Peru - What to do other than Machu Picchu

1,834 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by pimplepopper
FbgTxAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Headed to Peru in September. Flying into Lima and have 8 days to do stuff in Peru before heading to Cusco then doing the trail to MP.

What other amazing places or things to see does anyone recommend? I assume we should rent a car?

Thanks!
Kool
AG
Cusco is an amazing city. Spend some extra time there. If you enjoy insanely hot and humid weather, coupled with being constantly bitten be mosquitoes, head to the headwaters of the Amazon via Quito.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
OasisMan
AG
Ayahuasca
FbgTxAg
AG
OasisMan said:

Ayahuasca

Ecuador?
Schuly
AG
Lake Titicaca. Really.
AG81xx
AG
Second that
FbgTxAg
AG
Schuly said:

Lake Titicaca. Really.
Doing it!
pimplepopper
AG
Family and I are leaving in less than 2 weeks. Can't wait.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Incorrect, sir!
Tons of great eating in Lima if you spend a few days. Peru Rail operates an incredible 10 hour luxury train service between Cusco and Puno (on Lake Titicaca) that I think is a must do (and very reasonably priced if you go to both cities).
FbgTxAg
AG
Incorrect, sir! said:

Tons of great eating in Lima if you spend a few days. Peru Rail operates an incredible 10 hour luxury train service between Cusco and Puno (on Lake Titicaca) that I think is a must do (and very reasonably priced if you go to both cities).
Funny you should mention that....

I just finished finalizing the trip.

We are flying into Lima, then straight to Arequipa. 3 1/2 days there then jumping on that train - The Andean Explorer - for a 3 day/2 night luxury ride to Puno (Lake T) and then on to Cusco. A week in Cusco doing the trail, Machu Picchu, and Rainbow Mtn., then flying to Lima for 4 nights - with no plans but to eat and drink our way across the city.

So I'm feeling pretty good about my choices!
pimplepopper
AG
We just got back last week and it may have been my best vacation ever. We went with Adventures by Disney. Take a look at their agenda. I would NOT advise driving yourself in that country. It's wheel's off. A lot of the things we did/saw are within an hour of Cusco.
Clavell
AG
Yeah, Lima has the best seafood. Crabs that beat Alaskan.
AAM02
AG
Speaking of Machu Picchu - anyone know what they consider to be "professional" camera equipment? I intend to bring a camera along and am wondering where they draw the line? I'm assuming it's completely subjective and if the guy working the gate wants to shake you down for money he's going to do it regardless.
Spore Ag
Take a bus south to see the Nazca lines. Nearby is Paracas or the poor mans Galapagoes. There is a bus to Ariquipa and Choka canyon to see the Andean Condors which are really worth seeing.
From Titicaca try to cross over to La Paz. It is amazing. Easy border crossing.
pimplepopper
AG
There were 2 people in our tour group that had DLSR cameras and no one told them a thing. Didn't see anyone with a tripod. Walking sticks are supposedly banned because they don't want metal tips damaging the stones. But I saw a ton of people with them anyway.
AAM02
AG
pimplepopper said:

There were 2 people in our tour group that had DLSR cameras and no one told them a thing. Didn't see anyone with a tripod. Walking sticks are supposedly banned because they don't want metal tips damaging the stones. But I saw a ton of people with them anyway.

That's good news. I've got a Sony that's smaller than dslrs. Only thing that may grab attention is multiple lenses. I've got a gorillapod but likely won't attempt to bring that to MP since I've read about no tripods, monopods, selfie sticks, etc.

Did those people have multiple lenses? I'm also wondering if a camera bag would draw attention too.

I'm finding it difficult to locate anything definitive.
dallasiteinsa02
The bus ride to the top of Mancu Pichu is one of the most relaxing things I have ever done especially when they have to reverse to let another bus go by.
FancyKetchup14
AG
Lima was alright, their weather blows though. I stayed in Miraflores, it's a good spot. I loved their street food. Tanta was a great restaurant at Larcomar (a nice shopping area). If you enjoy fine dining, hit up Central. Watch the chefs table on Netflix about it. It's really good.

Cusco is great. One of my favorite cities in the world. Ollantaytambo is really cool too. It should be on your way to MP. The town at the base of MP (Aguas Calientes) is pretty cool how it's laid out.

Peruvians are super nice. You'll love it there. Try the Cuy (Guinea Pig) and try a Pisco Sour. There's a ton of history in that country.
pimplepopper
AG
I'm pretty sure one of them had a bag. I really wouldn't sweat it, as long as you don't look like your scouting for a movie I think you'll be fine.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.