Los Angeles area things with a HS senior in tow?

1,307 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Matsui
RenoAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Seen quite a bit of Dan Diego threads but surprisingly little Los Angeles area discussion. Maybe everyone does the same things there and there is nothing to discuss? We're going for a week shortly after Christmas. We'll be there over New Year's.

Yes I'm sure we will hit 3 days of Universal Studios, Disneyland and Disney California. I've suggested Knott's Berry Farm or Six Flags but she thinks she'll be "all theme parked out" after the other 3. So I'm also looking for some other things to do. I'm thinking a place like Manny's bike shop in Compton would be a pretty cool visit. This place:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mannys-Bike-Shop/162298867127123

And then going to this place in Burbank to check out some vintage clothing (recommended in another Texags thread):

http://www.itsawraphollywood.com/

I'll have to do some searching for their Arts scene to see if there are an shows going on at that time.

Any other local things anyone recommends? Any local restaurants - cheap or otherwise - but has good food? I'm sure we'll hit an In-N-Out once while we're there. Not that it is spectacular, but we just have to do it.
ORAggieFan
At that age, Magic Mountain would be my #1 pick for amusement parks.

Hollywood and Beverly Hills be good. Probably Santa Monica Pier.
Smokin Chisel
AG
Sorry just realized you were going in the winter so this recommendation will not be helpful. However if you ever go in the summer and have any interest in surfing, we used these guys for a lesson last summer in the Orange County beach area and they were great! https://learntosurfhb.com/
SW AG80
AG
Go to Rodeo Drive. No telling who you might see. Lots of window shopping. Jump in to some places you have heard of.
Matsui
AG
Rodeo drive
Beverly Hills sign
Santa Monica pier
Griffith Park
Do a hike - Runyon canyon famous hike
Universal studios
Lake Hollywood dog park for close by Hollywood sign photos
I'd avoid Hollywood blvd

I live here in la. Those are the most popular things to do.
Matsui
AG
Where will you be staying and will
You have a car. La is a melting pot of cultures. There is outstanding food all over the area. I can recommend some "classic" la type joints for food depending on your location.
Bulldog73
AG
Didi Reece for an afternoon snack. I also can't recommend Fathers Office burgers enough. It's a gastropub. Santa Monica pier is cool for an afternoon too.
DallasAg 94
If you do Universal, it is different from the one in Orlando, at least the last time I went.

They have the amusement park, but they also have the tram and tour of the lot.

We did the VIP tour about 15 years ago. It was the same type tram, but only it was a trolly car with like 15-20 people. They had more liberty on where they could go and you didn't feel like a herd. We were able to get out and take pictures near famous studio scenes. For example, the courtyard for Back to the Future... we were able to get out there.

It also comes with a "flash pass" of sorts where you don't have to wait in line. The guide actually walked us up to the front (by passing even the 'flash pass' people) for 1 ride at each ride.

You will also want to hit the beach. The water is freezing cold, but fun once you get used to it.

We didn't do Disney because I grew up going there and neglect my kids. Waiting hours in line is not appealing. We did Knotts, which I always enjoyed as a kid. The lines were very reasonable.

It used to be you could go to the taping of certain shows, in Beverly Hills/Burbank. You have to get there early and wait in line, but if that is your thing...

My sister and I saw "Beauty and the Beast" at the Shubert Theater. The father of Belle was Tom Bosley, of Happy Days fame.

Sunset Blvd at night.

I loved California when we lived there, but don't miss it.
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94 said:

My sister and I saw "Beauty and the Beast" at the Shubert Theater. The father of Belle was Tom Bosley, of Happy Days fame.
Apparently the Shubert no longer exists.
stardustag
AG
Op: if you guys are into fine arts... or just good scenery, you can try going to The Getty. It's an art museum, also has a neat garden/landscape... neat architecture... with some good scenery/view at certain spot of the garden/buidling.
Aggie
AG
Did rodeo drive and Santa Monica pier last September.
Both extremely extremely underwhelming.
Felt like a huge waste of time.

Matsui
AG
I do agree but I'm trying to appease a teenager.
Matsui
AG
The Getty is free. Have a nice spot for lunch there on site and have an ocean view.

Could stroll them thru Venice beach and see the nuts selling stuff. Could check out the skate pools and beach workout folks there.
RenoAg
Matsui said:

I do agree but I'm trying to appease a teenager.

My daughter, while a "normal" teenager who prizes sleeping in above almost everything else, is somewhat precocious and a very slight bit of an old soul. Not the typical kid. Hates the beach for example. Getty museum probably an excellent suggestion. I'll need to research that place online.
RenoAg
Matsui said:

Where will you be staying and will
You have a car. La is a melting pot of cultures. There is outstanding food all over the area. I can recommend some "classic" la type joints for food depending on your location.

I'm sure we'll have a car. We'll likely stay in Marriott properties. I'm platinum elite status due to extensive work travel. The benefits are nice and I try to remain fairly loyal to continue to earn them. We can move around some if necessary. Probably will actually. Marriott has properties everywhere in the LA area considering all the brands available. So any great local food options will be appreciated. We're willing to drive. We hate eating at chain restaurants when on vacation. Getting something different and local for food is half the fun when on the road.
Matsui
AG
Use the gdy Corp code for cheaper rates on Marriott.com.

Another foodie spot is the grand central market downtown. Tomorrow I'll list some spots in various points all over.
twk
AG
Aggie said:

Did rodeo drive and Santa Monica pier last September.
Both extremely extremely underwhelming.
Felt like a huge waste of time.

I drove through Beverly Hills, but didn't spend any time there. The two times I went to LA, I went to Santa Monica pier. Both times, I went in the morning, parked right on the pier, and spent about 90 minutes-2 hours looking around. As someone who lives a long way from the ocean, I enjoyed it. I also enjoyed driving from Santa Monica up the PCH to Malibu and eating at Dukes. Makes for a nice day outing.
Matsui
AG
I'm thinking of places where teenagers would enjoy and parents would have plenty of things to see as well

Grand Central Market - food hall (downtown)
Phillipe the Original - where the french dip started (Chinatown)
Forma Italian - (Santa Monica)
Eataly Italian Marketplace - extensive Italian shopping and food choices (Beverly Hills) eat at restaurant on top for great views
Lemonade - think of California lunch type place (Various locations)
Jon & Vinnys - (Fairfax district)
Mariscos Jalisco - named best taco in America (Boyle Heights)
Cielito Lindo - famous spot for taquitos in green sauce (Chinatown)
E.P. & L.P. - rooftop dining and cocktails go early since you have a under 21 person (Melrose District)
Sqirl - named a top new restaurant hipster haven (Silverlake)
Hemet - another unique spot very LA (Silverlake)

Other -
Abbot Kinney Blvd - was named the coolest street in America 2 years ago by GQ. Venice is being transformed from a gang infested area, to an area with new tech money. That street has a lot of shops, restaurants, bars etc. Also could walk thru the Venice Canals while there

Traffic - assume, at ANY TIME during the day or night, 20 miles = 1 hour of door to door time. And never assume there is a parking lot. Be prepared to look for street parking at all locations.

LA has outstanding food at every price point and food type. I can direct it further depending on where you are staying each night so maybe you could walk to a place.

Downtown at JW Marriott is a great location and has a lot going on.
Manhattan Beach Marriott - great west side location to check out Manhattan and Hermosa Beach. Use their bikes to get around. Also tons of eating options nearby
numerous Marriott properties in Century City and Beverly Hills, which is more central location
Matsui
AG
Just remember la is gritty is what I tell visitors. It isn't all glitz and glam for sure.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.