Breckenridge vs. Beaver Creek

13,154 Views | 82 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by The Lost
JustPanda
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just checked epic mix and it was a 50,000 vertical dr average.

How do I post pictures?
JustPanda
AG
Here you go:

As you can see from the days around it, we basically run right at 50,000 Vft per day, and that's not even really straight lining.

The down day was a day I gave a 1/2 day lesson. Only got on the real mountain from about 1:15-4:00.

If you're a former ski instructor, I'd expect you could get 40,000 vertical in easy. It's not hard...

Plus, the last run never counts because you don't pass the sensor until the next morning. So, it's always a run under what you really posted that day.

Here are some more:

[URL=.html][/URL]

[URL=.html][/URL]

[URL=.html][/URL]

[URL=.html][/URL]

If you can keep up, we should play follow the leader one day when the snow is good.
Phat32
JustPanda
AG
30 chair lifts a day is roughly 4 lifts an hour. If you figure a lift is roughly 8 minutes, that's 32 minutes/hour on chairs and 28 minutes/hour on runs.

So I was correct in surmising we spend more time on lifts than on the mountain.

I'd never done the math, but that's crazy.
NoahAg
I like how this thread has become a first-world pissing contest.
62strat
AG
fire09 said:

Jimbo Fisherman said:

I need to look at my Epicmix, but that sounds about right. The Vertical ft is a way low.

iIRc, we Averaged around 60,000ft/day+. Advantage of being on the mountain. So, prob closer to 2 million.

We spend more time on chairs than on runs.

Favorite run is Birds of Prey down past Spruce Saddle to centennial and the. Centennial to 1876. That and Larkspur 10x. Great vert and quick/open runs.

There is no way you ski 60k ft+ of vertical in a day, That is complete BS. Post a screenshot of your epicmix. I am a former ski instructor, in good shape, and can run the mountain nonstop from open to close and barely squeak 40k vert skiing bombers.
I did 30kft my first time back on the mountain after like 8 years, and left by 2pm, so 50kft is surely doable, as shown above.

But, also as shown above, Fisherman didn't average 60kft. Looks like you average about 45k-47k. Your highest posted is 50k.
Do you know what 'average' means?

lil99chris
AG
We returned last night after a week at Breck with the kids (10, 8, & 6). Weather was magnificent (compared to Houston) and everyone had a fun time. A few bits of feedback...

- Make sure the Gold Run Coaster is operating at EPIC Discovery if you decide to go. They closed the ride down the day we went and gave us a 15% discount. If you plan on doing the zip line, buy the pass early.

- If you are going to go horseback riding, I highly recommend Platte Ranch (http://www.285mountainguide.com/guide/activities/platte_ranch.html). If you are staying at a Grand Vacations resort, they will get you a discount.

- We hiked the McCullough Gulch trail. It was a good hike for the kids and the view is nice.

- If you go to Crepes A La Carte, be sure to use the one attached to the grocery store. We have used it the past few times and we are in and out in less than 10 minutes.

- If you are staying at a resort on peak 7 or 8, do not use the shuttle. It took them 50 minutes to pick us up after calling. Parking is cheap in town and free after 8pm.
JustPanda
AG
Those aren't all of the days I skied. I'm not going to post screenshots that have my personal information on them, and most of the 55-62k days have some identifying marker on them.
62strat
AG
lil99chris said:

- If you are staying at a resort on peak 7 or 8, do not use the shuttle. It took them 50 minutes to pick us up after calling. Parking is cheap in town and free after 8pm.
Did you take a town shuttle? The 3-4 large resorts on peak 7/8 have dedicated, private shuttles. I've never waited more than 5-10 minutes for them.

Also, from those peaks, you can take the gondola (10am-6pm)
dodger02
AG
Well, we booked our Christmas/New Years week in Breck. Staying in a condo at the base of Peak 9 with several thousand other out-of-towners.

This should be fun...
RachAg2007
AG
I live in Steamboat so I'm not sure if it's the same for Breck- but Christmas Day is one of the best days to ski early! There's hardly anyone on the mountain until about 11. Same for New Year's Day- a lot of people are hungover in the morning.
lil99chris
AG
62strat said:

lil99chris said:

Did you take a town shuttle? The 3-4 large resorts on peak 7/8 have dedicated, private shuttles. I've never waited more than 5-10 minutes for them.

We took the private shuttles that are dedicated to those resorts. We spoke with a couple that were waiting with us and they had the same issue. We have used the shuttles at Grand Timber Lodge in previous years and never had this issue.

In regards to the Gondola, we often travel into town for dinner....so that is not an option.
62strat
AG
lil99chris said:

62strat said:

lil99chris said:

We took the private shuttles that are dedicated to those resorts. We spoke with a couple that were waiting with us and they had the same issue. We have used the shuttles at Grand Timber Lodge in previous years and never had this issue.

In regards to the Gondola, we often travel into town for dinner....so that is not an option.
Huh, well chalk it up to bad luck. Your experience was an exception, not the norm. We've used the Grand Lodge shuttle a few dozen times, and never wait long.
The Lost
RachAg2007 said:

I live in Steamboat so I'm not sure if it's the same for Breck- but Christmas Day is one of the best days to ski early! There's hardly anyone on the mountain until about 11. Same for New Year's Day- a lot of people are hungover in the morning.
New years eve at keystone last year was a solid day, the meh snow may have helped, but most seemed to be getting ready to celebrate rather than ski. Plus then i was tired for new years day and it was easy to lay around and watch football all day.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.