Couple free days in LA... what to do?

877 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Matsui
The Grinder (99)
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So, we had a vacation planned to go to Yosemite next week. We were going to stay there for several days, then drive down to Anaheim and go to Disney Land for two days before heading back.

Well, obviously we needed to change our plans due to the wildfires in Yosemite area.

Instead of cancelling the entire trip, we are just going to go to LA. We decided to extend our time at the park by a couple of days, but I'd like any suggestions of other things to do.

It will be my wife and I plus our 7 and 9 year old kids. Basically are looking to fill the remainder of the day that we land (we arrive mid morning Saturday) and Sunday before going to the park the last few days.

I've never been to LA, so family friendly sight seeing would be of interest. Also, I'd be interested in a cool beach area to hang out for a bit. Maybe in a beach area and get to hang out on the coast.

TIA
Matsui
AG
Manhattan Beach (explore the shops and walk the strand, grab some lunch etc)
Your kids SHOULD like Santa Monica Pier
Maybe rent some bikes and go up and down the strand
Hollywood Dog Park (not really a dog park) for cool Hollywood sign views and photos

There is a thread on the first page with some LA tips.
Matsui
AG
Another neat beach town, since you are close, is Seal Beach. Get some BBQ, enjoy the beach, walk the shops. It is a quaint area out of the LA hustle and in northern Orange County.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
La Brea Tar Pits are pretty cool. They are in Hollywood, so you could combine some learning with all the Hollywood stuff. The museum was very nice and didn't take too long.
beachfront71
AG

Not sure what your budget is but the Lido House Hotel just opened in Newport.
Park it there a few days and hit the beach .

angel_00
AG
We went with our kids last fall for the UCLA game. Our kids enjoyed Santa Monica Pier and Beach, Griffith Observatory (good view of Hollywood sign too), and the space museum (I think it's called the California Science Center).
Matsui
AG
All excellent ideas.
GrayMatter
AG
Any recommendations for a good breakfast and lunch restaurant near LAX/Science Center?
I Play With Guns
S
I saw where Yosemite is opening back up on Tuesday (08/14), just FYI.....
Matsui
AG
Excellent local breakfast near lax

The coffee connection

It isn't all about coffee at all. I stop all
Of the time before leaving lax. Opens 7 am. Get onlettes or pancakes or some of their home made breads.
Matsui
AG
Holy cow bbq on sepulveda Blvd lunch
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.