LA & San Diego Family Vacation Suggestions

1,853 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Amarillo Slim
Amarillo Slim
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Going in Late July with kids and Grand kids, ages 17-6. Looking for must do suggestions for entertainment, restaurants, sports venues, nature.

So far thinking Angels game, Disneyland, Legoland, seaworld, six flags, san diego zoo......

Pretty diverse group so all suggestions greatly appreciated.
TXTransplant
We just went to the San Diego Zoo. I highly recommend doing the "breakfast with pandas" add-on. It's not cheap, but you will get an almost private viewing (you'll be with 20-30 other people) of the pandas, as well as a bunch of other popular animals (we saw most of the big cats getting their breakfast, and saw a mother leopard with her two cubs). By the time our tour was over, these attractions were either mobbed with people (the pandas can be as long as a 3 hour wait) or the animals were nowhere to be seen (by the time we made our way back to the leopards, momma and her babies were gone). The extra cost is tempered somewhat because you know the money is going straight back to the zoo.

We also ate at a restaurant not far from the zoo called PARC bistro-brasserie that was very good.
ORAggieFan
San Diego:
PetCo way nicer than Anaheim. Do a game there if possible.
USS Midway
Balboa Park Museums
Obviously zoo
Zoo Safari Park
Children's beach La Jolla (seals)
Legoland

ColoradoMooseHerd
San Diego Bay - Jet Boat Tour on the Patriot - 30 minute ride on very fast power boat, that does some crazy turns and maneuvers. Not sure of all the age limits.

K1 Racing - on South Side of downtown. Great fun racing against each other.

La Jolla - Eat, Explore the Tidal Pools, See the Sea Lions

Hotel del Coronado - Eat at the Hotel, Play on the Beach, Don't have to stay there to explore the beach and hotel and other parts of island.

San Diego Zoo - Getting to do one of the behind the scenes tours is always amazing
JayAggie
AG
I can't argue with any of these suggestions, all great. We did a San Diego Bay tour but it was on a ferry boat type deal so much slower than suggested above. I don't think it was an actual ferry like you drive a car on, but a slow moving boat.

La Jolla area for sure for the beach and good food.
schmendeler
AG
Point Loma light house
BSD
AG
A 17 yr old would be bored to tears at Legoland. Anyone over 8 would be, actually. And I second the morning with pandas reccomendation. it's well worth it.

If you go to SeaWorld, do a behind the scenes Beluga whale encounter.
ORAggieFan
BSD said:

A 17 yr old would be bored to tears at Legoland. Anyone over 8 would be, actually. And I second the morning with pandas reccomendation. it's well worth it.

If you go to SeaWorld, do a behind the scenes Beluga whale encounter.

I missed ages. Probably right. But, I enjoy a few rides and I'm old.

FWIW, my kids at 6 and 7, lots of my recs based on what they'd like.
BSD
AG
I get ya. I saw it in the original post and was replying to that. My son loved the place and we went multiple times. Last year, when he was 8, we stayed about 3 hours and left. He wanted more action...in other words, we wanted Disney rides. He still wanted me to drop $300 and the store on the way out, though!
Amarillo Slim
AG
Any thoughts on Universal Hollywood vs s v Disneyland or Six Flags LA?
TXTransplant
Can only comment on Disneyland, but I think the Cars ride (and associated land) is worth the price of admission. It really is amazing and should appeal to the 17 year old, too.

If your kids are Harry Potter fans, though, they will also probably really like that (at Universal). We've been to the FL Harry Potter Parks, and they really are amazing (the rest of US was kind of a let-down, but HP made it totally worth the trip).

If I'm not mistaken, the California HP parks don't include Diagon Alley. If you have any plans to go to the FL Harry Potter Parks, then you might want to skip CA.
Amarillo Slim
AG
TXTransplant said:

Can only comment on Disneyland, but I think the Cars ride (and associated land) is worth the price of admission. It really is amazing and should appeal to the 17 year old, too.

If your kids are Harry Potter fans, though, they will also probably really like that (at Universal). We've been to the FL Harry Potter Parks, and they really are amazing (the rest of US was kind of a let-down, but HP made it totally worth the trip).

If I'm not mistaken, the California HP parks don't include Diagon Alley. If you have any plans to go to the FL Harry Potter Parks, then you might want to skip CA.
Thanks. We have done the Florida parks but Diagon Alley was in construction at the time.
Amarillo Slim
AG
Bumping for any more advice
Wicked Good Ag
I would strongly encourage getting the Go City Pass for San Diego. Most everything you want to do in San Diego can be found in the pass. Including most of the museums of Balboa Park area , Seaworld, USS Midway, petco Park tour, zoo and safari park and LEGOLAND which was better than expected for our older kids and loved by the younger although we didn't need a whole day there

It also includes a couple of things in LA area like Knotts Berry Farm amsusement park

Strongly encourage eating at Hodads for hamburgers , near ocean beach iirc

Liked touring Old Town and little Italy at night. We to Gaslight district and had a nice drink experience in underground bar called the Noble Experiment. Loved San Diego with the kids and would go back again with or without them

If staying for less than 5 days would consider staying in San Diego unless Disney is a must

Edits for added info
Amarillo Slim
AG
Thanks any recommendations on hotel or area to stay?
TexAg91
AG
Coronado Island Marriott Resort

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/sanci-coronado-island-marriott-resort-and-spa/
Matsui
AG
No to six flags la. I'd do universal la. I live here.
SW AG80
AG
You can take AmTrack from San Diego to Disneyland. Last time we did that it was as really cheap and convenient and kind of fun. Take train to Fullerton then short cab Ride to DisneyLand.
Wicked Good Ag
Vaccinate said:

Thanks any recommendations on hotel or area to stay?

We used AirBnB because our daughter and her boyfriend who are in Palo Alto for grad school came to meet us. He is from San Diego so for the four days they were there he was helpful for suggestions. That said the Air BnB was good for us. Basic stuff but centrally locates to everything we wanted to do in San Diego while not really close to any one thing. We liked it especially for the price. If you are interested I can get the info from my wife
Oogway
For the older crowd, if anyone is a gardener or art buff, the Huntington Library (San Marino, which is in the LA area) is outstanding (Gainsborough's 'Blue Boy' is there) but with two caveats: the time of your trip may make it a little warm to enjoy the gardens and secondly, it is a fair amount of walking. The gardens are absolutely amazing and we only saw a small fraction of the 120 something acres. The succulent/desert garden was amazing and the art collection pretty impressive.

I understand that kind of thing isn't for everyone, but if you have some folks who don't want to do the studio or other attractions, it is a nice diversion.
Amarillo Slim
AG
https://instagr.am/p/BlvhDHABsK8Dbg8COM65994Jh9jl2GboJACPD40

View from room in San Diego. Coronado Island Marriot

Scorcher here today. High of 84!

LMAO

Thanks for everyones suggestions!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.