Breckenridge vs. Beaver Creek

13,035 Views | 82 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by The Lost
hudson96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We just booked flight to Colorado leaving on the 15th of August. It will be me, my husband, and 3 kids (12,12 &9). We are going to finish the trip in Colorado Springs the last 3 nights (meeting my parents); however, we are trying to decide between breckenridge or beaver creek the first part of the vacation. I was told to go to beaver creek. I know nothing about it but have been to breck several times to ski. Any thoughts on one vs. the other? Also not opposed to the parks (RMNP & Estes) as well but know nothing about where to stay around the area.
FriscoAggieFan
AG
Me, my wife and 2 boys (16 & 19) just spent at week at One Ski Hill in Breck. Never been to Beaver Creek but it would have to be absolutely amazing to beat the week we had in Breck. It was awesome.
Jock 07
AG
Beaver Creek is so much better during ski season, don't know if that translates to the summer though.
jammer262
There is more to do in the town of Breckinridge, than at the base of BC. It's only 30 mins or so between the two. The lodging at BC is a little more posh (read expensive), many more options in the Breckenridge area. I love them both though, and either way you guys will have a blast.
chick79
AG
I've been to both in the summer. I prefer Breckinridge. Beaver Creek is very nice but a little uppity for me. Breckinridge is more laid back to me and I think there is more to do. Closer to Denver and Colorado Springs too.
Mustang1
AG
FriscoAggieFan said:

Me, my wife and 2 boys (16 & 19) just spent at week at One Ski Hill in Breck. Never been to Beaver Creek but it would have to be absolutely amazing to beat the week we had in Breck. It was awesome.
One Ski Hill is very nice (and pricey) but I had a hard time sleeping with the elevation.
RustyBV
AG
We're trying to decide between Breck and Steamboat for a last minute August trip. I'm leaning to towards Breck and staying intown: walking distance to the free Breck-Connect gondola up to Peak 8. That way we won't have to load 3 kids into a car all week unless we leave town on an excursion.
62strat
AG
Breck is 2000' higher than beaver creek, so consider that. My parents (late 60s) visited last fall, and my it was pretty rough on my dad for the first time (they come here every year for almost a decade now)

They are an hour apart (not 30 minutes as stated above), and breck is close to dillon/frisco if you're looking for a change of scenery.

your kids' ages are perfect for peak 8 @ breck.. a bit pricey, but it will keep them occupied all day. I'm not sure if beaver creek has a similar set up as peak 8.

Mustang1
AG
rusty v said:

We're trying to decide between Breck and Steamboat for a last minute August trip. I'm leaning to towards Breck and staying intown: walking distance to the free Breck-Connect gondola up to Peak 8. That way we won't have to load 3 kids into a car all week unless we leave town on an excursion.
We just got back from the Steamboat Sheraton. Great location. Steamboat has much warmer temps than Breck.
JustPanda
AG
Breckenfridge gets its name because it's a terrible ski hill hence why it's all tourists and no locals. Locals go to a basin vail or BC.

BC is great during the summer: la vista with piano, maya overlooking the eagle river, Minturn country club and farmers market, and vail 15 minutes away.

Break is a tourist trap.

BC village has games for the kids, and the Park Hyatt has yard games and a fire pit unless you go to the bachelors gulch ritz for dinner or drinks and
S'mores.

Finally, you have village transportation so you never have to load up a car seat u less you're going into town.

We live in BC half the year and avoid breck like the plague.
62strat
AG
Interesting perspective; We go to our timeshare in Breck 4-5 times a year, and I'd say 75% of the people we meet are from the front range.

hudson96
AG
Thanks for all your great responses! I'm still confused on which one to choose though! Breckenridge is a cute town with a lot of choices as far as restaurants/bars, but I've heard Beaver Creek is picturesque and very relaxing. My husband travels a lot and we just want to relax, get out of the Texas heat, do outdoor activities with the kids, and relax more! I'm sure both are great; I just got an earful from my brother that we needed to go to BC.
10andBOUNCE
AG
We love Breck. We live in COS and spend a fair amount of time there. Almost went in on a timeshare there this last spring but somehow resisted.

Just my perspective but what are you gaining by choosing Beaver with a young family? Just seems like less options in general. But you'll have a great time either place.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
I spend a lot of time in Beaver Creek, but with kids, we end up traveling around the area more and spending only a little time in BC with them. BC was built for the wealthy, so it's small, expensive, and kid friendly but not catered to kids.

(and we go because of a time share my wife's family has, not because we are particularly wealthy).

I'd recommend Breckenridge, which is still very nice but has far more family friendly activities built in nearby.

If you do end up in BC, you'll probably want to do a few short day trips. We typically spend a day in Glenwood Springs, drive up to Leadville and have lunch in the saloon, and usually spend some time in Vail village.
WhoHe
AG
In my opinion, Breckinridge tends to be more kid friendly than Beaver Creek. With that said, I've only been to BC to ski so I can't speak specifically about the summer experience there.
hudson96
AG
Thanks for the recent responses. I spent all last night researching condos in beaver creek but am now leaning toward breckenridge after reading so many responses. I'll still take more if you want to share though, as nothing has been booked yet. Leave it to texags for some good advice!
WestAustinAg
AG
Don't do ski towns for summer vacation. You get a very muted set of things to do. Go to somewhere near the national park (RMNP) and enjoy some hiking. Kids love it. Fishing, hiking, etc.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Breckenridge is super high altitude. Nice place, I prefer other locations. Stayed in Bachelor Gulch this time (thanks, Marriott points!) which is a fantastic property but with fewer on site amenities compared to BC village and especially compared to Vail. Still, the hotel itself is beautiful and lots to do. Current fire ban means that the big fire pit is shut down and no evening smores. BC bus service means we just pick up the phone, tell them where we're going, and a nice bus showed up within a few minutes. No driving, no car seats, no hassle.

The top of Vail mountain has an alpine coaster and all sorts of other activities that kids will like. It's pricey to get up there (I think $39/person for a day pass on the gondola) and they offer day passes (also expensive, like $100). The town itself is pretty cool.
hudson96
AG
Any suggestions on best locations to stay around RMNP?
Sooner Born
WestAustinAg said:

Don't do ski towns for summer vacation. You get a very muted set of things to do. Go to somewhere near the national park (RMNP) and enjoy some hiking. Kids love it. Fishing, hiking, etc.

The RMNP is awesome but just curious what you consider so muted about a ski town like Breck or Vail?
62strat
AG
Sooner Born said:

WestAustinAg said:

The RMNP is awesome but just curious what you consider so muted about a ski town like Breck or Vail?
I don't understand that comment either. Ski towns are a great home base for all summer stuff.. fishing, hiking, white water rafting, biking.. on and on. Much better than staying in Denver, and no further from that stuff than staying in RMNP.

The Lost
62strat said:

Sooner Born said:

WestAustinAg said:

I don't understand that comment either. Ski towns are a great home base for all summer stuff.. fishing, hiking, white water rafting, biking.. on and on. Much better than staying in Denver, and no further from that stuff than staying in RMNP.

Yeah, rmnp is awesome, but more limited on things to do/places to stay/over crowded.

For a family needing lots of options and wanting to relax, a resort would be better.
Jock 07
AG
the only time I would avoid a ski town would be during mud season.
62strat
AG
Jock 07 said:

the only time I would avoid a ski town would be during mud season.
Or xmas/nye week hah. Ain't nobody got time fo dat!
Fairview
AG
I live right by Beaver Creek and it's our go to mountain for skiing. For what you said during summer if you have to choose between BC and Breck I'd do Breck.

If you are are willing to split the difference my first choice would be Vail. They amped up the summer offerings there considerably in the last two years and in my opinion is the best around for on mountain activities.

Tons of great hotels in Vail (My picks are the Arabelle or Sonnenalp) and you could do an easy day trip to Breck. You can also do a day trip to Glenwood Springs and go to the adventure park and hot springs.

You really can't lose with any of your options.
hudson96
AG
So I just stumbled across a condo at One Ski Hill for a reasonable rate that may be hard to pass up; however, the person I'm speaking with asked it I was aware of construction around it? Did you notice it much and if so did it bother you and your family?
62strat
AG
hudson96 said:

So I just stumbled across a condo at One Ski Hill for a reasonable rate that may be hard to pass up; however, the person I'm speaking with asked it I was aware of construction around it? Did you notice it much and if so did it bother you and your family?
Peak 8 is kind of a mess. The owners of grand lodge are not only finishing the grand colorado right now on peak 8, but they recently started a new development right next to it, even closer to one ski hill and the gondola, so there are cranes and a huge hole in the ground of plenty of construction noise. Plus they (I think Breck) is removing the ticket window area right there. All in all, if you're doing the fun day activities on peak 8, you feel like you are kind of in the middle of the construction. If your room faces north, you'll definitely hear it and that will be your view.

It's not a deal breaker, but something to be aware of.

https://www.grandcoloradoonpeak8.com/construction-information-and-alternate-route/

First picture shows the proximity of the new development (lower left) to the summer fun area (basically everything is set up where all the people are standing). One ski hill is largest building left of center. (this is last winter) I think the smaller building in front odd roof is the ticket area which is heavily under construction as well.

Second picture shows what the construction looks like now, again you see one ski hill behind elevator shafts on right.

jetch17
AG
We did a week in BC in July with the family and had a great time, with daytrips over to Breckenridge, Vail & Eagle.

The kids loved Peak 8 for the day and we love the town of Breckenridge anyway, just happened to find a nice house in BC. Breckenridge is much more crowded and busy than the village in BC, much quieter and laid back.

as mentioned, the town shuttle in Beaver Creek was nice anywhere you needed to go. theres a great Lake/paddleboats/park in Avon with some big play structures.
hudson96
AG
Thank you so much for this info! After reading this, rearching, and inquiring about the condo, it's unfortunately not going to work for us. No wonder the rates were reasonable. Back to square one!
62strat
AG
If you can find a deal at crystal peak lodge or grand lodge on peak 7, those are another 1/2 mile or so north and more secluded. This construction is out of site and won't bother you over there.
But you can still hop on the gondola and get to peak 8 for all the activities, or to town.

I have a friends/family offer right now for Grand Lodge, $79/nt, and comes with buy one get one free discovery fun park pass.
Book by 7/31/2018. Stay by 11/9/2018.
A tour would be required, takes 90-120 min usually.

Let me know if that interests you. That is easily several hundred dollars of savings if you're willing to do timeshare tour. It's a really nice 5 star resort that I've sold nights to texagers in the past. I can check dates for you as well if you're on the fence.
hudson96
AG
Thank you for the advice and offer. We ended up renting at Crystal Peak.' It was a tough decision between renting up on peak 7 or a condo closer to town in warriors mark with a river view. Hope we enjoy the quiet of being away from everything. Is that epic discovery worthwhile?i have read good and bad.
jetch17
AG
Kinda pricey, we did the unlimited pass with our 8 & 5 year old ... but had a great time and spent pretty much all day up there. I could ride the chairlift/alpine slide/rollercoaster all day.

There's a big snow pile they maintain and stuff for smaller kids too.

If you zoom in here, you can see the construction that 62strat noted down at the lower Peak 8 village ... wasn't an issue for visiting.

fire09
AG
Lots of very strange comments on this thread. Probably the biggest one to address is that beaver creek is in no way a better mountain to ski on than breck at any skill level. The crowds can be avoided if you ski on weekdays, but breck is no worse than the other front range spots. Locals that are serious skiers follow the hills that get the dumps that week and deal with the crowds.
Phat32
AG
WestAustinAg said:

Worst advice on this thread.
FriscoAggieFan
AG
Our room looked out over the snow hill. The construction didn't bother us at all. They don't start super early and they seemed to finish for the day fairly early. You will have a blast regardless where you stay. Just be cognizant of the altitude and the effects of the sun. Run those humidifiers non stop.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.