Iceland

1,187 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by AGnBCS
AGnBCS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Going in two weeks for 5 days . Staying downtown Reykjavk and rented a car . Besides the normal stops like Blue Lagoon and Golden Circle any other must do things ?
hds
AG
Jokulsarlon lagoon and Diamond Beach
angel_00
AG
We just got back last Friday night after 8 days there. We had an amazing time and did a ton of stuff. Our 2 favorite things were white water rafting and glacier hiking. Prepare your wallet for food prices, it's expensive.
ryanhnc10
AG
If you've got a car, might as well go to Skogafoss. I think the southern and eastern part of Iceland are the prettiest. Jokulsarlon is one of the more unique things you'll ever see
Matsui
AG
Search this forum. There has been excellent threads
With recommendations.
AGnBCS
AG
So the trip was awesome to the point that the 4 days of sunny weather have me convinced that Iceland is the nicest place on the planet (Best Place Ever) thread incoming on gyn board. We did the usual stuff like Blue Lagoon and Golden Circle tour. My highlight was taking a ferry to the Westman Islands and sitting in a bar on Heimaey Island after hiking up Eldfell the volcano that destroyed it in 1973. It was really cool because the local Heimaey Island team was playing Reykjavik in a league match and everyone not there was in this particular bar. We had walked around this little town of 4k for hours wondering where the hell the people were. The whole thing was really eerie until we walked by this bar and saw a bunch of strollers with babies swaddled in them. Babies just laying in strollers outside a bar. Anyway, we walked in drank some beers, ate some lunch and watched these poor folks anguishing as the local boys got pasted 4-0. Every now and then a young mom would walk out to the strollers and return with a brightly redheaded, blue eyed baby and the whole group would focus on the important things for a bit. Overall, I liked that you could hang all day in little communities with real people and see real life from a simpler time. Of course a couple hours later you could hang in the Lebowski bar or go somewhere to see someone famous (Win Butler did a DJ set one night in some dive and we went). The place was weirdly European but at the same time not and I loved that. We ate whale, Puffin and reindeer but missed out on the elusive grand slam by not finding anywhere that served Icelandic Horse. I have travelled a fair bit. I'd say more than some less than others but Iceland spoke to me and tops my list. Can't wait to return.

please forgive any grammar and spelling errors.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.