Glacier Bay National Park

1,264 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BSD
BSD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think I'm going to head up to Alaska for the first time next summer and I am looking at a few days at Glacier Bay. My son will be 10 at the time and the plan is to take the day cruise, hike and kayak. Are three full days enough time there to relax and enjoy? Anyone have any recs/suggs?
nonameag99
I am no help on glacier bay but Alaska is awesome

just got back last week

We flew into anchorage and did a day glacier cruise out of whittier in PW sound

It was awesome

Madmarttigan
AG
The day cruise was probably the highlight of our trip. Just so you are aware there is basically one lodge and Gustavus has nothing in it. I think you probably only need 2 or 3 days since I'm not sure you can hike/kayak from the lodge to anything too amazing compared to what you will see on the boat. Be prepared for a pretty steady drizzle while you are there. Best to hope for is generally an overcast day seems like.

We stayed in Juneau and took a day trip there for the boat tour and it was definitely worth it. We also did a kayak/hike trip for the mendenhall glacier in Juneau and it was really beautiful/fun.
Formerly tv1113
Pro Sandy
AG
I don't have much advise because I went to Glacier Bay 10 years ago on a ccruise, but you'll have a great time.

Our cruise ship entered the park in the early morning and took on two park rangers who gave commentary. It was absolutely amazing to watch the glaciers calving. One glacier we sat at for 1 hour watching it calf constantly. The ranger said he had never seen it so active.

Animal side, we saw humpback whales, sea otters, and dolphins.

malenurse
AG
Lots of good Alaska threads in this forum. Was there in 2013. Didn't go to Glacier Bay but did a day cruise out of Homer and into Kenai Fjords NP.

Train from Anchorage to Fairbanks thru Denali.

A must do is glacier flights out of Talkeetna onto Mt McKinley

Edit: just saw the 3 days in your post, not nearly enough time to do what I recommend
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But, it's still on the list.
BSD
AG
Yeah, we are just hitting the Glacier Bay area and not heading further north. I'm thinking we'll do a helicopter ride to the top of a glacier and do a dog sled as well (out of a Juneau stopover)
BSD
AG
Just booked the trip. We'll have two full days at Glacier Bay National Park for hiking, kayaking, and the boat tour. We'll also have plenty of time in Juneau, about two days. One excursion will be a helicopter ride up to the glacier. Any other ideas for a family with an adventurous 9 yr old?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.