Charleston, SC

2,453 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SW AG80
ctownaggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Planning to spend a few days in Charleston before the SC game. Any recommendations of things to do, places to eat, where to stay, etc.?
Wicked Good Ag
Plenty of good choices. What do you like to do? What type of food do you like to eat? Tons of great restaurants
Let us know your type and price point and I can probably give you four or five solid places
ctownaggie
AG
Things we've seen include riding bikes, exploring the historic downtown area, going to the beach, driving out a little bit to one of the islands.

Open to a lot of different types of food; looking to eat some fresh seafood and regional cuisine. Price point would probably be $50-75 for dinners

Thanks in advance for the help!
Wicked Good Ag
Seafood

Peninsula Grill and have some coconut cake afterward.

Fleet's Landing. Probably my favorite because price point is where we like it and you will also

82 Queen for food in the courtyard fits your description and price point. FIG and Husk are a bit above but if you can get a reservation it is worth it. Please don't scrimp on the food in this town

As for activities. Take a walking tour as soon as you can around the historic district area and look at some of the places to eat to familiarize yourself with some menus. Take a ferry to Ft Sumter and drive to one of the plantations
If you like golf the Ocean Course at Kawaii Island is top notch.
Upper King for a window shopping stroll would be good as some decent bars are in the area
Bucketrunner
Hanks for the Seafood a la Wondo. Saffron heaven.
TXAG 05
AG
ctownaggie said:

Things we've seen include riding bikes, exploring the historic downtown area, going to the beach, driving out a little bit to one of the islands.

Open to a lot of different types of food; looking to eat some fresh seafood and regional cuisine. Price point would probably be $50-75 for dinners

Thanks in advance for the help!

$50-75 per person or total? Just got back from Charleston a month ago and loved it. One thing it isn't, is cheap. Spent a bunch of money on meals, but it was worth it. Can't really go wrong there food wise.
poet0715
AG
If me and my wife had to live any place other than Texas, Charleston would definitely be our pick.

We stayed there for 4 nights about a year ago and did not have one bad meal. It definitely won't be the cheapest trip you have had but it will be worth it. Make sure you try some Shrimp and Grits at least once. I ordered at Hanks and it was great.

I completely agree with making a trip to Fort Sumter and getting out of the downtown area for a plantation tour. We made the trip to Magnolia Plantation and it was beautiful.

Also, we did a pub crawl with one of the local outfits and went to several of the historic/haunted bars in the downtown area. A couple from Ole Miss was at the tour with us and couldn't handle their booze. They ended up almost getting arrested for walking down the middle of the street and then being d-bags to the police officers. Freaking amateurs.
OldAg92
AG
Hope you guys don't mind me jumping in. My wife and I have started a tradition of taking an "away from the kids" vacation the week of Thanksgiving each year. I have had Charleston on my radar, but was curious if it is a town that would offer plenty to do for 5-6 days, or if it is better for a weekend visit? Also, is it a "walkable" town, and if so, where is the best area to stay? We are open to hotels as well as VRBO.
Wicked Good Ag
Very walkable. However if you have 5-6 days I would suggest Charleston and Savannah combo being only two hours apart. Both can be done in three to four days

We do the same a trip without kids usually in July while they are at summer camp
Danger Mouse
AG
Halls for steak and also fir gospel brunch on Sunday.
poet0715
AG
It's extremely walkable and we weren't uncomfortable walking around at all. Not many vagrants.
malenurse
AG
Wicked Good Ag said:

Very walkable. However if you have 5-6 days I would suggest Charleston and Savannah combo being only two hours apart. Both can be done in three to four days

We do the same a trip without kids usually in July while they are at summer camp
We did this exact same trip 2 years ago. My only advice.....

Fares are really cheap flying into Atlanta on SW. In hindsight, if I ever have to go to Atlanta again, suicide will be considered.

Spend the extra dollars and fly into either Savannah or Charleston.
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But, it's still on the list.
TXAG 05
AG
malenurse said:

Wicked Good Ag said:

We did this exact same trip 2 years ago. My only advice.....

Fares are really cheap flying into Atlanta on SW. In hindsight, if I ever have to go to Atlanta again, suicide will be considered.

Spend the extra dollars and fly into either Savannah or Charleston.

We flew into Charleston on SW from Houston and it was like $300 a ticket round trip.
Silky Johnston
Is Charleston a good destination for a bachelor party in January?
Wicked Good Ag
It has some solid bars and great food but not sure if I would think bachelor party but honestly never thought about it. There is great golf nearby and some great history
TXAG 05
AG
Wicked Good Ag said:

It has some solid bars and great food but not sure if I would think bachelor party but honestly never thought about it. There is great golf nearby and some great history

This. Charleston is awesome, but for a bachelor party, I'd reccommend Nashville.
Silky Johnston
That's what I figured from some initial research. Groom has already vetoed New Orleans, Vegas, and Nashville. San Diego might be where we end up.
Wicked Good Ag
If you do I think a cool stop in SD would be the Noble Experiment in gaslamp district

I do know Savannah is a brides destination for bachelorette party so why not two hours up the coast for the men
JSKolache
AG
Red's Ice House - sleep in the parking lot & repeat.
La Vernia_Ag06
AG
If you like oysters, Amen Street had a really good selection. Also, Slighty North of Broad, Fleet Landing.
Wicked Good Ag
Heard good things about Amen Street but weren't as impressed with SNOB
TXAG 05
AG
The food at Fleet Landing isn't anything special, but it's cool because it's one of the few, if only restaurants on the water.
AustinCountyAg
Eat at Blossom. Very underrated.
JJWAGGIE
AG
checked above and had not seen 167 Raw mentioned... great little place!
Aggie Farmer
AG
We went a few years ago and stayed in a VRBO in Beaufort. About in the middle of Charleston and Savannah and we did day trips from there. Beaufort is a great town to see lots of old historic homes and just relax. For walking tours check out Twin Sisters tour in Charleston. One of the best we've ever been on.
SW AG80
AG
Going there before the Masters next year. Great thread to keep.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.