Odd request for solo trip - wanting to get away

1,710 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by katy91
BenFiasco14
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I won't bore everyone with the sappy details but I've recently gone through a lot of personal things in my life. I just want to get away, by myself, somewhere I can relax, sightsee, whatever really, for maybe 4-5 days.

This is mostly open ended with a few criteria I have in mind.

-Driving distance from Austin area (anywhere up to 14 hours away driving one way)

-Can be an outdoorsy thing, a city, or a mixture of both, I don't really care. But just to let you know what kind of things I like to do, I like hiking, camping (and or "glamping") fishing, and typical touristy stuff in any city I visit. Go see the local sites, eat the food, tour the breweries, whatever.

-Not houston, dfw, big bend, south padre, or Galveston. (Not that I don't like B.B. I've just been there a lot and if I choose to go there I already know what to do)

Other than that, I'm open to any ideas if anyone has suggestions or has gone on similar solo trips to just kind of get away from it all for awhile.

Thanks and gig em!
JSKolache
AG
Ruidoso. Good weather this time of year, clean air, and the ponies are running just about every day. Enjoy.
JMac03
AG
Arkansas? I've never been but it came to mind.

Here is a website you can find glamming spots!

Https://glampinghub.com

stardustag
AG
I find that outdoor and beautiful landscapes with a little of water element and a little bit of hills/mountains really do your soul good... so I would recommend drive toward Colorado, or drive toward Arkansas/Missouri/Tennessee and get something right on the water or with a mountain view.

If driving that long isn't your cup of tea... look at Alegiant Air or Alaskan Air, or Frontier Air. They have these random $40-50 deals (one-way price) all the time... and see if any of those cities interest you. I would pick somewhere like Denver or New Mexico or somewhere Southeast. You actually may be able to take advantage of short-notice trips... which a lot of those deals are just that - like take a trip this weekend because that's when the deals are.

Good luck!
BenFiasco14
AG
JMac07 said:

Arkansas? I've never been but it came to mind.

Here is a website you can find glamming spots!

Https://glampinghub.com

Thanks! That's a new one, bookmarked
JeepWaveEarl
AG
Call Harvard Hotel in Fort Davis, TX. Book Sproul Ranch for a room. Enjoy. ( Trust me... it's what's kept me sane for going on 9 years)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
...grateful for grace.....
Otto Braun 6/6/12-12/26/13
--cure pediatric cancer--
OldAg92
AG
Breckenridge, Colorado.

That is my happy place and where I have found the most peace of anywhere I've been in my life.
MAROON
AG
Creede Co.
Hwy 30A area - Florida Panhandle
Nashville
New Orleans
Natchez - then drive the Natchez Trace north for as long as you want. End up in Tennessee at Jack Daniels
AggieOO
AGGODDESS said:

Call Harvard Hotel in Fort Davis, TX. Book Sproul Ranch for a room. Enjoy. ( Trust me... it's what's kept me sane for going on 9 years)

Gus is that bad?
Wicked Good Ag
Sorry for what you are going thru. I have been there long ago as well

I would suggest NOT driving. Spending time alone in a car makes you think about issues that you are trying to get away from. And since it is just you you aren't saving much in gas vs flight to get somewhere.

That said parts of Arkansas are beautiful but more the NW area
Asheville has everything you are looking for I think

Good luck and let us know how everything goes in case any of us need the same thing later on
91AggieLawyer
AG
Lake Tahoe. If you pick your dates right, you can fly from SA to Reno (SWA) for much less than what you could spend driving to Amarillo or OKC and back.
chick79
AG
I just got back from Asheville. Great town. Lots to do. Tour the Biltmore Estate and drive the Blue Ridge Parkway!
ontherocks
AG
I've only done one trip alone and it was hiking to macchu picchu via salkantay trek. Best 6 day trip ever. Met a bunch of cool people on our hike. Everyone was alone or with one buddy. Great time. I know you want to stay local but if you have 2k you can do the trip easy.
katy91
AG
I am about to do the same thing. Leaving on a Saturday-driving through Oklahoma to golf in Kansas, then on to Nebraska to Mc Cook. I have a guided trip to fish for Walleye. On the way back a detour to Denver to see LIVE/Counting Crows then back to Texas by Friday night sometime.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.