NYC food

2,255 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by ThunderCougarFalconBird
htownaggie09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Going to NYC for a few days and hanging out while the hubby works. Where are your favorite coffee/lunch spots?!?!
The Catfish
AG
Tom's Restaurant if you're a Seinfeld fan. It's a really just a standard diner but not bad.
littlebitofhifi
AG
For coffee spots, most of the Joe Coffee locations are pretty good. I like Irving Farm on the Upper West Side but there are a couple other locations around town as well. If you're on the Lower East Side/Alphabet City, I highly recommend The Roost. Cool coffee shop with a really nice whiskey & cocktail bar in the back.

I'm terrible at lunch spot recommendations...I eat at my desk too often.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Dog Haus is awesome. Probably the best damned hot dog I've ever had. The burgers here are nothing special (not bad, not great) but the hot dogs are special.

David's Brisket and Deli in Brooklyn also the best deli experience I've ever had. I've been to NYC a few times and hit up a few different delis and David's blew the other ones out of the water.

For Italian, Tony di Napoli has an amazing Vodka sauce, but they are actually known for their chicken parm.
WES2006AG
AG
Try Burger Joint in the Parker Meridian Hotel is one of the best burgers I've ever had. It is a really fancy hotel but this place is a dive.
dcAg
Eat a slice of pizza for lunch.
Eat a bagel for breakfast.
Eat a street vendor hot dog any time.
TXTransplant
If you like donuts, definitely try doughnut plant. They have a couple of their own shops, but tons of other cafes also sell a selection of their items. Their website shows exactly who/where. The seasonal ones are all sorts of interesting flavors, and the Brooklyn Blackout is chocolate heaven. They are more like desserts/snacks rather than a breakfast item, but it's best to get them when they are freshly baked.
Spore Ag
If you are walking the Highline look for Artichoke &Basil pizza place.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Multiple trips to NYC and I feel like the street food for the most part is a novelty more than actually being really good. I think I've done different types of street food around 10-12 times and not once did I feel like the food was special in any way. At best, there were a couple of times the food was pretty good (not great).

I've only gotten a bagel once off the street there but that one time, it was hard and dry. They had put the cream cheese on it already and it had been sitting around. It was around 10 in the morning so not early, but not that late either.

The hot dog links always seem too small for the bun imho. Its ok if you're in a hurry and just wana grub real quick on the go. But I certainly wouldn't look forward to it as a substantive good meal.
Fairview
AG
I agree with one exception. Getting some food at the original Halal guys (6th and 53rd) at 1:00 am after a night of drinking is pretty damn delicious.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Fairview said:

I agree with one exception. Getting some food at the original Halal guys (6th and 53rd) at 1:00 am after a night of drinking is pretty damn delicious.
I've heard this (or some variation of it) from others too.
aTm2004
AG
Grab breakfast (pancakes) at Bubby's. Been to both locations and both are awesome.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Essa bagel is good if you want a quick breakfast/lunch. But it's small and most people get it to go. Wouldn't be somewhere you'd want to hang out for long.
sts7049
AG
peter luger lunch burger
Bruce Almighty
AG
Katz
IslandAg76
AG
Go to China town, walk around and pick a restaurant.
Let them order for you
Greener Acres
AG
Magnolia Bakery - Cofffee/pastries/breakfast at Columbus and W 69th.

Cafe Mogador - Moroccan restaurant for lunch/brunch
schmendeler
AG
I've been watching pizza videos on YouTube so, I would say Best pizza, Luigi's, and Di Fara.
schmendeler
AG
Also I'd love to try any of David Chang's places.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Spotted Pig is a good place to hit -- especially on a weekday for lunch.

I've always had good coffee at Gasoline Alley Coffee (I think there are a few of them in Manhattan).

Totto Ramen (basically a tiny little basement joint on 52nd just east of 9th) serves up really good ramen dishes.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.