Europe Tours

5,329 Views | 57 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by SwissAgg
GIJOE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wife and I are celebrating 30th anniversary this year and thinking about a tour of Europe.
Lots of options via Google.
Looking for recommendations for tour company.
Who is good? Who is bad.
tia
TXTransplant
We've used Adventures By Disney for two trips(it's not all mice and princesses, but you benefit greatly from traveling under the Disney name). Most of their trips are geared toward families, but they have adults-only departures. I've heard great things about Tauck and National Geographic. I've also heard great things about European river cruises (both Disney and Tauck offer their versions). I think Tauck probably offers the best value for what you get.

My suggestion is to decide the general area you want to visit (ie, which country, or what you want the "theme" of the trip to be) and start looking at different itineraries. Every company will offer something a little different, and you'll probably find one that's just right for you. You can always add extra days to the front or back of a trip to have "on your own time"
bugle rank '87
AG
I second Tauck. Going on our second tour with them in June.
We’ve never lost a halftime...
Line up and wait 18L
https://www.gate1travel.com/
SwissAgg
AG
Look for some cruises along the Rhine or the Danube.

They travel through Vienna, Budapest, Bratislava, Germany, etc.
ontherocks
AG
Cheap and no hassle, I would recommend European destinations. I never pay more than 2-3k per person for 2+week long (3-5 city) type of European vacations. This includes flights, rental car, trains, 4-5* hotels, etc. heading to Spain in a month and it's my 5th time using their website to get just what I want.
schmendeler
AG
Consider doing it yourself? Maybe your style is different but I usually look at the guided tours and buses with sympathy when we are traveling. How do you really experience a place when you're just being herded around from place to place?
ontherocks
AG
I agree, that's why I recommended European destinations as all it does is help you book hotels and flights and trains that coincide nicely. I agree that tours are not for me other than a winery trip as I want to drink and can't drive myself back home after a few tastings. Getting lost and doing your own thing is my favorite part of traveling to Europe but to each their own.
schmendeler
AG
ontherocks said:

I agree, that's why I recommended European destinations as all it does is help you book hotels and flights and trains that coincide nicely. I agree that tours are not for me other than a winery trip as I want to drink and can't drive myself back home after a few tastings. Getting lost and doing your own thing is my favorite part of traveling to Europe but to each their own.

Sounds like a good resource
SwissAgg
AG
ontherocks said:

Can you not organise this on your own? It is not so hard. The most important question is
"Which European destination is for me, and what do I want to see?".

1. Vineyards
2. Castles
3. Mountains
4. Quaint villages
ontherocks
AG
Why do it yourself when this does it for you all at once? Not just that, when I have tried to price it individually it always ends up more expensive.
ontherocks
AG
On top of that it will give recommendations for itineraries based on theme if you want.

https://www.europeandestinations.com

Thank me later.
SwissAgg
AG
ontherocks said:

Why do it yourself when this does it for you all at once? Not just that, when I have tried to price it individually it always ends up more expensive.
Why do it myself? Because I already know as much or more than these tours offer.

It really wouldn't bring me much.
TXTransplant
SwissAgg said:

ontherocks said:

Can you not organise this on your own? It is not so hard. The most important question is

1. Vineyards
2. Castles
3. Mountains
4. Quaint villages

Yes, you can organize a trip like this on your own. Most people who are looking at group tours are looking at them for specific reasons such as:

They want to travel in a group to meet other people (this is a big one for us since my son is an only child).

They want everything to be taken care of (on the trips we've taken, we didn't have to buy any tickets other than our plane ticket, we never touched our luggage the entire trip, all transfers, including to/from the airport were included, most meals were included, etc. - basically, all we had to do was show up and everything else was taken care of).

They want to experience off the beaten path things that they wouldn't otherwise get to see (many tours offer exclusive activities) and/or they want private experiences at certain attractions (for example, there are tour companies that offer private, after hours tours of the Sistine Chapel).

Having done big trips both ways, planning can be very time consuming. If you are busy, sometimes it's easier to let someone else do the work for you.
SwissAgg
AG
TXTransplant said:

SwissAgg said:

ontherocks said:

1. Vineyards
2. Castles
3. Mountains
4. Quaint villages

Yes, you can organize a trip like this on your own. Most people who are looking at group tours are looking at them for specific reasons such as:

They want to travel in a group to meet other people (this is a big one for us since my son is an only child).

They want everything to be taken care of (on the trips we've taken, we didn't have to buy any tickets other than our plane ticket, we never touched our luggage the entire trip, all transfers, including to/from the airport were included, most meals were included, etc. - basically, all we had to do was show up and everything else was taken care of).

They want to experience off the beaten path things that they wouldn't otherwise get to see (many tours offer exclusive activities) and/or they want private experiences at certain attractions (for example, there are tour companies that offer private, after hours tours of the Sistine Chapel).

Having done big trips both ways, planning can be very time consuming. If you are busy, sometimes it's easier to let someone else do the work for you.
I can see the allure of it, if you don't know what you are looking for. My travel is off the beaten path

most of the time, and I try to avoid the super tourist destinations.
GIJOE
AG
Update and follow up question.
We have put together an itinerary on European Destinations but have not booked yet.
Fly to Rome, and travel by train to Florence, Venice, Lucerne, Paris & London. Fly home.

I see that we can book transfers from airport/train stations to hotel at most destinations, but it seems expensive.
I expect that cabs are available in Rome and London to get between airport & hotel.
Is that valid assumption, or is it best to pre-book transfers thru ED?

We tried booking hotel somewhat close to rail station in most cities.
If not within walking distance, are cabs available in the other cities?
What is best way to arrange hotel to train station transfers?

We also used European Destinations options for intercity rail travel.
Is there another option that is better for any reason?
SwissAgg
AG
Cabs are available near the railway station in most cities, assuming you don't arrive at 3am.

In Lucerne, you can take the bus or walk. Cabs are expensive.
dummble
AG
Uber is available in most european cities and is often much cheaper than cabs. We ave also had luck booking transfers through the hotel. That cost is on par with a cab, usually 50 euro each way but you get a nicer private van.

If you want cheap, fun and mildly stressful you can take public transportation. Nothing like landing in a foreign city and leaning to use the transit systems immediately.
ontherocks
AG
If I were you, I would locate your hotels near the city centers (may cost a little more) so that you don't have to take many cabs/Uber. All the main trains stations have cabs waiting outside don't get the shuttle. Waste of time and money, will only take longer and confuse you more trying to find it. Trains are about the same price, use ED to get it, makes life easier.
schmendeler
AG
on our last trip we did a combo of public transportation and uber. usually at night when the trains stopped running.
GIJOE
AG
Another question.
We are taking trains (2nd class) in between all destinations from Rome to London.
Never traveled by train before and don't know how luggage is handled.
Is is similar to airplane where you check large bags and have room for smaller carry on to stay with you?

We plan to pack one large suitcase and one smaller carry on size suitcase each.
Will these suitcases be a problem for train travel, or no big deal?
SwissAgg
AG
GIJOE said:

Another question.
We are taking trains (2nd class) in between all destinations from Rome to London.
Is is similar to airplane where you check large bags and have room for smaller carry on to stay with you?

I would take two smaller suitcases. If you are going from Rome to London, you will probably take

the train through Switzerland. You have to change trains in Milan and travel to either Geneva

or Zurich before travelling to Paris. With this train, you can get a reservation and put your smaller suitcase

between the seats or overhead. www.sbb.ch gives you the train connections.
ontherocks
AG
Yes planes are much like a train. Large luggage will go in each carts storage area that you will place yourself usually and there are most likely going to be small overhead areas to put a small bag in case you don't want to leave it with the rest of the luggage. I would never take a large luggage to Europe especially the way you are traveling as it's cumbersome. I've found it much easier to pack very lite and pay for dry cleaning at the hotel where I'm at to rewear 3-4 sets 2 or 3 times.
schmendeler
AG
GIJOE said:

Another question.

May I suggest you take one bag only?

This website made a convert of me and my wife.

Our European travels are done with an MEI Voyageur.

www.onebag.com
SwissAgg
AG
schmendeler said:

GIJOE said:

Another question.

May I suggest you take one bag only?

This website me a convert of me and my wife.

Our European travels are done with an MEI Voyageur.

www.onebag.com
That website is interesting. He just has to convince the wife to pack light!

However many bags you take, make sure they have good wheels to roll.

schmendeler
AG
Our bags are backpack type bags. I think they are better for mobility especially with the reduced ramps and elevators in Europe in comparison to the US.

Unless you are older or have back problems.

Here's some pics.

We both love ours.

And just to be clear I'm not affiliated with the bag maker or the website I listed before in any way.

Edit: also that is definitely not me in the pics.
GIJOE
AG
In order for me to pack one carry on size luggage for a trip this long, I will have to pack smart.
Onebag.com certainly has lots of good ideas, but need some help for Europe in the summer.
Are shorts appropriate attire in Rome-Florence-Venice-Lucerne-Paris-London?
Or will I need/want to wear jeans?
During days will be doing lots of sightseeing of typical tourist attractions.
Nights will probably be leisurely dinners most of the time. Maybe 1-2 nice dress up meals.
SwissAgg
AG
GIJOE said:

In order for me to pack one carry on size luggage for a trip this long, I will have to pack smart.
Onebag.com certainly has lots of good ideas, but need some help for Europe in the summer.
Are shorts appropriate attire in Rome-Florence-Venice-Lucerne-Paris-London?
Or will I need/want to wear jeans?
During days will be doing lots of sightseeing of typical tourist attractions.
Nights will probably be leisurely dinners most of the time. Maybe 1-2 nice dress up meals.

In Italian churches, shorts aren't really appropriate. Women are also required to wear sleeves.

Lucerne, you can wear what you want. Paris and London, shorts should be fine, but I don't

know what the protocol for churches is.
ontherocks
AG
I wore shorts everywhere in Italy. I only wear shorts when I go during temps over 50. Dress shorts and button up or golf shirts and closed leather toe shoes got me in everywhere from churches to clubs to nice restaurants. Pants (especially blue jeans) take too much space in my luggage. I started that way my first few times in Europe but learned there wasn't a need.
schmendeler
AG
I recommend pants and shorts that are lightweight. Something wrinkle free with at least 50% polyester will dry quickly and keep you cool. You can wear pants/shorts a couple of days between washing, so I bring 2-3.

Same for shirts. But you get them sweatier, so I switch them every day. Bring 4-5.

This is a good guideline as well.

https://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips/packing-light/ricks-packing-list

I generally don't plan to dress fancy. I would say the European dress baseline is higher than the usual American t shirt and shorts but they also don't really dress up more at dinner either.

I generally felt compelely appropriate with a solid color t shirt and travel type pants with non-athletic shoes.
TXCityAggie
AG
I almost exclusively use Airbnb when in Europe these days. You can find some great places to rent that are cheaper than an average, midrange hotel. I always look for places with a washing machine as it makes packing so much easier. Being able to wash a load of clothes every few days makes a huge difference.
GIJOE
AG
Having trouble finding train from Venice to Lucerne on Sunday, July 22.
ED has us changing trains that have a 5 minute connection time.
I'm uneasy with that.

Read that better to book Trenitalia from Venice to Arth-Goldau.
Then book SBB from A-G to Lucerne.
Found first leg no problem with mulitple departure options.
Having trouble finding second leg.
Does SBB not travel from A-G to Lucerne on Sunday?

If not, please suggest alternate travel from Venice to Lucerne on Sunday, July 22.
We are free to leave anytime, but would prefer a morning departure.
schmendeler
AG
Regarding the second leg. It's not far. There's going to be a way to get there, even if a local train. According to Google it's a half hour train ride. IR26.
ontherocks
AG
Just a heads up ED has a phone number with free help for things like this. Give them your saved itinerary number and they will be able to make adjustments for things you are worried about.
SwissAgg
AG
GIJOE said:

Having trouble finding train from Venice to Lucerne on Sunday, July 22.
ED has us changing trains that have a 5 minute connection time.
I'm uneasy with that.

Read that better to book Trenitalia from Venice to Arth-Goldau.
Then book SBB from A-G to Lucerne.
Found first leg no problem with mulitple departure options.
Having trouble finding second leg.
Does SBB not travel from A-G to Lucerne on Sunday?

If not, please suggest alternate travel from Venice to Lucerne on Sunday, July 22.
We are free to leave anytime, but would prefer a morning departure.
I would take the direct train from Venice to Arth-Goldau.

You can get the SBB app for your phone.
www.sbb.ch

SBB has connections A-G to Lucerne about 15 times a day, everyday.

It is not a problem.

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.