San Diego - Gas Lamp

2,579 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by DallasAg2
agchino
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Any recommendations for restaurants and/or Bars in the Gas Lamp district of San Diego?

I know there is a lot of good stuff, just trying to narrow it down a little.
Wicked Good Ag
We went in Jan and had the kids but one night we had a baby sitter. Went to a place with an underground bar that was really kinda cool called the NOBLE EXPERIMENT
Now the restaurant above it was just so so in my opinion but the bar was fun. Pricey on certain drinks however.
We are mainly in the little Italy and old town area during our trip.
Jimmy Valentine
Cafe Sevilla is very good if you like Spanish Tapas.
beachfront71
AG
Barbusa and prep kitchen..really almost anything in little Italy is fantastic..
Potcake
AG
Barleymash is a really good sports bar and the food was good also. The Field is a good Irish Pub. Lou & Micky's is really good for steak or seafood. Petco field not too far away if you want to catch a game.
ORAggieFan
Volcano Rabbit is great and fairly cheap
Rustic Root
Noble Experiment

Most of the great restaurants are in Little Italy:
Ironside for seafood
Barbusa for Italian
Herb and Wood for greatness all around
SW AG80
AG
Thanks for the Italian recs.
Wicked Good Ag
As for Italian recs we moved bencatto which I think was little Italy but may be mistaken on location but thought it was very good
Kids really behaved for a change which made experience more memorable but food was really good
Ag CPA
AG
The rooftop bar at the Marriott looks down on Petco, have clear view of the game if the Padres are in town.
SW AG80
AG
We were in San Diego in May and ate at an Italian place called Piacera Mio. It is a neighborhood place south--I think--of Balboa Park. It was REALLY good. Hard to understand the waitress because her Italian accent was so strong. Don't remember the name of the neighborhood. Pretty reasonable, too.

Just looked it up. Neighborhood is South Park. They have a second location somewhere in SD.
LeftyHound
AG
Rustic Root has some great people watching on nights later in the week .

Sushi Bang Bang is my favorite place to eat.
Garrelli 5000
AG
Just outside of the gaslamp is Monkey Paw Brewing

Great cheesesteaks and beer. It's not fancy at all, but is very cool.

Ripcurrent Brewing tasting house is further out, but badass beer. There's an onsite restaurant that shares space.
Take the trash out staff.
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
Seer sucker is legit
MrMiyAggie
AG
Monkey Paw is good
Seer Sucker IS legit
The Hopping Pig had a great fish taco

All Have great craft beer
dcAg
All of the Irish bars are fun. Barleymash is a great place to hang out.
HouseDivided06
AG
When I was there for a conference, we ate at Tin Fish for the fish tacos a couple times at lunch and enjoyed it. For dinner I THINK we went to Lou and Mickey's one night and The Oceanaire the second night. Both were good.
agchino
AG
Post visit report:

Rustic Root was good, but only go upstairs if you are young and hip. The menu upstairs was really small appetizers only, would have just stayed downstairs if we did it over again.

Taka for sushi was good

We had breakfast/brunch at Werewolf and that was awesome, seemed like it could be a fun place in the evenings as well.

Only thing in Little Italy we had time to get to was the Ballast Point Tasting room, which was good, we walked past alot of the restaurants like Barbosa and they all looked like really cool vibes.

Going back I think we would try to find something closer to Little Italy to stay. Gaslamp was a little more like 6th street to me (everybody is there just to get trashed and party).
aggiedata
AG
I used this post to organize dinners last week around San Diego. Here are my highlights:

Jake's Del Mar: We have been there before and it just doesn't disappoint. One of our top 5 restaurants for sure. Food, service, view, vibe. Suggestions: Calamari, Surfin' Cowboy (Sirloin & Shrimp), Scallops, Hula Pie, Merry Edwards Pinot Noir.

Ballast Point Miramar: Their flagship location and they spent millions on it. Located in a warehouse district, it is a working brewery for sure. Restaurant is very good, Guacamole is superb, fish tacos, salmon, short ribs. One of our favorite beers too. Really a nice outdoor place in back for happy hour.

Rustic Root: Fantastic brunch and Bloody Mary's. We went twice.

Barbusa: Loved it, got the suggestion here. Homemade pasta, added the Sicilian meat balls. fantastic! Salmon was awesome, on mashed sweet potato

Ironside: Some of the best rockfish ceviche we ever had. Fresh caught oysters, bread was $5 but homemade loaf was pretty darn worth it.

ORAggieFan
Bump for a recent question.

I'd add El Jardin for outstanding gourmet Mexican.
DallasAg2
AG
I would stop by Sugar Factory for their craziness.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.