Thanksgiving Skiing - Vail or Park City?

981 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by malenurse
Hincemm
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I can book either of these locations (Marriott) for virtually the same price, but wanted the location with the better chance of having their lifts open..anyone have experience/thoughts?
ColoradoMooseHerd
Usually I think Colorado has better snow in November than Utah, but neither is a sure thing.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
I go to Beaver Creek (just a few miles from Vail) every other year for Thanksgiving.

Some year's it's close to fully open. Some year's it's absolutely nothing. Most year's, obviously, it's somewhere in between.

I think it's going to be a crapshoot either way. But I echo the sentiment of favor whichever one has been better that week, historically, and take your chances.
Hincemm
AG
that's part of the rub...kinda have to decide now from an accommodation and travel standpoint.

but fair enough. i'll do what i should have done in the first place.

ask my wife and let her decide
Fairview
AG
Hard call. It's been so bad the last two years. Two years ago Vail delayed and didn't even open until after Thanksgiving. Last year they were open but it was terrible. One or two man made runs. That said three years ago it was really good that week. Like others said, total crapshoot.
Matsui
AG
I'd choose worst case. If nothing is open which town would you rather be in?
Hincemm
AG
Been to neither....so vail?
Fairview
AG
Two years ago we had friends visit us here on Thanksgiving (Vail/BC) and it was pretty much worst case. Vail was closed and BC opened on Thanksgiving Day if I remember correctly. We had snowmobiling scheduled but with no snow we did off-roading in RZR's and it was a blast. It was pretty muddy and they gave us full rain gear.

Vail is also not that far from A-Basin which theoretically should have more snow for some skiing.

I'm not as familiar with Park City.
malenurse
AG
Guaranteed snow for Thanksgiving?

Banff
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But, it's still on the list.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.