is probably the most popular tourist destination so go early.

The night that you arrive, I'd recommend going to the Ozone Bar at the Ritz Carlton to get a drink. It's the highest bar in the world and has a super cool atomosphere. There are also some night markets in Kowloon if that is your thing. Hope that helps!
Potcake
AG
Damn, now I want to go to HK.
busdriver88
AG
Thanks Everyone! I appreciate it!
JSKolache
AG
That's enough time for a trip up to the Peak, early lunch, and back down.
FHKChE07
AG
Get some Xiao Long Bao at Din Tai Fung. It is amazing there.
busdriver88
AG
My father spent some time in that part of the world when he was in the Air Force. He is telling me I have to have a drink at the Peninsula Hotel.

Still worth it?
IrishTxAggie
AG
Ladies market in Mongkok is a great time killer if you want some trinkets and knock off stuff

For breakfast have a pineapple bun with fresh butter and a milk tea
HeightsAg
busdriver88 said:

My father spent some time in that part of the world when he was in the Air Force. He is telling me I have to have a drink at the Peninsula Hotel.

Still worth it?

The Peninsula Hotel is a icon (fun facts: Japanese used it as their HQ during WW2 and they claim to have the largest Royce Rolls fleet in the world) and afternoon tea there has been long a tradition among the upper class of Hong Kong. It's obviously an option but given that you are there for such a short period of time, I personally feel there are other more unique attractions to see while you are there.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.