Has anyone ever done a day trip to Normandy from Paris?

3,765 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by littlebitofhifi
ReloadAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I know it's probabaly not ideal and would be a really long day but we'll be in Paris in late July and just can't imagine being so close to Normandy and not actually going to see it. Has anyone done it? From what I read online it sounds like it'd be best to take a train out of Paris early in the morning and hook up with a tour guide company once you get there. .
Post removed:
by user
The Lost
We did it like 10 years ago. Our guide drove us from Paris and we stopped a museum a long the way. Cool experience that is definitely worth it.

eiggA2002
AG
I agree with the above. Absolutely worth it. It's really easy. We took a train to Bayeux and the tour guide picked us up nearby and took us to Pointe du Hoc, Omaha, bunkers, and the American Cemetery. She took back roads and took us through the hedgerows which was cool too. It'll take all day.
GIJOE
AG
We are planning to do the same thing in July.
Booked trip with Normandy Sightseeing Tours because they advertise small groups (8 max).
Other companies who offered small groups said the tour was subject to having enough for that day, and was subject to cancellation at last minute.
NST said they would take us even if we were only ones to sign up that day.
They will pick us up at Bayeux train station at 9:30 and bring us back at end of tour.

For those that have been, what tour company did you use?
Matsui
AG
what is the best time of year, low tourists, decent weather, to do Paris and Normandy (or just northern France in general)
ReloadAg
AG
Here's another question for you: would you do that same side trip with two little kids? We'll have our 5 and 2.5 yr old with us.
dcbowers
AG
We did it.

We rented a car and drove from Paris 20 years ago. Very long day (6 am - 10 pm). Nice museum in Caen, Aromanchees, Omaha Beach American Cemetery , St. Marie Eglise.

Definitely a great trip.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Crocker91
AG
We did a bus trip. Picked us up at the Louvre. Went to Omaha, Pegasus Bridge, Arromanches, Utah. Long day (14 hours) but included lunch. It was incredible. I'd do it again. With that said, staying in Arromanches or one of the other small towns for a night would probably be really fun.
SwissAgg
AG
ReloadAg said:

Here's another question for you: would you do that same side trip with two little kids? We'll have our 5 and 2.5 yr old with us.
That is a lot in one day. Why not 2-3 days?
ReloadAg
AG
I wish we had more time. We're in Paris for a week then going down to the Dordogne region for the next week.
The Lost
ReloadAg said:

Depends on how well your kids travel and if you'll ever have the chance to go again.

If you don't think you'll ever be over there again, 100% do it no matter what screaming kids do imo. You could wait until they could go and appreciate it too.

I dont remember the guides we used and could be off on how we got there. I do remember the cemetery, seeing bomb damage, point du lac, and imagining omaha beach on the day it happened. It's kinda eerie since it seems like a nice normal beach now.
Post removed:
by user
drumboy
AG
12 years ago me and a buddy did it; train to Caen and then rented a car. We should have researched more but we went to the American cemetery, Omaha Beach, and Pointe Du Hac. Ended up missing our train back so we had a couple beers in Bayeaux I think with a very mayo-tastic sandwich and partied one more night in Paris after getting a later train (we were supposed to leave Paris that day).

I wouldn't miss it.
BenFiasco14
AG
Yup... like others have said, do it. My tour wasn't a bus luckily, smaller tour where we took a van. Driver picked us up very early in Paris, I want to say about 5 am. Omaha beach, Point du Hoc, Utah, golden beach, and the American cemetery. Lunch was provided at a very nice local nearby winery and bed and breakfast.

Yes a very long day but we'll worth it and something I'll never forget.
awesome sauce
AG
Train to Bayeux and Bayeux Shuttle tour was outstanding. Went 3 years ago. It was easy to catch the train in Paris and then met the tour at the depot in Bayeux. It was a toss up between Bayeux Shuttle and Overlord Tours. Online reviews said both were great. It was one of the highlights of our trip.
Natural Born Aggie
AG
Second Bayeux Shuttle. We used them last year and it was awesome. A true highlight. Easy walk to their office from the Bayeux train station.
FriscoCoon
AG
My family and I are going to Normandy for the day from Paris on Monday, I will let you know how it goes.
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
Did the two day Overlord Tours. They picked up our group in two vans (12 people) at the hotel in the morning. Arrived in Sainte Mere Eglise for lunch. Then spent the afternoon touring. Spent the night in a great small hotel. The picked us up in the morning and toured some more.

Ate lunch and then back to Paris. Took part of our group to Paris Nord train station and the other half to a hotel in Paris. (that was our option)].

Guides were terrific and highly recommend. They spoke English fluently and they were very knowledgeable.

Would do it again.

Always_Right
AG
Yes, if you don't go you'll regret it, one of the most moving and memorable things I have ever experienced.
SW AG80
AG
ttt
FriscoCoon
AG
I forgot to post, but it is very much worth doing. We took a train to Caen and the guides picked us up there. We went to Point du Hoc, Omaha beach, Gold beach and US Cemetery. It was well worth it and the guide was unbelievably knowledgeable. We did our tour through Link Paris.

It was a long day, but I would do it again.
ReloadAg
AG
Thanks for the responses everyone. I'm way more of a history buff than the wife so I'm working on her. I can't imagine how cool it would be to see my kids walking around on Omaha Beach.
Natural Born Aggie
AG
My wife is not into history, but she loved the tour we did. It was a very moving experience, mainly Omaha Beach and Angoville au Plain. The tiny church there was the site of an amazing story if your guide takes you there.
bushytailed
AG
Do it.

We had 76 A&M students and four staff on two charter busses that left Paris around 6am and returned around midnight. Long day but so worth it.

Imperial war museum, point du hoc, Omaha, some of the bunkers, and the American cemetery.
Natural Born Aggie
AG
Also when you go to Pointe du Hoc, find the forwardmost German bunker (nearest the cliffs). They are in the shape of a V. Inside that bunker there is a plaque that the State of Texas dedicated to General Rudder.
arrow
AG
Natural Born Aggie said:

Second Bayeux Shuttle. We used them last year and it was awesome. A true highlight. Easy walk to their office from the Bayeux train station.
Here's a third for the Bayeux Shuttle day trip option from Paris. We weren't going to be in France long, but I told my wife no way I was going to France and not visiting Normandy. Our tour guide was a Brit whose father was in the RAF during WWII, he did a great job.
GIJOE
AG
Just got back from our trip last night. The trip to Normandy was one of the highlights.
Took train from Paris to Bayeux, toured from 9:30-6:00 and train back to Paris.
We were a little rushed at some of the locations and wish we'd had more time.
Used Normandy Sightseeing Tours because wanted small group.
Guide was adequate, but not great by any means. Would not recommend them.
Mustang1
AG
Going to Paris in March. Sounds like Bayeaux Shuttle is the guide co to use for Normandy.
agdoc84
We went this past summer. Awesome experience. There are 14 Aggies buried there and three missing in action. Research these brave Aggies. Most were 1718.
Matsui
AG
Can you recommend the tour guide?
littlebitofhifi
AG
One more rec here for Bayeux Shuttle. Took my dad this summer and we'd both highly recommend. Knowledgeable guides, good transport, small tours so we could ask questions but also spend some time exploring each site on our own.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.