Are the all inclusive resorts near Cancun safe to travel to?

2,492 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Ezra Brooks
LJF78
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looking at a trip in August.
Wife on edge about safety in Mexico.
other than transfers to and from airport we would stay at resort at all times
Ag_07
AG

And here's my input...Some people will say it's just as safe as Chicago or NY and some people will say stay away. It's probably somewhere in the middle and depends on your personal risk tolerance and comfort level.
ww
AG
Just came back from The Grand at Moon Palace Cancun a couple weeks ago, with the wife and two young kids, and always felt safe. Quick ride to/from airport, but it's not really in the city.
bthotugigem05
AG
Just spent four days in Mayakoba, drove into Playa del Carmen numerous times and even out to Chichen Itza, didn't have any issues and wasn't murdered even once.
agmom95
AG
We just got back from Live Aqua Cancun. We took USA transfers to and from hotel. We felt very safe the entire time. Also felt comfortable with alcohol and quality. I was super concerned about going, but went for brother in laws bday. My biggest worry when traveling to a place like Mexico is drinking too much and Having an accident of some sort. I don't want to be stuck in a hospital down there. I've heard of this happening with the trend of high school or college age kids taking off down there and getting out of control.
eiggA2002
AG
Go, go, go. If anything, I felt more safe last time down. You have a better chance of being swept away by a hurricane. We're going back June 30th to Playa.
JMac03
AG
Honestly, you never know. Thousands of people go everyday and they are save. Then there are those unfortunate ones that something happens to. Right now flights are getting cheaper because less people are going. I would look at Jamaica or Dominican Republic, but that's just me.
213 Grove
AG
Just got back from Isla Muejeres. It was amazing and the island is super safe. Everyone drives golf carts around there and the ferry ride is only about 20 minutes to Cancun if you want to go into town
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
07fta07
AG
I feel less safe leaving an Astros game at night than I've ever felt in Mexico. We go every summer and will go again next summer. Don't do stupid stuff and you're fine.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
LJF78 said:

Looking at a trip in August.
Wife on edge about safety in Mexico.
other than transfers to and from airport we would stay at resort at all times

Not leaving the resort. Then I wouldn't worry one bit.

The killings going on in Cancun are in parts of the city that no tourist has any business being in and targeted hits. I wouldn't avoid a beach resort in Cancun any more than I'd avoid Dallas because of South Oak Cliff, Houston because of the 5th Ward, or St. Louis because of East St Louis.

The Cancun hot spots are in "unauthorized" or "irregular" neighborhoods where people have moved in without any permission from the government and electricity/etc is often pirated. You would INSTANTLY know you had no business there.

But the resorts are an entirely different world.
Charlie Conway
SoupNazi2001 said:

Spent 7 nights in Cancun / Cozumel in May and didn't die. Also Jamaica is a bigger **** hole than Mexico.
Mexico is too unsafe so go to Jamaica lol

Went to Cozumel for a wedding last year, spent a lot of time in downtown (sort of) Cozumel and took the ferry to Playa, before they started blowing it up. Was out late and drunk and never felt unsafe the whole time I was there and was only kidnapped once.

Edit to add that if you avoid seeking out drugs/dealers you'll be fine.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
Charlie Conway said:

I was there and was only kidnapped once.

But was she hot?
Burrus86
AG
I'd be more worried about the Mexican TSA giving me a full body cavity search when the light turns red than the cartels and violence.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
Burrus86 said:

I'd be more worried about the Mexican TSA giving me a full body cavity search when the light turns red than the cartels and violence.

The red light/green light system has been or is being phased out.
bthotugigem05
AG
Still alive and well at CUN a week ago
KW02
AG
Just go. You will be fine, unless your not.

Seriously, it is fine as long as you are not walking in areas you should not be.
aggielostinETX
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

Just spent four days in Mayakoba, drove into Playa del Carmen numerous times and even out to Chichen Itza, didn't have any issues and wasn't murdered even once.

Which hotel?
bthotugigem05
AG
The Fairmont. Lovely property but a little too spread out for me. Also it rained for literally the entire trip so can't really speak to the beach quality or anything. Food and drinks were outrageously expensive also.
aggielostinETX
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

The Fairmont. Lovely property but a little too spread out for me. Also it rained for literally the entire trip so can't really speak to the beach quality or anything. Food and drinks were outrageously expensive also.

Leaving for Banyan Tree in a few weeks. Have done Rosewood before.
bthotugigem05
AG
If it wasn't for a 3rd night free deal I was going to go to the Banyan, heard so many good things.
aggielostinETX
AG
We did buy 3, 4th free.
gvine07
AG
The light turned red when I pushed it a couple years ago! I was concerned.

They told me to open my bag (they barely looked in it never put their hands near it) and asked if I had drugs or weapons... then told me I was done. I don't know if they do that for everybody or just gringos
Earp16
AG
Just got back and recommend Unico 20 87. New resort that opened in 2017. Swim up room was great. Only complaint was the beach being full of seaweed. The day we arrived was the first day it hadn't rained in 5 or 6 days.
Burrus86
AG
gvine07 said:

The light turned red when I pushed it a couple years ago! I was concerned.

They told me to open my bag (they barely looked in it never put their hands near it) and asked if I had drugs or weapons... then told me I was done. I don't know if they do that for everybody or just gringos

I was there two weeks ago....first time it turned red in the last 15+ years traveling there. I thought I was off the hook when the folks in front of me pushed the button and it turned red!

Nothing to be worried about but my wife's carton of imperialist gringo cigarettes!
Ogre09
AG
I got liquored up and loved up when I went. So there's always that risk.
Ezra Brooks
AG
Earp16 said:

Just got back and recommend Unico 20 87. New resort that opened in 2017. Swim up room was great. Only complaint was the beach being full of seaweed. The day we arrived was the first day it hadn't rained in 5 or 6 days.
Unico 2087 is AWESOME!

We were there last April just after they opened - really want to go back.

It's my only Mexico resort experience, and I can't imagine that there are too many others that are equivalent.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.