Tahiti Honeymoon

1,123 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by SoupNazi2001
Peter Klaven
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy fellow travelers! I am getting married in March (spring break) and the Fiance has her heart set on going to Tahiti and staying in an overwater bungalow. Anyone have any experience doing something like this?

I figure it's probably not price conducive to do an entire trip in an OWB so we'd likely split it and do 3 nights or so on the main island in a nice resort and then 3 nights in the OWB on Bora Bora. I'm aware that we'd need a seaplane to ferry us back and forth to Bora Bora but I'm not sure how easy/pricey it is to book that.

Also, I'm trying to knock out as much of this trip using Chase UR points (250Kish points through Chase Sapphire Reserve) as I can so that factors in as well. Anyone have any additional insight as well as any other credit cards I should look into over the next few months? Appreciate any help/anecdotes I can get!
Post removed:
by user
Potcake
AG
We stayed in some overwater bungalows on Raiatea before a 7 day Moorings cruise. Spent four days on the back end at Hilton Moorea Lagoon Resort & Spa in a beachside bungalow, beach on front, water on back. They also have overwaters also. You don't have to do the AI, there are restaurants on site and locally.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Completely irrelevant to your post, but get your wife a hat when you're in Tahiti because "Tahiti hat" is a palindrome.
Peter Klaven
AG
Holy smokes how did I not realize the palindrome?! Thanks for the response guys everything helps!
OasisMan
AG
We did our honeymoon in '07

ATX to LA to Tahiti
Stayed overnight then went to Moorea to the Pearl Resort, beach bungalow, 4 nights

Then to Vahine -- a private island off of Ta'haa - 4 nights

Then to Bora Bora, Pearl Resort, 3 nights

Moorea was our favorite - island is amazing
Vahine was incredible, a small island practically to yourself
Bora Bora we did the overwater bungalow
ForeverAg
AG
Cant comment on the stay (though this is where I will be honeymooning) but United is also starting flights there with their 787 from SFO starting November 1st of this year.
Silky Johnston
https://millionmilesecrets.com/guides/award-flights-to-tahiti/
https://millionmilesecrets.com/guides/award-flight-to-tahiti/

Looks like you could transfer some Chase points to United and try for the flight the poster above me mentions. Air France is also a transfer partner and the second link outlines how to use those points to book a flight.
stardustag
AG
OP: not all over the water bungalows are created equal... so you can get decent deals if you really look hard. Also, check out Moorea... which is a smaller island right off Tahiti, which has very nice OWB... which is reachable by ferry that takes like 30 minutes or so and is a lot more affordable. I think in general Bora Bora would be more pricy than Tahiti/Moorea.

Wife and I went and stayed on a OWB in Tahiti a couple of years ago by taking advantage of a Air Tahiti travel deal. They have regular vacation packages through that airline all the time, but they have sales sometimes too making it even more affordable. When we went... we were there for 5 nights if i remember correctly and it only costed us ~$300 US per night, which really isn't that bad.

https://www.airtahitinui.com/us-en/tahiti-vacations

Another thing you can do is sign up for one of the major Hotel Chain credit cards that has sign-up bonus for a couple of free hotel nights... and use them for this purpose... most of the sign-up bonus free nights don't have restriction of hotel levels.

Peter Klaven
AG
I had seen the United flights. Initially I dismissed it as the point value of the flights would be quite a bit higher. That being said, the Air Tahiti flights seem to have pretty mixed reviews so the dreamliner might be worth paying a premium for.

Regarding Moorea vs Bora Bora, it seems like BB is geared a little more toward relaxation and water centric activity whereas Moorea has a little more varied terrain and offers more in the way of activities.

Our best bet may be to start in BB and relax from a long flight wedding etc and then move over to Moorea and "do" a little more before heading back. Still a lot to figure out!
Potcake
AG
Yea, that's why it's also known as Boring Boring.
We were on a boat in the lagoon so weren't stuck on land. Don't miss Bloody Mary's though and make sure you flush after peeing there.
Post removed:
by user
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.