College Station to Destin Road Stops for Kids

1,669 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by JayAggie
crb87
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I just noticed there is another Destin thread going but I am more looking for recommendations for things to do between CS and Destin. We are driving and have little kids (3 and 1) so we will likely be making frequent stops. Does anyone have recommendations for the little ones (mostly the 3 year old) along the way? Thanks!
Wicked Good Ag
Lake Charles has a park just past the bridge. I think they call it Millenium Park. It has huge amount of swings slides etc along with a water splash pad. Overlooks the water as well.
crb87
AG
Sounds like a perfect place to run off some energy! Thanks!
Ogre09
AG
USS Alabama in Mobile. Eat at Felix's nearby.

Naval aviation museum in Pensacola.
CS78
Baby gators. Right on I-10. Free

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g40237-d3871003-Reviews-Gator_Chateau-Jennings_Louisiana.html

Smokedraw01
I'd recommend eating at Spot of Tea in Mobile and then hanging out in the open green area across the street.
"If you run into an ******* in the morning, you ran into an *******. If you run into *******s all day, you're the *******." – Raylan Givens, "Justified."
crb87
AG
Thanks! We were also thinking about detouring through New Orleans on the way there or on the way back just because we have never been there. Does anyone recommend a good restaurant for lunch there that is kid friendly with a good "New Orleans" atmosphere?
ktownag08
AG
Do what we just did a couple of days ago, stop at Chick-fil-A. They have a clean, air-conditioned play place and didn't care at all that we had our own snacks. We bought some milk and lemonade to drink from them.

It's too damn hot at the moment for these outdoor playgrounds.
crb87
AG
That's a good idea. I'm definitely down for the A/C!
DannyDuberstein
AG
Speaking of gators, Alligator Alley east of Mobile (about 10-15 min south of I-10). Summerdale, AL.

They built a series of boardwalks over a swamp absolutely full of gators. You can feed them from a bucket. The growling and snarling at each other as they angle for your food is pretty awesome. They also have demonstrations with some particularly large gators, and then kids can hold the little ones. You'd likely spend most of your time feeding them from the boardwalk, which I recall being well shaded.

https://gatoralleyfarm.com/
Rusty GCS
AG
CS78 said:

Baby gators. Right on I-10. Free

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g40237-d3871003-Reviews-Gator_Chateau-Jennings_Louisiana.html

Good rec. I live a few miles from there. My great uncle had that park built.

And stop off in Scott, Louisiana. Grab some pepper jack stuffed boudin balls at Billy's to snack on the ride but also stop by Candyland and Ice Cream Shoppe for the 3 year old
91AggieLawyer
AG
You might limit some stops by leaving at 4 in the morning. By the time the kids wake up, you'll be halfway there. Stop for breakfast, change drivers (if necessary) and then stop in the Gulfport/Mobile area for lunch and running around.
LSB_2002
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

You might limit some stops by leaving at 4 in the morning. By the time the kids wake up, you'll be halfway there. Stop for breakfast, change drivers (if necessary) and then stop in the Gulfport/Mobile area for lunch and running around.
Planning this tomorrow morning! Our family is off to SanDestin and the plan is to leave at 4:00 am on the dot. We'll be the family that looks like the clampets headed down I-20!
JayAggie
AG
Believe it or not the TX/LA border rest stop is free and pretty cool. Boardwalk through swamp area where we saw snakes, gator, HUGE toads.

Lake Charles does have a park which is convenient off I-10.

lsu campus is basically off I-10 too. I think they have a live tiger again so can always check out that exhibit.

New Orleans grab a coffee and Beignet at Cafe du Monde and then head out. This will add significant time to your trip if you go to New Orleans instead of taking I-12. If you decide to skip New Orleans and want an authentic beignet then Coffee Call in Baton Rouge is right off I-10 and also close to lsu campus.

USS Alabama is cool and there are tons of free stuff to look at without going in if you are short on time.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.