Kids separated on flights

2,420 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by JustPanda
BlueAg2003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This is a question for my sister-in-law. We are all gearing up to leave for a family reunion in Florida and she checked in for her flight from NYC to Tampa this morning. She and her husband had reserved their seats for them and their four children (6 and under). Upon checking in, everyone is now split up in single seats.

So we're talking a 1.5 year old on his own, a 3 year old on her own, etc. She called the airline, Jet Blue who said nothing could be done on the phone. She has to wait to get to the gate. I'm trying to read information online, but there isn't much being said. It looks like a new law was put into place last year by Congress saying that airlines can't do this, but it also appears it's not being enforced. I've seen some forums say that you're just SOL if the gate agent decides they don't want to do anything.

These aren't even my kids, but I'm stressed for them. Anyone have any experience with this? It seems like a recipe for disaster. In an emergency situation, I wouldn't trust some random stranger to protect my child, nor do I trust a stranger to interact with my child for 3 hours even when the flight is going well.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Did they try the "I'd like to speak with your supervisor" approach?
TXTransplant
I'm assuming they purchased assigned/specific seats? Maybe the plane changed and that's why they are being split up?

With that said, I doubt most passengers will want to sit by some random 1 1/2 or 3 year old kid, so there will likely be a couple of nice/sympathetic passengers on the plane who will change seats to help your SIL out. They just might have to ask the other passengers themselves, once they are on the plane, if the gate agent/flight attendants won't help.
BlueAg2003
AG
Yes, it sounds like all of the work has to be done at the gate.

And TXTransplant, that is what I'm hoping. That people are more than willing to switch so they don't have to sit next to a toddler. These kids have never flown before and one of them (the five year old) has some major sensory issues. So I'm just hoping people are cool and do the right thing.
JMac03
AG
I've dealt with similar instance on American but not to this extent. Essentially only paid seats were left (they had a huge block of seats they weren't releasing ahead of time). The only way my clients could guarantee sit together was to pay for seats ahead of time or take their chances at the airport. Their policy was to not separate children but couldn't guarantee it. They ended up being fine but that was a huge stressor for them ( 2 families of 4, and had issues on 2 legs not being able to assign seats).
histag10
AG
JMac07 said:

I've dealt with similar instance on American but not to this extent. Essentially only paid seats were left (they had a huge block of seats they weren't releasing ahead of time). The only way my clients could guarantee sit together was to pay for seats ahead of time or take their chances at the airport. Their policy was to not separate children but couldn't guarantee it. They ended up being fine but that was a huge stressor for them ( 2 families of 4, and had issues on 2 legs not being able to assign seats).

Is American pretty good about this? We have always flown United in the past, and are having to fly American this weekend for a funeral. We do not have assigned seats. While one of us adults don't mind sitting by ourselves, we are travelling with a 3 year old.
JMac03
AG
histag10 said:

JMac07 said:

Is American pretty good about this? We have always flown United in the past, and are having to fly American this weekend for a funeral. We do not have assigned seats. While one of us adults don't mind sitting by ourselves, we are travelling with a 3 year old.

They did not end up having to sit apart, they did get to sit together. But I can tell you it was a nerve-wracking experience for me calling several times only to get told unless they buy seats, they have to check at the airport, but their policy is to normally sit families together.
ColoradoMooseHerd
Sounds like they had not purchased specific reserved seats.
WoMD
Did they try talking to the media and flooding Facebook with the story to get sympathy? I hear that this can only be addressed by congress, but you have to start somewhere.
Fairview
AG
United has done this to me before. Im 1k and also super anal about making sure everyone is seated together. The most recent time was February of this year and their reservation system blew out our reservation into four individual reservations. Once that happens they cant recombine and it causes all sorts of issues.

The aircraft changed so our seats weren't together and it also had us boarding in 4 different groups. The worst part though was it marked our kids as unaccompanied minors. I was able to get the seat thing fixed before but in other situations where this has happened the gate agent has always been able to move stuff around for us. The gate agent let us board together and it ended up being ok. One leg one of us had to sit on our own but we still had a parent with the kids so we were good.

Its stressful because you don't know until you get there but the gate agents can move a lot around. Now if they bought a fare where they don't get to pick the seats they may be SOL.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Why not just pay for the seats?
Post removed:
by user
PhatMack19
AG
SoupNazi2001 said:

Do people honestly worry about this? No airline would let a 1.5 year old or 3 year old sit by themselves and no passengers would want to sit by a 1.5 year old or 3 year old without their parents.
I would hand whoever got stuck with the kids a diaper bag and feeding schedule, then head to my seat and catch a nap.
HollywoodBQ
AG
I was flying out of Austin about 6 months ago and saw some clown get on with his 12 year old son and running some BS about how he didn't want his son to sit by himself. Nerdbucket just didn't want to pay for a guaranteed seat next to his kid so he figured he'd pull some BS once he boarded the aircraft. My unsympathetic ass was like - NOPE, I'm not moving. You can do what I do when I travel with my family - reserve your seats in advance and pay the piper for whatever it costs. Usually somewhere between $25-$60 per seat to reserve your seats. And a 12 year old being too afraid to sit one row away from his dad, PLEASE.

For the OP, the gate agent can usually sort out whatever dramas there may be. Family of 6 though... been there done that, got the t-shirt. I don't recommend it.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Here's my best ever seat re-assignment story.

Back in the 1980s, Alitalia and KLM had deals where if you would fly their airline between Saudi Arabia and the USA, they would put you up for one night in their hub city - Rome, or Amsterdam. So, I've been to Rome a few times and Amsterdam as well.

So, we're headed home from Houston to JFK to Rome and then on to Saudi Arabia. Our flight from Houston to JFK was late and we show up barely with enough time to make the Alitalia flight. They issue our family of six, boarding passes that are all over the place. Boys aged 14, 12 and 5. Daughter age 3. My mother's main concern was getting to sit with my sister since she was only 3. The rest of us could manage the flight from JFK to Rome without too much difficulty.

Anyway, we get to the aircraft and they're literally waiting on us to depart. Hot summer day, we're frazzled from being late and rushing through the airport and we present the Alitalia Flight Attendant our boarding passes. As he looks at them, he realizes we're all over the Economy Class cabin. I'll never forget this, he said, "This is no good. This is a family. We can't have a family all over the airplane." What happened next still blows my mind.

The head Alitalia Flight Attendant tells us to wait right there and he walks to the front of the plane. We hear some commotion and some complaints (New Yorkers probably) and we see some people getting up out of their seats and moving around. The guy returns and tells us that he was able to get us seats close together but that we would be in 3 rows of 2 seats each.

The Alitalia Flight Attendant takes us to the nose of the aircraft and seats us in the first three rows of First Class on the left side of the aircraft. My brother and I were in Row 1 on a 747. It was truly unbelievable. Due to an amazing Flight Attendant taking charge of a messed up situation, we few First Class from JFK to Rome. An experience that I still remember almost 35 years later. That's the story I think of when I try to explain the value that Italians place on Family. Us Americans would have just been happy to reach our destination without further delay.
histag10
AG
Is it odd that, despite my tickets being sold without assigned seats, there are seats populated online when I log into my account?

Everything else says our tickets are basic economy. Maybe my husband purchased seats at the time, but I certainly don't remember it.
JMac03
AG
histag10 said:

Is it odd that, despite my tickets being sold without assigned seats, there are seats populated online when I log into my account?

Everything else says our tickets are basic economy. Maybe my husband purchased seats at the time, but I certainly don't remember it.
While I haven't ever purchased BE seats for me or my clients, I would say if you have assigned seats, especially more than 24 hours in advanced, that maybe he did purchase them. BE doesn't have assigned seats nor a carry-on bag included in its pricing (you can bring a personal item that will fit under the seat in front of you).
histag10
AG
JMac07 said:

histag10 said:

While I haven't ever purchased BE seats for me or my clients, I would say if you have assigned seats, especially more than 24 hours in advanced, that maybe he did purchase them. BE doesn't have assigned seats nor a carry-on bag included in its pricing (you can bring a personal item that will fit under the seat in front of you).

Everything says no carry on, 1 personal item, seats assigned at check in, but then on each leg, it has seats listed.
histag10
AG
Okay, yeah. Weird. Its allowing me the option to change my seats if i want, but we are sitting together on every leg.
Joan Wilder
AG
Based on my United experience, Your basic economy tickets might have seats "assigned" right now but there's no guarantee you'll have those seats when you get to the airport. You'll also be in the last group to board. Why would you buy basic economy when traveling with little kids? You know you're going to be split up, and they limit your carryons.

You may need to upgrade your fares to ensure the kids sit with parents.
AgGrad99
AG

Interesting thread.

I havent flown Delta in many years, but have an upcoming flight with them. It states that there are no seat assignments filled until after I check-in.

It also doesnt give me the option to purchase priority boarding, or anything along those lines.

It's 4 of us...2 adults, 2 kids.

Curious if they'll make an effort to keep us together, or if we'll be split up.
powerbelly
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

My brother and I were in Row 1 on a 747. It was truly unbelievable.
This was my dream as a kid, but I don't know if I will ever have the chance.
stardustag
AG
this thread is funny because my wife and I just bought some cheap tickets to fly from Austin to Destin in August... Alegiant Air... they are $44 one-way... then we saw they wanted to charge us $11 more to pick seats... and I was like, NOPE, ain't gonna pay $11 more!

Hoping Alegiant Air will put us together seeing that we have a 3-yo... if not I'll be doing some battering at the gate. Worst case scenario is my 3-yo will be holding one of our iPhones and watch her shows for the 1.5 hour flight in her own seat surrounded by strangers!

And then next time we'll pay the $11 more...
histag10
AG
Clarke95 said:

Based on my United experience, Your basic economy tickets might have seats "assigned" right now but there's no guarantee you'll have those seats when you get to the airport. You'll also be in the last group to board. Why would you buy basic economy when traveling with little kids? You know you're going to be split up, and they limit your carryons.

You may need to upgrade your fares to ensure the kids sit with parents.

If you are responding to me, then you missed the part where im flying American, not United, and it was a last minute booking for a funeral and we took what was available.
histag10
AG
I always thought allegiant would make you pay at the gate for seats too. Part of their cheap flight strategy. You buy a ticket to board, not to sit.

Maybe that was frontier
HollywoodBQ
AG
powerbelly said:

HollywoodBQ said:

My brother and I were in Row 1 on a 747. It was truly unbelievable.
This was my dream as a kid, but I don't know if I will ever have the chance.
My dream as a kid was to sit upstairs on the 747. I finally got the chance about 7 years ago. In Qantas Business Class, I sat across the aisle from Peter Garrett of Midnight Oil who at the time was a sitting Member of Parliament, on an overnight flight from Tokyo to Sydney. Unfortunately, the 747s are fading fast.

MonkeyKnifeFighter
ag88man
AG
Not exactly related to the OP situation, but I teach at a school where the entire sixth grade takes a trip to DC and Williamsburg. It is a popular route, and the flight there and back is usually completely full. Group travel is a little different, and I'm just a teacher chaperone on the trip, but I know the tickets are purchased as early as possible each year.

One time, as we traveled back from Reagan to DFW, we got our boarding passes, and we were assigned to every middle seat down both sides of coach. I just had to laugh, but many of the kiddos were pretty worried. They are only 11 and 12. A few of the adults were pretty livid. The airline said they could not or would not fix it. I just focused on reassuring the girls that it would be okay. Most of them are pretty seasoned travelers. Anyway, by the time they were seated, almost every one of my students were sitting next to each other becuse the other passengers were so shocked by the situation.
HollywoodBQ
AG
When I lived in Denver, every year, there was some sort of middle school/Junior High - Science trip to San Diego. I was on several flights with these kids. Kids from suburban Colorado so they were pretty well behaved. I would have been on Frontier or United.

Anyway, they were usually in middle seats as you described or grouped together in a few rows. It was never a problem other than the teenage girl giggles. No kids with cell phones back then in the early 2000s.
ag88man
AG
I guess we've been lucky. It's only happened once in about 40 flights.
ezmoney
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

I was flying out of Austin about 6 months ago and saw some clown get on with his 12 year old son and running some BS about how he didn't want his son to sit by himself. Nerdbucket just didn't want to pay for a guaranteed seat next to his kid so he figured he'd pull some BS once he boarded the aircraft. My unsympathetic ass was like - NOPE, I'm not moving. You can do what I do when I travel with my family - reserve your seats in advance and pay the piper for whatever it costs. Usually somewhere between $25-$60 per seat to reserve your seats. And a 12 year old being too afraid to sit one row away from his dad, PLEASE.

For the OP, the gate agent can usually sort out whatever dramas there may be. Family of 6 though... been there done that, got the t-shirt. I don't recommend it.
Hallelujah. Not my problem for you being a cheap ***.
Ogre09
AG
I love Southwest.
JustPanda
AG
1.5 is a lap child.... why waste money on a seat?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.